What's new

Just set up a new RPTV and picture is less than desireable (1 Viewer)

SteveA

Supporting Actor
Tommy - I've owned this set for a couple months now and there's one important thing I'd like to point out. With a large set, you'll really begin to notice how the picture quality varies widely from disc to disc. Some films (Gladiator, Shrek, Jurassic Park) look fantastic. Others, such as the Phantom Menace, contain a lot of "edge-enhancement" and will not look as good on your set. Rest assured that a great-deal of any disappointment you might experience is because of the source material, NOT your display. Garbage-in, garbage-out.

If you're still disappointed after doing an Avia calibration and a 56-point convergence - AND while watching a reference-quality disc, only then do you have reason to worry.

Also, my set didn't look it's best until it had about 200 hours or so on it. Be patient. You got a great set.

TommyB

Stunt Coordinator
Steve,

Funny you mentioned the Phantom Menace...that was the first DVD I popped in and I was pretty dissapointed. However, like you said, yours didn't look it's best until after 200 hours...I've only had about 20 hours on mine and can already see some difference.

Thanks again for everone's encouragement...I was wondering if I had made a bad purchase, but after all your posts, I think I just need to wait it out and I will be pleased.

TommyB

Stunt Coordinator
Just wanted to update (if anyone is interested :) ) I went ahead and did the 9 point convergence and the display looks a little better, but not a big change. I did have a question about the convergence...it's probably because I am new to this, but as I tried to line up the red and blue lines, when I got them to a point I thought was converged, they would "seem" to drift off a little. Is this just because I have an untrained eye, or is there more to it?
Also, do I need to do the convergence in each mode (ANT1, VID1, VID2, HD1, etc.) or does one time cover it?
I am waiting on the arival of the Avia disc, it should be here by the end of the week, so I will be playing around with that this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks