Just saw Mission Impossible for the first time

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DarrylWHarrisJr, Jan 25, 2003.

1. DarrylWHarrisJr

DarrylWHarrisJr Stunt Coordinator

Didn't see this when it came out but got part 2
    Can someone tell me what the heck happened here. It started great (intense), then somewhere I lost it. I thought the action sequences where good, but the story got jumbled up; something about his family, a list, his boss being a fake, and the heroin, two sets of secret agents. I think I need to watch it again, but help me out here. This is nothing like John Woo's story (which by the way is a rip off of Al Hitchcock's "Notorius").

2. Tim Ke

Tim Ke Stunt Coordinator

I haven't seen this in a while, but the story makes sense if you view it enough times. From what i remember:
    - Kittridge (the government agent) threatened Ethan Hunt's family to get to him.
    - The list had the important data containing codenames of undercover agents.
    - The IMF team boss Jim Phelps sabotaged the embassy mission, setting up Ethan Hunt as the mole.

- The government was aware of a mole in the IMF team, so another team of secret agents were sent to spy on them at the embassy.

- I don't remember any heroin in the film...

3. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

"In the hallowed tradition of espionage thrillers, the script is thick with details, double crosses, triple crosses and herrings of all colors. Wisely, the characters pause every 20 minutes or so to reiterate plot threads for anyone who has lost track."

"No one should be surprised that some of the story doesn't make sense." - Frank Gabrenya, The Columbus Dispatch [​IMG]

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Something I've noticed that no single reviewer has ever mentioned in print or online:

The movie does not even deal with the basic premise of the original CBS television series. To wit:

The purpose of the Impossible Missions Force was to ensnare or trap its bad-guy prey by devising elaborate ruses—to trick them into doing something they hadn't intended.

In some cases, the IMF would trick the "bad guys" by making them believe they were in the future or in another country. It was all about the elaborate ruse. Being clever.

The movie was just a typical late-'90s Hollywood "action" popcorn flick that bore no resemblance to the television series. But that's nothing new.

5. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Well, to be fair, the opening was just that - tricking the bad guy. The resulting operation was a basic sneak in gone awry.

And masquerading as Jim Phelps to determine the depth of the plot
    was also in the spirit of the series.

6. Ushabye

Ushabye Projectionist

Paul
    It was a deliberate intention of De Palma and Cruise to set the movie up as exactly what you expect ie. teamwork. Then kill the whole team off (virtually) in the first 15 mins. I think this works well and have to confess I prefer MI1 to MI2 which I find a souless machine. The De Palma film is just a lot more fun.

Though I have this crticism: when Kitteridge looks at his video watch and sees that Phelps is actually still alive - as was Hunt's plan - how can he not think that maybe it's just someone in an MI mask like what Cruise had just worn?

Plus I thought it would've been much cooler to use a real different actor whenever someone wears a mask. Imagine the opening scene with Harrison Ford instead of Cruise in makeup. He turns to Emilo Estevez rips his face off revealing Cruise and says that line "Get this piece of shit outa here!"- cue Mission Impossible theme!

Now that would've been dam COOL!

7. MarcinL

MarcinL Stunt Coordinator

I got lost when I first watched MI, I thought it sucked, so i had to rewatch it again, just so i can understand, First time I watched it with friends, many interruptions which makes it no good.

8. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

9. Tim Ke

Tim Ke Stunt Coordinator

Couldn't agree more. M:I-2 was abysmal. However, there's hope for the next one with David Fincher directing. Here's hoping...

10. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

Not to pile onto M:I-2 but... I'm piling on! [​IMG] Awful. It was like Woo out-Woo'ed himself. I walked out of the theater shaking my head. I never thought I could have too much Woo but there it was... [​IMG]

11. Chris Harvey

Chris Harvey Second Unit

Allow me to jump on the pile too. [​IMG] What a stinking pile MI2 was. (And, in retrospect, look how much fun MI was and how well it's held up.)

If Fincher wants to do stuff like MI:3 so that he can curry favor for his more personal projects, I got no problem with it. Just make it look kewl, David. [​IMG]

12. Brennan Hill

Brennan Hill Stunt Coordinator

Am I the only fan of the orignal series in this forum? I'll never forgive Cruise for making Jim Phelps the villian! Come on. Cruise just wanted to make James Bond films, and stole the Mission Impossible name and theme song, then threw everything else out the window.

Jim Phelps the villian? What would he have done with Star Trek, made Jim Kirk a Klingon spy?

13. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

When I first saw MI-1 I was very confused. It did take a few viewings to understand the movie and after I did, I throughly enjoyed the movie for making me think and try and figure out what was going on with the plot. There are very few movies that can do that, and MI-1 does just that.

As for MI-2, I walked in expecting another brain teaser, but was I let down. Nothing but a brain-less action flick with no heart. I've only seen it once and no plans to sit through it again.

Also just a note on Tom Cruise, now that i'm thinking about it, though the movies are different, do you feel MI-1 had a similar plot as Minority Report. Also I think Tom Cruise plays a better victim in such movies as MI-1, Minority Report, Interview w/a Vampire, Eyes Wide Shut then in movies where he cocky, such as MI-2.

Paul

14. Scott L

Scott L Producer

15. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

Only one thing needs to be understood about this movie. A movie that turned Mr. Phelps into a corrupt turncoat is
    cccrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaappppppppppppp!! (say that with a scottish accent).

16. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

17. Aaron Wisner

Aaron Wisner Agent

18. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

This is a spoiler if you haven't seen MI 1, but then why are you risking reading this thread then? [​IMG]

19. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

After just seeing The Recruit, it makes me appreciate MI:1 even more. MI:1 is a spy thriller with brains and is one of the better films in this genre and for that matter one of the better films released that year.

Its execution from director Brian De Palma was just brilliant. Its plot really isn't that complex once you've understood its basic premise.

As far as MI:2, well, that's a waste of celluloid. [​IMG]

~Edwin

20. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds Screenwriter

Aaron Reynolds
    I agree that M:I2 was a waste. I loved the first one, though, and had absolutely no trouble following it. What I really loved about it was that it had the guts to not repeat important pieces of information six times to make sure that everyone in the audience got it. It treated us like we were smart and attentive!

I also thought it was just gorgeous to look at, and it actually played a major part in my wife and I's decision to go to Prague for our honeymoon. We found a number of the locations from the film on our second day there, which was pretty neat.