Just starting out

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joseph B, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Joseph B

Joseph B Auditioning

This is my first post here and want to start out by saying this is a great forum you guys have here and has been very helpful in my HT conquest.

Basically I'm looking to spend somewhere around the $1200-$1500 range. After a while of searching here I see that I'm probably better off putting together a combo rather than going the HTiB route. So far I've come up with an Onkyo SR600 receiver, JBL NSP1 speakers, and JBL PB12 sub. Any comments would be much appreciated. Also, any suggestions for a good DVD player?

2. Jeff_LIII

Jeff_LIII Auditioning

Hey Joseph and welcome. I too am new to this forum (although not to HT) and have found it to be a great source of info. Good choice on the JBL's, wonderfully designed speaker for the price range. As far as a good dvd player, look at either the Toshiba sd-4800 (199) or sd-3800 (149ish). Both are pro-scan and good quality. the 4800 also has black level control on it. Enjoy and try not to spend too much money :-P

P.S. Since you're new, try searching the archives before posting questions, a lot of info can be found that way without having to wait on people to reply. Happy searching!

3. Joseph B

Joseph B Auditioning

Thanks Jeff for the advice and I'll definitely search the archives for more info. I'm getting ready to purchase a setup and just wanted some opinions on that particular combo and advice on a good DVD player to complement it. Thanks again and I'll try not to damage my wallet too badly.[​IMG]

4. BruceSpielbauer

BruceSpielbauer Second Unit

The issue of Sound and Vision Magazine which is on the newstands right now has a very detailed review of three different speaker lines which all sell for around $1000, for the entire package.

The packages include:
    Atlantic Technology T70 ($1100)
    Infinity Entra Point Five ($999)
    Wharfedale Diamond 8 and the PowerCube 12A Subwoofer ($900)

All three of these speaker groups are 5.1 and timber-matched, of course. They all three faired pretty well. The reviewer tested on all of them on CD music, DVD concerts, and DVD films, found some better for audio, some for video. He liked the Infinity overall the best, calling it his "personal favorite." The review is quite extensive, and includes complete specs. It might be worth a peek, as it sounds as if these might end up within the price range, and still leave you the $$ for receiver and DVD.

I bought my issue today in a regular grocery store. Most libraries carry this magazine, as well. Look for the Sept. 2002 issue.

Bruce in Chi-Town

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I will recommend that you take a look at the Marantz SR5200 instead of the Onkyo. It has a few advantages - cleaner power, pre-amp outputs, and better DACs. It will run you a little more than the 600, but will be worth it. I installed a system for a friend consisting of the 5200, NSP-1 and a Sony SA-WM40 sub for right around $1000, and it sounded quite good. This leaves a fair amount left over for a DVD player, cables, and some DVDs.

6. Joseph B

Joseph B Auditioning

Thanks for the replies. I think I've changed my mind about the receiver and sub. The SR5200 seems much more appealing(any suggestions where to pick one up at?) and after much searching the SA-WM40 looks to be the better buy. Still searching for a good DVD player though. Possibly the Toshiba 4800, but still looking.

7. Joseph B

Joseph B Auditioning

BTW, the HT I plan to set up will be 90% movies. In fact I probably wont use it for music at all. So my next question is which would be better for movie watching, SR600 or SR5200?

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    For HT, it is a toss up between the two. Both can be found at Cambridge Soundworks an authorized dealer for each. I would still lean towards the 5200. A refurb 5200 can be found for less at Accessories for Less also an authorized dealer. With Cambridge, I'd wait for Labor Day, they often have some good holiday sales.
    The NSP-1 are better for movies than music, because they lack lower midrange, so they will pair well with either receiver. Later you can upgrade the two mains to a pair of N26s or N28s, which will leave you with 2 extra speakers for 6.1/7.1 duty.
    For HT mostly, I would also recommend the Denon 1802 or the upcoming replacement, the 1803.

9. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Hi Joosepf, your on your way.Listen to what you have herd so far and go with the WM-40 in your price range. dammmmmj goooood sub for the price.! Well I better be going since I don't have a SVS, Sorry folks I am good and DRUNK! Two ct 150's will have to do.