What's new

Just Say Julie on DVD!!!! (1 Viewer)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
According to TVSHOWSONDVD.com the great MTV series JUST SAY JULIE will be released on DVD. No specific date or details, but according to Julie Brown's website, it might be available by late April.

If you didn't watch this show when it aired in the late 80's, it was one of the funniest shows ever to air on MTV. Starring Julie Brown (the actress/singer, not the Wubba Wubba Wubba MTV VJ) it featured comedy sketches, her commenting on music videos (pre-Beavis and Butthead and MST3K), and showing her own music videos.

The set will probably be a best of DVD as she probably can't get the rights to many of the music videos she mocked. But, it should be a great set, no matter what it includes.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Cool! Now, if they could also see fit to release "Dare to Be Truthful" her Madonna parody...
It may be out there. The story had a link to Julie's official website, and that had a link to her official Ebay auctions, and one of those auctions was for a DVD of DARE, with extras on it.

Since according to the story she has the rights to JUST SAY JULIE, she might also have the rights to DARE and is releasing it on her own.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I really can't wait.

Some artists she made fun of were good sports and came onto the show... I do remember after mocking Sheena Easton for a season, Sheena appeared on the show as herself, tying Julie up, forcing her to watch her videos nonstop... let's hope that makes the DVD, lol.

Since Madonna's "Secret" is making Beavis And Butt-Head volume 2... is it too dificult to get Julie's knockings of Cherish and Vogue out on DVD?

andyEckles

Agent
This is fantastic news. My bff from high school and I used to watch this show all the time. It was hilarious. Julie used to make fun of so many people: Rob Lowe, Lake Arrowhead, Martika, Paula Abdul, Gloria Estefan,etc, etc. I loved when she dressed up like Eco-Gal and busted people for littering, or when she wore a blond wig to find out if guys were nicer to blondes. Classic!

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I was only 5 years old when this show started, but I heard a lot of good things about it.

I am a Julie Brown fan. I liked "Medusa: Dare To Be Truthful", "Earth Girls Are Easy" and her work as Minerva Mink on "Animaniacs". I'll gladly buy this set.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I think this may be one of the few non-music MTV programs I'll be able to enjoy.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
The only thing positive I can say about Julie Brown, is that back in the 1980s and 90s she had a great body.

Other than that she was almost as annoying as Kathy Griffin. They both just get on my nerves.

Kathy accurately calls herself a "D List Celebrity", but at least she hasn't become the show business has-been that the long absent Julie did.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I was just thinking of this show the other day. Actually, I was thinking it would be cool if Rhino records combined Julie's early EP with her Warner Bros. album and included a DVD of music videos and highlights from Just Say Julie. At least the show itself is coming to DVD!

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Fabulous news for us early-MTV junkies. This was a wild and wonderful show and I think Julie is a terrific, under-rated comedienne. I'm shocked to see this show announced, though. I just never thought it would ever happen. I'm guessing it will only feature the parts with Julie and not any actual music videos since that would be a licensing nightmare.

Just Say . . . I'm thrilled ! Now let's get going on DVD's of Remote Control. More 80's MTV paradise.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Now let's get going on DVD's of Remote Control. More 80's MTV paradise.
The ones with Kari Wuhrer (years before she joined the cast of SLIDERS) I might want to see a few episodes of, but I didn't watch Remote Control when it was originally on. It would be one of those rare times when I'd rather just buy a few episodes on 1 disc rather than the entire series.

Rick P

Supporting Actor
While we're doing Julie.. how about the forgotten Comedy Central series "Strip Mall"??? 20 episodes over 2 seasons...

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I just love her work! Will her classic music video spoof The Homecoming Queen's Got A Gun be included in the DVD set? BTW, my favorite moment from the show was when she played Sam Kinison's "Wild Thing" video featuring Jessica Hahn and freeze-framed on ol' Jess to show the differences in their vast bosoms: "Fake"- (points to Jessica), "Real"- (points to herself)!!

andyEckles

Agent
There was also a great episode where she was showing the video for Madonna's "Cherish", where Madonna is rolling around on the beach with the waves. Julie shouted out "Look! It's Madonna trying to catch crabs!" Classic!

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I recall a few years ago that I did a poll on 80s babes and I had included Julie Brown. Not that many posters thought she was attractive...Some said that she looked like a drag queen.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I don't agree with those assessments, but would anybody here say that she looks good?

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Just wanted to mention, TVSHOWSONDVD has a notice that Just Say Julie is available now, directly from Julie's website. She is also selling it on Ebay (which may be easier to order from).

Haven't gotten it yet, but I ordered one.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I got the DVD in the mail today.

A GREAT DVD. I had forgotten how much I loved Julie Brown. Now I remember.

I went through it quickly, watching a couple episodes and it looks to be 13 episodes from 1989. Including the first episode. Each episode runs around 15 minutes.

The music videos aren't there. It opens with a disclaimer saying that they couldn't get the rights for some of them because the rockstars were "dead or insane". In the Bon Jovi episodes, she says his new wife is too jealous to allow them to be shown. For some she has little title cards in a couple places to say what videos were shown. And in others, she has substituted videos from her Madonna parody film MEDUSA: DARE TO BE TRUTHFUL.

The Whitesnake "Here I Go Again" video IS there, complete with her commentary as if she were Tawny Kitaen. Worth picking up for that alone.

And, her HOMECOMING QUEEN'S GOT A GUN, TRAPPED IN A BODY OF A WHITE GIRL, and (my favorite) GIRL FIGHT TONIGHT videos are in the episodes.

As far as extras, there is an early nightclub performance of HOMECOMING, a making of GIRL FIGHT, and a very funny short film about Julie's rise to fame.

I haven't seen these episodes in probably 15 years, and they hold up really well. Still extremely funny. Especially the Blonde episode, where she spends the episode interviewing people at Venice Beach. Hysterical episode that I remembered quoting from back then, but haven't seen since.

This really was one of the funniest, and smartest comedies to ever air on MTV.

If you were a fan, it is a must buy.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I got my Just Say Jule DVD and Medusa DVD. I love them. I'm a little sorry that the vidoes on Just Say Julie aren't there, but since I have the entre series on VHS (well I missed one episode the Eco Gal episode) from when it originally aired, having just Julies segments is fine.

Medusa is just hands down the funniest parody EVER!

cowboybear40

Auditioning
Real Name
Arnold
Ordered both Vol1 and 2 1/2, impatiently waiting for it. Wish Julie got clearance for the videos, besides her story going on, the video trashing was funny as hell! But the situation inbetween kept me rolling, And DARE TO BE TRUTHFUL is out on home video, order it all from her website juliebrown.com. Got that on order as well, and plan on watching TRUTH OR DARE ande DARE TO BE TRUTHFUL back ot back. THis is what happens when you reach your late forties......You end up watching Julie Brown DVDs......lmao...just kidding!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks