Just signed up for SBC Yahoo DSL...

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Dave Poehlman, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

And... I'm starting to question what I've gotten myself into. First, I made the mistake of installing the IE 6 that came on their CD... now I have Yahoo logos smeared all over everything!

Now, I'm looking into setting up my personal webspace that, according to my documentation, I get 15 MB of free. They're directing me to geocities! Which doesn't even support file sharing! You can't offer something to the general public and then call it a "feature" to your paying customers. It'd be like me owning a restaraunt and saying "free air to breathe inside"!

Does anyone have their service? Is this true? All I get is geocities?

2. Mark Frank

Mark Frank Stunt Coordinator

I'm in the same boat! Just got everything up and running Monday and had to spend quite awhile changing things back to the way I wanted them.

Here's what I did:

- Initiate your DSL connection
    - Close the Yahoo browser that opens automatically
    - Open up plain IE
    - Choose the box that says "use this as my default browser
    - Go into View, Toolbars, and turn off "Yahoo Companion"
    - I also went into MSConfig and disabled Yahoo Messenger, but that's optional

I find that I still need to close the Yahoo browser that opens automatically when I first connect, but after that I can browse the way I'm accustomed to.

In regards to the web space, I haven't gotten that far yet. The $29.99 plan that I'm using has dynamic IP addresses so I figured I couldn't have my own web space, although I do recall something saying I got 15 MB of online storage. I'll have to figure that out later. Gotta play some online games first! [​IMG] Check out the Online FPS Recommendations thread I just opened if that's your cup of tea.

HTH!

3. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I can get the browser cleaned up fine. And get rid of that insidious password request I get from my outlook express every time I try to send an email... my biggest beef is the no web-space issue.

So far all I can find is the geocities garbage. I mean, if I am going to have ads flying up in my face all the time why am I paying for this service! The advertisers are paying! Yahoo briefcase sucks. It's completely useless.

I've never been a big fan of Yahoo.. but I didn't realize they were resorting to "AOL-esque" ISP tactics.

4. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Don't forget to buy a DSL router/firewall, if you don't aleady have one. I am a firm believer in the notion that those with broadband but no HARDWARE firewall deserve to be hacked.

If you're tired of pop-up ads, then get Mozilla. (Even if you're not tired of pop-up ads, you should still get Mozilla.) It's a free download and now that you have DSL you can't use download time as an excuse.

As for GeoCities, you have to remember that Yahoo owns GeoCities. So, from a financial and technical perspective it makes sense to use their own established services rather than create a new web server configuration just for their DSL subscribers.

5. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

6. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer