Just starting my HT

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Dylan_M, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Dylan_M

Dylan_M Auditioning

Jan 28, 2005
    I have read many of the posts so far but still haven't clear answer to what would be best to start with. I would kinda like a projector as I have perfect location for one in basement. However none seem to have "true" 1080i resolution. Even the rear projection sets utilizing DLP or LCD don't seem to have it. They all top out at 1280x720. I have seen a few used CRT projectors that claim to reach 1920x1080 but not sure if this is true. What about RP-CRT sets? I could get a nice 55" for under $1500 which is what I want to spend. I figure I can always upgrade down the road. Just not sure how good CRT tech is. And are the CRT and RP-CRT's actually 1920x1080 as many claim or do they just accept a 1080i signal and downmix it to 720?

Thank you for your advice.
  2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Feb 11, 2004
    Dylan, all rear projection CRT TV's that I've seen are true 1080i. Rear projection CRT sets will give you the best picture quality for the buck.
    I've got a Mitsubishi 55", 16:9 RPTV, I'm thinking of selling, model #WS55807. It's in excellent condition, and even has 1 year left on the extended warranty. Let me know if you're interested. I'm in Oconomowoc, WI. west of Milwaukee.

3. Ramon A

Ramon A Agent

Mar 30, 2004
    the mits diamond has one of the best pictures i have seen
    but i believe its true native resolution is still 480progressive. it accepts 1080interlaced and 720 progressive. and by accepting a better signal pluss all the filters and other scalling abilities you get a great picture. now i could be wrong about the native res but i dont think so.
    now dlp and lcd have native resilutions of 720p or 1024x720
    and the new dlp chips have a 1280x720 res
    but the only true native hd res of 1365x1024 or 1080p
    is the lcos or dila rear or front projection tvs and projectors.