What's new

Just saw Team America (1 Viewer)

Mark Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
I've seen every episode of South Park many times, and I saw Team America Saturday night. Yes, I think that a couple of things are taken from the show (the montage song, the way the message is expressed at the end), but I think you might be reaching a bit where you compare Kim Jong Il to the City Wok guy. So they have the same voice, as it's the same person voicing the characters (and it's a funny voice). But that's where the similarity ends. They really have nothing in common besides the fact that they're both Asian characters. And comparing Matt Damon to Timmy? Come on.

I loved the movie. I think it works on all levels. It works as a dead-on parody of Bruckheimer action flicks, it works as a vague commentary of the current situation in our country, and it works as a lewd, crude, gut-laugh comedy. It almost gave me a heart attack it was so funny. It doesn't matter if it's a cartoon on TV or a major motion picture, it's their brand of humor that's consistent. And that's what I like about it. As well as the painstaking work they put into it. If you're gonna dump on this movie because it's too much like South Park, why did you like the South Park movie? I don't care if it's similar in tone to the show. I love the show!

I will see Team America again and will undoubtedly be waiting for the DVD. Man, I hope they can bring back the footage they had to cut. I'm chuckling thinking about the puppet sex scene, and to take it to that extreme? I can see it now in my mind and I'm already laughing.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
Hey, I'm not trying to make people think what I think or anything, man. That's just how I saw it. I'm glad you liked it for what it was. I didn't. I figured I should simply tell you WHY I didn't, that's all.

But if you don't see the similarities between Timmy and Matt Damon (both are portrayed as retarded and enjoy screaming their name out loud) then I don't know if you're THAT familiar with South Park ;)

I just don't think it works on the levels you think it does. No big thing. I'm glad it works for you. I just wish it had worked for me. That's the problem with comedies...funny is different for some people. I liked the South Park movie because it was a CONTINUATION and embellishment of the series up to that point. It built off what came before. This is a totally different animal, and yet I feel it's piggybacking off of the series that, honestly, shouldn't have anything to do with this movie. This movie is a separate entity--I was expecting it to work on it's own merits instead of resting on the South Park laurels.

That's how I saw it.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Actually, from what I read in Newsweek, the Matt Damon puppet came back from the factory "really retarded looking" so on that Matt & Trey rewrote his character to be stupid.

Hah, too funny.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Saw it Monday night and choked. Very funny stuff. I think it works way above (below?) just the rude/crude level. The whole oversimplification of world terrorism, the self-centered view of the world by America, the faulty intelligence, and...America's love of puppets (last one is weak) is truly insightful and still funny as all get out.

Wonderful. I love watching the Rottentomatoes site with the reviews coming in. It goes up and down, though I assume no pro critic in his/her right mind will admit this is fun stuff. Oh well.

Also, ditto on set design, prop design and really cool puppets. Let the lawsuits begin!

Phil

ShelbyB

Stunt Coordinator
Parker and Stone are both Libertarians, but generally hide their affiliation well in South Park.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Reviews on Rottentomatoes continue to fluctuate. It got as low as 60% but as high as 73% today. It is fun to watch a movie garner such a wide variety of praise/blasting. It has dropped to 72% last I checked. I see it hovering around that area, but only time will tell when more of the majors get a hold of it.

phil

Travis W.

Second Unit
Just got back from watching our prints, hilarious stuff. Already a classic in my eyes. And to think I bought the Thunderbirds movies the other day...can't watch them now :D .

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Sounds like what Jeffery Wells said about the film. He focused on the criticism of Hollywood figures and thought it was wrongheaded to make fun of them.

Course, my feelings in all of this is that I don't see Team America trying to be a political film. In other words, don't take it so damn seriously.

Funny thing was Gene Shallit's review this morning. He kept warning over and over that it wasn't a kids film. Well, no duh. It is an R rated film. Just because it has marionettes in it doesn't mean it is a kids film.

Jason

Chris

Senior HTF Member
That having been said, the showing I saw last saturday had a fleet of 12-15 year olds, so don't be surprised by that warning.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

So Hollywood can make fun of white people, black people, oriental people, latino people, alien people, women, men, old, young, smart, stupid, cops, lawyers, doctors, military personnel, pimps, hookers, virgins, sluts, businessmen, and nazis...but Trey and Matt can't rip actors?!?!? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks, Wells.

Another reason,
Chuck

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
I don't think it's that so much that people are frowning on (although I bet there are some that are frowning on that aspect) but It's that Matt and Trey are essentially using a movie and their standing as entertainers as leverage to speak out about....about people who use their standing as entertainers to speak out about things outside the entertainment industry.

I honestly think most of this would have blown over if Team America had simply crashed a studio in Colorado and blew up some puppets hunched over a table putting construction paper cartoons together.

But instead, it simply comes off as snotty, condescending superiority. Which is fine, because to tell the truth, a lot of their humor is built off of the perception of intellectual superiority. It's why it appeals to so many smartasses beyond poop, dick and fart jokes. But in this case, Matt and Trey have basically spent an entire movie at least partially crapping on other people for doing the exact thing they're doing by making this movie. And that's a joke they missed. badly. They're taking themselves too seriously, I think. Which is something you don't want to do in a comedy about puppets spoofing Bruckheimer movies.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
quote:But in this case, Matt and Trey have basically spent an entire movie at least partially crapping on other people for doing the exact thing they're doing by making this movie.

They've always crapped on Hollywood types that take themselves too seriously. They've always railed against these types of people. They realize the chance for hypocracy if they become exactly what they criticize. I think this realization may have something to do with the fact that they made their "political" film using friggin' puppets!

They are far from becoming what they used to tear down, just look at the disgust in the reviews. Yes, there are people who worship Matt and Trey, but I can guarantee you Matt and Trey laugh at the worship and I guarantee that those that worship them are quite different from those bowing at the altar of Barbara Streisand.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
quote:They've always crapped on Hollywood types that take themselves too seriously.

Which is why I said most of the complaints in this movie would probably disappear if they'd simply thrown a shot of Team America blowing THEMSELVES up too.

It's just disappointing that it looks more like they're hiding behind disinterest and condescension as excuses for taking themselves too seriously. I don't mind it too much--i simply wish the movie was funnier than it is. if I'd laughed more, I'd have excused this stuff REALLY easily.

Jesse Blough

Second Unit
"Wow. Roger Ebert gives it one star."

My impression of the review is that he didn't think it was very funny.

And also he took it way too seriously. It's a movie starring PUPPETS. How serious can it be?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks