"just say no"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Littlejohn, Oct 10, 2001.

1. Mark Littlejohn

I just wanted to know do you guys let friends or relatives borrow your DVDS.... I for one will no longer, yesterday was the last straw I let a friend borrow Traffic and Heat, when I checked to see how they were handled "OH MY GOODNESS"
    You would think he had my movies for ten years, it really upset me. So me being curious already knowing the answer I checked my oldest movies just to see how I handled them ,not one scratch. So my question to you guys is 1 do you let people use your precious DVDS or how do you "JUST SAY NO"
    YOURS TRULY,
    SCRATCHED AND BRUISED

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Well, my roommate has been known to disappear into his room to watch one on his laptop when I'm using the big TV, and I've yet to have a problem there. I've never turned someone down when they asked to borrow a movie (which, granted, doesn't happen that much) and have yet to have one of them come back damaged, even when my brother had Six String Samurai for a year and moved twice during the time (and still didn't watch it).
    It's just a matter of how much you trust your family and friends with your things. I've yet to be in a situation where someone I wouldn't trust with my things asked to borrow a movie.

3. Dana Rodakis

Dana Rodakis Extra

Fortunately I have very few requests. The ones that I do lend are as careful as I. There are certain people I would never lend to.
    Dana

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I personally enjoy giving people my DVDs and CDs to borrow. It's like missionary work: if more people watch A Clockwork Orange or listen to Charles Mingus, then I've done some good.
    I trust those I know to handle my stuff well, or purchase a replacement for me if they damage it.

5. Derrick_Ellis

Derrick_Ellis Stunt Coordinator

This subject came up almost a year ago on the forum. I've since relaxed my "no-lending" rule. Only if I find that my disk(s) has come back in horrible shape will I not lend to that person again. Also, for friends and family that "forget" where the disk came from, I will watch the movie at their house with them so the disk makes it back to my house. When people see my collection, they tend to think of me as a free Blockbuster (except all my movies are widescreen).
    ------------------
    Derrick Ellis
    www.djderricke.com
    [email protected]
    [Edited last by Derrick_Ellis on October 10, 2001 at 01:02 PM]

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

when i noticed that (my then) roomate also rotated the discs so that the label was "right side up" in the case, i knew i was safe. anyone who is anal as i am about that is definitely a safe bet!
    luckily, all my friends are pretty passionate about this stuff and i've never felt like my software would be in any danger.
    my suggestion is pretty simple. just tell them up front, "I'm expecting this back the same way I'm giving it to you. Can you handle that?" if they say no, then don't let them borrow it. or, you can always ask for some sort of collateral...
    in any case, if you're not comfortable doing it, then don't. you're the one that spent money on it...not them.
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Only you will treat your DVDs as you want them treated. Further, it was your money for your pleasure. You are not a video rental outlet. Let them pay for their own discs--or go rent them from a video store.
    When people offer to lend me their DVDs, I say "no thanks." It works both ways.
    Harsh? Maybe so. But all my DVDs are in the same condition they were when I bought them.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

8. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    I never lend out rare or out-of-print discs, but I've no problem lending my DVDs out otherwise. I don't like to let people borrow the cases, though. I just give them the disc in a jewel case. I've never had a problem yet, and a lot of my friends could be considered the very definition of your "average joe," who isn't nearly as anal retentive about this sort of thing as we are.

9. Matt Perkins

Matt Perkins Stunt Coordinator

I actually insist that my sister & her husband borrow from me, rather than rent. I can't stand BB making more rental revenue. Plus, they're really careful with borrowed stuff ...
    But for anyone else, the answer is SORRY, I'M FREAKY ABOUT MY MOVIE COLLECTION. Anyone with a hobby should be able to understand.
    [​IMG]

10. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

I use DVD Profiler to keep track of who each movie is on loan to. But then... people at my office pay me $20-$40 a month each (depending on how much they borrow) in rental fees, because it's easier to get along with me than Blockbuster and I don't bitch about them being a few days overdue. Of course, this is done with the understanding that any scratched discs must be replaced, and I don't loan out-of-print or rare releases. I've only had one instance of a scratched disc (Pitch Black) and it was replaced immediately.
    In my case, it makes sense. The extra money helps feed my "buy everything sight unseen" DVD habit and keeps me in new releases for my "renters". Besides... I have a better selection than Blockbuster (349 movies and counting). [​IMG]

11. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

12. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I haven't had any DVDs borrowed that have left my house since I started collecting them (which was when X-Men came out on DVD). It's just basically my parents and my sister that borrow them. [​IMG]

13. Peter Hollandare

DVD's are like underwears - you do NOT lend them out! [​IMG]
    Therefor..
    i allways say no, when someone want to lend.

14. Brent Cantrell

Brent Cantrell Stunt Coordinator

15. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I will refrain from lending out since I have 2 that are out but it has been 2 weeks now and no returns yet.
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1[​IMG]
    ------------------
    My Favourite Movie

16. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    As my collection grew in size, I suppose it was inevitable that my friends would want to "share in the joy," so to speak. I never felt taken advantage of; these were my friends, after all!
    However....
    When months go by without a word, when discs come back scratched, when requests for the discs' return go ignored... well, things change. There's only one person left who's allowed to borrow my discs. It's all about common courtesy and respect. If I can't get THAT much in exchange for "sharing the joy" (200 plus titles), then I just won't share. I'm done feeling guilt over it, too.
    And for the record, I'm also a big fan of SIX-STRING SAMURAI!
    ------------------
    My collection:
    http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...=Kriegersaurus

17. Gabe Oppenheim

Gabe Oppenheim Stunt Coordinator

Actually, I AM a video rental store, or my collection is, at least.
    I work in a public library, and am responsible for the purchasing of feature films. Well, we didn't have a DVD collection, and I did, so, as I couldn't very well use every disc at once, I decided to donate my collection, and have continued to purchase DVDs and then donate them to the library (this week, I got the "Godfather" Collection, "Snow White," "Terminator" SE, "Fifth Element" Superbits, and "Bridget Jones's Diary" for me/the viewing public). I have even donated some OOP titles, such as the Criterion "Hard Boiled," "Unbearable Lightness of Being," and "Robocop" discs, and the two-disc "Army of Darkness."
    Occasionally, the discs don't come back, or are obviously manhandled, but, for the most part, everything is dandy. Best of all, my collection is actually being used.
    Let's be honest; how many movies from your extensive collections do you actually use in, say, a week's time? Isn't it better to just let the chips fall where they may and let folks use your movies? I think that, in some ways, I am doing my community a service by offering a selection of movies that would be unavailable to them from almost any other source.
    The library now has a budget for DVDs, but I, as I said, still supplement that budget with donations. I feel great knowing that the movies are being watched. Sure, some are damaged, or lost (and I was pretty frantic for a while about my Canadian "eXistenZ" being gone for a few months), but these are, after all, only material possesions.
    I say that you should let your friends and neighbors borrow from your collection. If they screw something up, then tell them what they did wrong--without getting upset. Hopefully, they will learn a lesson, and you will never again have to worry about them. With this kind of deal, everyone, and I mean everyone, is a winner.
    "Just say yes!"
    [Edited last by Gabe Oppenheim on October 10, 2001 at 06:09 PM]

18. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Gabe, I wish I had your outlook on life...
    ------------------
    -Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

19. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

I have friends who borrow a 2 day old, pristine cd and return it unplayable. They're no longer allowed to borrow. They still ask and I still say no. My father-in-law always borrows and returns them in the same condition. He can always borrow movies.

20. Mark Littlejohn

I agree with Ryan and Peter, you really don't want to be mean, but I'm saying no. I thought this to be funny before, but now I don't know, I have a friend who keeps his movies and all of his cds in a totally different room. When he want's to watch a movie he walks in the back room, gets the movie and then well have the pleasure of watching it. I think when people come over and see your collection its like eye candy.
    They just cannot leave you house without borrowing a movie, I might take in the idea of moving my collection to another room ........hummmmmmm