1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Just some useful connection info for SoundBlaster card users....

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Nathan W., Apr 19, 2004.

1. Nathan W.

Nathan W. Stunt Coordinator

My girlfriend is using my old computer which has a SoundBlaster Live Value card in it. To that I connected an old Pioneer stereo amp I found in a Goodwill store for $25 (works and looks good) and it drives a set of Aura tower speakers. This produces great sound with substantial bass, but she said that she wants to use the small Boston Acoustics system that came with the computer which uses a digital input and has very small stereo satellites and a bass module that looks like a small electric heater. So I rolled my eyes and unpacked the Boston system.

Since the small Boston system can't touch the "real" system, I decided to keep both systems connected which was easy to do. But the Boston requires a digital input and the other analog. At first I connected a Y-adapter to the green 1/8" miniplug output and connected both systems there. But this required switching between analog and digital output which also meant only one system running at a time. But the real showstopper here was that one channel was cut out on the analog system - this being caused by the Boston's connection to the Y-adapter.

So I removed the Y-adapter and left the Boston sys connected to the green port and enabled digital output. I connected the analog sys to the black 1/8" miniplug port (intended for rear speakers) and went into Audio Headquarters found in Control Panel and configured the card for 4 speaker output. In this config the card sends the same stereo signal to both the green and black ports.

It turns out that even though "Digital Output Only" is checked in the audio properties, the black port remains active and in analog along with the green port operating in digital mode. So both systems can play at the same time if so desired.

Yes, I was stoked by something as trivial as this, but I thought someone else might be trying to do the same thing as I and this info will be helpful to them. I imagine this would also work with newer SoundBlaster cards - not sure though.

Good day.

2. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

This is good info.

Maybe you can help me with a problem I've been having with making a digital connection between my Sound Blaster Audigy and my Yamaha speaker.

My speakers have both a coaxle and optical input. The SPDIF out of the card has a miniplug. I can't seem to get the right combination of adaptor to allow a properly functioning connection between the card and the coaxle RCA speaker input. Any advice? Note: I have selected digital out for the card's settings.

I want to use the digital connection to take full advantage of the speaker's 5.1 capability. The analog connections only allow for 4.0

3. Nathan W.

Nathan W. Stunt Coordinator

You need a cable with a male 1/8" mono miniplug at one end and a single male RCA at the other end. At least that's what my Boston system uses for it's digital connection and it came with the cable. Radio Shack should have these.