What's new

Just Saw "The Abyss" But Didn't Really Get It... (1 Viewer)

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator
I just finished watching it. It definitely wasn't what I expected it to be.

Anyway, can people help me out here. I know there is probably some symbolism in this movie and more than meets the eye. But a lot of the extra-terrestial stuff, especially at the end, I just didn't "get it."

Thanks.

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator
I just finished watching it. It definitely wasn't what I expected it to be.

Anyway, can people help me out here. I know there is probably some symbolism in this movie and more than meets the eye. But a lot of the extra-terrestial stuff, especially at the end, I just didn't "get it."

Thanks.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
It's not very deep. The aliens live at the bottom of the sea, watch how we're on the brink and send a gentle reminder that blowing it all up would be bad. James Cameron has never been accused of being subtle.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
It's not very deep. The aliens live at the bottom of the sea, watch how we're on the brink and send a gentle reminder that blowing it all up would be bad. James Cameron has never been accused of being subtle.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Which version did you see? The Special Edition adds a whole new subplot to the aliens. In the Theatrical Cut, they serve as more of a deus ex machina than anything else.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Which version did you see? The Special Edition adds a whole new subplot to the aliens. In the Theatrical Cut, they serve as more of a deus ex machina than anything else.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
See the extended cut - one of the few that is an improvement over the original. As usual, you'll find those that disagree.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
See the extended cut - one of the few that is an improvement over the original. As usual, you'll find those that disagree.

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
Yeah, after you see the cuts that they made to the Special Edition, you'll wonder what the crap they were thinking. The theatrical version makes absolutely no sense.

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
Yeah, after you see the cuts that they made to the Special Edition, you'll wonder what the crap they were thinking. The theatrical version makes absolutely no sense.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
they didnt make cuts to the theatrical version.
those extra scenes were not filmed until several years later.
i think with cameron using his own money.

i'm prettty sure the whole story is on the doc that is on the double dvd version of the abyss.

watch the extended cut.
it is the "entire" movie.
not just part of the movie as the theatrical cut is.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
they didnt make cuts to the theatrical version.
those extra scenes were not filmed until several years later.
i think with cameron using his own money.

i'm prettty sure the whole story is on the doc that is on the double dvd version of the abyss.

watch the extended cut.
it is the "entire" movie.
not just part of the movie as the theatrical cut is.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Huh?:confused:

Those extra scenes were NOT filmed later. They were all filmed at the same time and cut due to length. Some of the efffects may have been touched up but NO reshoots were done.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Huh?:confused:

Those extra scenes were NOT filmed later. They were all filmed at the same time and cut due to length. Some of the efffects may have been touched up but NO reshoots were done.

Chris Harvey

Second Unit
The only stuff that was shot later were the tidal wave shots... since the technology didn't fully exist at the time and they were still in animatic/storyboard form when that sequence was cut.

But yeah, all the other scenes were shot during the rest of the production -- in fact, occasionally you can see a slight jumping motion because a frame was lost when the original cuts were made (no error, simply how film editing works when you're cutting the negative).

Chris Harvey

Second Unit
The only stuff that was shot later were the tidal wave shots... since the technology didn't fully exist at the time and they were still in animatic/storyboard form when that sequence was cut.

But yeah, all the other scenes were shot during the rest of the production -- in fact, occasionally you can see a slight jumping motion because a frame was lost when the original cuts were made (no error, simply how film editing works when you're cutting the negative).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks