What's new

Just saw the SR-71 (1 Viewer)

Mark Brewer

Stunt Coordinator
Just got back from a field trip with my daughter 3rd grade class to the Evergreen Aviation Museum here in McMinnville OR. We saw the Spruce Goose, and saw various other planes..

But during lunch outside I got a great close up view of the SR-71. WOW!!!! Beutiful Airplane...
If anyone get's a chance to go, take it......

KyleS

Screenwriter
I will have to make a trip up there Mark so that I can take another look at that sucker. I was able to see one when I was in NY about 4 years back but you guys are pretty close to Eugene.

KyleS

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Many consider this still to be the finest airplane ever designed and built. Sad to say, this 1964 black beauty still holds the speed records. I know spy satellite technology obsoleted the SR-71's mission, but I wish we still designed and built envelope-pushing aircraft of this sort.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
There's a space museum in Hutchinson, KS that has one in the lobby. A friend of mine told me about the place and we went down there. You walk in the front door and the SR-71 is up on pedestals and you can actually walk up and touch the nose. What a trip.

This museum, Kasnas Cosmosphere and Space Center is just something else. Its in the middle of nowhere in Kansas, and it has an amazing collection of space vehicles, Russian and American. The backup to Sputnik, some of the American capsules, either a backup or full scale mockup used by NASA of the lunar lander. Its the premier space vehicle restoration facility in the world. They even helped with the sets for Apollo 13 and restored Libery Bell 7. If you're ever in the area I highly recommend a visit.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I saw the SR-71 blackbird at the Air Force Museum in Dayton Ohio (Wright Patterson Air Force Base). They had a F-117A Nighthawk Stealth Figher on display too (among dozens of others). Very cool.

The great thing was these planes were sitting in a huge hanger and you could walk all around them and even underneath them!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Dennis, you really believe the Aurora exists? It'd be cool. It it's a hypersonic vehicle, the thing is essentially an air- and spacecraft.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Don't plead the Fifth with me, you! (And I don't mean that Kleiber recording of the "Fifth".)

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I saw a TV programme about the '71 once, saying that the plane had a small, slow fuel leak which they've never been able to fix. But, because of the low flammability of the fuel, they've never had to worry about it.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
To speak generally, the Federation of American Scientists take great pains with accuracy.

www.fas.org/irp/mystery/aurora.htm

With regards the fuel leak on the SR-71, IIRC the leak goes away when the metal in the plane expands due to the frictional heat of its great speed. They take off partly empty and are mid-air refueled almost immediately.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
With regards the fuel leak on the SR-71, IIRC the leak goes away when the metal in the plane expands due to the frictional heat of its great speed. They take off partly empty and are mid-air refueled almost immediately.
That's correct. I found some more information on this:

There were two reasons for the fuel leak. The first was that during the design phase of the Blackbird, Lockheed was unable to find a fuel tank sealant that didn’t eventually break down from reduction caused by the fuel. The second reason was because of the aircraft’s tendency to stretch during high speed flight, sometimes up to eight inches (20.3cm), it had to be built with the expansion joints through which the fuel would leak. When the airframe was hot, it would stretch and seal the gaps and joints tightly, but once it cooled down after landing, it would shrink back to the original length and the gaps would re-open.

Apparently some Blackbirds leaked worse than others (and were known as ‘leakers’), and this is probably due to the fact that, because the aircraft were all virtually hand built, no two were identical. This leaking tendency influenced the operating procedure for all Blackbird models, which would launch with minimal fuel on board, and then top up from a tanker aircraft before proceeding to cruising altitude.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
If you ever make it up to Boeing's museum of flight (in Seattle) you can see a M-21 and D-21. Combined they like an SR-71 with a third engine (mounted between and above the original 2). Check it out. Some of the tour guides up there are retired Boeing engineers and really know their stuff (they like to talk about 'their' planes)...

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Saw one close up at Hill AFB in Utah.

While stationed in Okinawa, I got to seem them take off and climb. With so many planes taking off there it was rare to ever notice one. When the SR-71 took off you could hear it and immediately looked up. It would send a shiver up my spine. Where I worked we all pretty much knew where they were going.

Brian E

Screenwriter
I saw the SR-71 blackbird at the Air Force Museum in Dayton Ohio (Wright Patterson Air Force Base). They had a F-117A Nighthawk Stealth Figher on display too (among dozens of others). Very cool.
If anyone is into aircraft and stuff I highly recommend a trip to Wright-Patt. They have tons of cool stuff there. Almost everything the USAF & Army Air Corp have used or tested throughout the years (from the Jenny to the YF-22) and a nice collection of Air Force One's from throughout the years. A great time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks