Just starting out please be gentle! :)

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Dean T, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Dean T

Dean T Auditioning

Hey all!!

Ok I've been lurking here for a little while, and finally decided to register so I can actually ask some questions, hehehe!

Ok I'm ready to start setting up my HT in our new home. The room is on the small side, at only 10.6 X 13.6. Plus it also serves as my office. I'm wanting to be able to connect several things to the projector.... cable signal, DVD player, computer, and the XBox and Gamecube. With these different things what would you all recommend for a projector, staying under the $2k mark?

Also I've tried using the search for a comparison between LCD and DLP projectors but had no luck. I've read alot of conflicting info as to which system would be better in my HT ( I've got 3 sources of ambient light in this small room- 1 window, a set of French doors, and another doorway ) so I'm looking for help in trying to straighten out this jumbled mess of info that's floating in my head now. Some sites have said Contrast ratio is what matters, others have said that Lumens matter more..... uggg!! Basically I'm wanting to get the brightest white, the darkest black, and the sharpest image possible on my budget.

Another question.... is there somewhere that can illustrate these affects that people keep referring to... the "screendoor" and "rainbow" effects? I can imagine the concepts but if there's something visual... hehehe!!

Thanks for having me and glad to be here!!

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Used CRT.

I assume though, that you left out size/weight/installation simplicity as a first priority, in which case my answer may not be correct for you.

I would also try to eliminate as much ambient light in your room as possible with shades. The closer to pitch black the better. Look in your room now, and look at the screen, or a sheet of paper in that lighting condition. That's how black (or very much not-black) black can ever be.

I recall someone linking/posting a good moving example of rainbow, but I can't seem to find it. [​IMG]

Screendoor is fairly easy to see/describe, and will be present on all fixed pixel displays, but not on CRT. Rainbow is limited to single chip DLP. Rainbow effect is something you'd have to experience to see if it bothers you. If it does, than the better PQ of a DLP may have to be sacrificed if you notice and are bothered by rainbow.

3. Dean T

Dean T Auditioning

Sorry, I should have said Front Projection system. I know I don't have the room for a CRT RPTV in the size I would want.... besides the cost, hehe!! Simplicity is a factor of course since my wife will more than likely want to use the system as well, but she's pretty techno-savy so I'm not worried about that.

I'm not too worried about the light pollution, other than from the french doors. I'll be getting some blackout curtains to hang in front of them at least to help minimize the light from there. Hehehe, the window is already blacked out ( I never have it open anyway, I've got too much stuff in my office in front it it already) and the doorway would just need a similar treatment as the french doors.

So is screendoor minimized by the contrast ratio being higher? Say going from a 1300:1 ratio to a 2000:1 ratio? I guess I'll have to find a store that has a demo of a DLP system running to see what the "rainbow" effect is.

Any recommendations?

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Yes. Used CRT front projector is what I meant. Best picture you're ever gonna get, period. But it sounds like a digital is gonna be a best fit for you because of the light and size concerns. [​IMG]

CR has nothing to do with screendoor, it's mainly pixel count, and pixel packing. There are lots of threads about entry digitals, scroll down a bit, there were jsut a few, and you can run some searches too i'm sure. Along with projectorcentral.com.

5. Bill Buklis

Bill Buklis Supporting Actor

Bill Buklis
    The screendoor effect as I understand is basically just being (at certain a viewing distance) able to see the individual pixels of the LCD display. You can see the same thing on a larger direct view television just by looking closely at the screen. Since the LCD image is much larger it can be easier to see the pixels.

Whether you will see the effect or not depends on the image resolution of the projector, pixel size, viewing distance, etc.

Regardless of the projector if you sit far enough back then the effect will go away. How close you can be without seeing the effect depends on the quality of the projector.

Rainbow effect (for DLP projectors) - this is from the spinning color wheel used in the projector. At slower speeds of the wheel you can get a slight blurring of colors on the screen. Or more precisely instead of naturally blended together, you are able to see the red image, the green image, and the blue image almost independently.

The effect is usally quite minimal and not everyone can even see it to begin with. In addition for many their eyes naturally adapt to the projector over time and no longer see it anymore.

For faster color wheel speeds it's pretty much not a problem at all.

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Screendoor is not limited to LCD. DLP also suffers from screendoor effects, as do other fixed pixel displays such as LCOS, SXRD, etc.

7. Ruben M

Ruben M Extra

What happens with DLP projectors is that the distance between pixels is less than in an LCD so is not as noticeable.

8. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Yes, although DLP also suffers from the added artifact of that center hole, i forget what that's called. Regardless, it's still screendoor effect. The visibility depends on your viewing ratio, and the number/packing of the pixels, which can vary within a technology, and between them as well.