What's new

just saw gattaca (1 Viewer)

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
didnt really enjoy the movie, until the ending.

"i got the better end of the deal. i gave you my body, you gave me your dream."

wow. that is why life is so interesting! at first i was confused why jerome did all that. life without a dream would be meaningless, i think.

now i think my dream of purchasing the best / most expensive boston acoustics speakers is a really beautiful dream.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I saw this movie back when it first came out on DVD. I remember almost nothing about it. The only thing I do remember is that I enjoyed it trememdously — I think I'll have to revisit this title again soon. Thanks for bringing it up.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I think its one of the best of the 90s. Its very smart and well done.
Its probally the most inspirational film Ive ever seen.
A 4 star film IMHO

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
"We have to get drunk immediately!"

Love this movie. Very intelligent sci-fi flick without any crappy CG fx, just good storytelling.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Refreshing, for example, to see a film called "science fiction" actually resemble science fiction--and with an emphasis on storytelling at that (how novel!). Not my favorite film, by a longshot, but one I am glad was made.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I've been to the parking lot from the film. Looked weird w/o all the filters :)
Gattaca tanked because the trailer showed a generic sci-fi chase movie
I know we didn't sell ONE copy on VHS, dunno how the DVD did as I'm no longer at the store
Doesn't mean I don't love it, I would love to see an extensive SE some day

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
"Gattaca tanked because the trailer showed a generic sci-fi chase movie "

agreed. i thought it was going to be a subwoofer pumper. thats why i didnt really like it ( false expectation to be blamed ), but when the ending came, the message of the movie was clear to me. it was beautiful.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
...but when the ending came, the message of the movie was clear to me. it was beautiful.
Then, work from there and peel the "layers" of this movie back and try to figure out why the ending was "beautiful." Who knows? Maybe subwoofer action won't be such a prerequisite to film enjoyment any longer!

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
jack briggs, i think i did that already. i didnt lose any attention when watching the movie. i was dissapointed at first because the trailer was sooo misleading. the movie flowed nicely that it didnt bore me ( like, say, princess diaries that i rent for my wife ).

i have been watching lots of movies that didnt require the use of subwoofers lately. most of them were akira kurosawa's movies. and they gave me more satisfaction than the average summer blockbusters.

on a sidenote i just finished watching the others! whooaaa what a movie! i didnt know it was a horror flick. it scared my pants off.

Fred Bang

Stunt Coordinator
To those who don't know:

"Gattaca" comes from GTAC: adenine, thymine, cytosine, and guanine: the four elements forming DNA.

Pretty Cool.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
To use the cliche phrase, for me it is about the "Triumph of the Human Spirit".

--
Holadem

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I'm not that big a fan of the movie, possibly because the central idea of a genetics-obsessed society is one which I guess anyone with a professional interest in the nature-nurture debate has been aware of for years.

Incidentally, the system would collapse within a couple of generations. Because there would be such a premium on having a genetically perfect child, parents would go to any lenghts to afford the treatment, and so there would be a glut of 'perfect' offspring. Since not all of the said offspring would get the top jobs, some would have to take on menial posts, and as a result the premium from being genetically engineered would be removed.

However, on its own merits, I think it's an okay movie, and certainly deserves attention.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I love this movie. I confess however that on my first time viewing I wondered what all the fuss was about.

Now I'm really beginning to appreciate it. The score is first-rate. Subtle and elegant. Acting, likewise - particularly Jude Law. And it has a wonderful "defy other people's expectations of you" theme, which really strikes a chord with me. Serious science fiction done right; I wish there were more films made like this.

Also, the poster is up there with the best of them.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I wasn't quite sure what to expect either. I'd heard mixed reviews. But I enjoyed the film a great deal, mainly because it was a "pure" science fiction store sans big effects, etc. I am also not the biggest fan of Ethan Hawke but I had no complaints about him in Gattaca.

LarryE

Stunt Coordinator
I am not a fan of the science fiction genre, but I absolutely loved this film! It appealed to me on a human triumph level, and something that is a possibility in the future. (genetic engineering) Kind of a scary premise.

Aaron Wisner

Agent
andrew, being genetically perfect wouldn't preclude anyone from actually enjoying a "menial" task, such as construction or the like...not to mention the legions of poor folk that simply couldn't afford to have their children "altered", insuring a healthy supply of low-caste workers.
besides, being genetically altered does nothing to secure success, or even the desire to succeed. who knows how many would be too lazy to bother? ;)

Eric Bass

Second Unit
Incidentally, the system would collapse within a couple of generations. Because there would be such a premium on having a genetically perfect child, parents would go to any lenghts to afford the treatment, and so there would be a glut of 'perfect' offspring. Since not all of the said offspring would get the top jobs, some would have to take on menial posts, and as a result the premium from being genetically engineered would be removed.
I don't know about that. College tuition prices have been skyrocketing for years and the job market is swollen with educated professionals, it doesn't mean people are deciding not to go to universities anymore.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I loved this film, and so did my girlfriend, who is a Molecular Cell and Developmental Biology major and actually said (when watching the alternate ending with the Human Genome Project) - "they've already finished!" :) Yikes!
For some reason, this film really struck a chord with me. I loved the performances, not just the leads (although Jude Law is awesome in this role) but also the bit players like Shaloub, Vidal, Dean and Borgnine. I loved the story. I loved the execution. I would call this one of my top 5 favorite movies made in the nineties. :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:
Watched it several times on DVD, own the original + the Superbit, and would buy a Special Edition in a heartbeat. Are you reading this, Columbia TriStar?

Brian Glaeske

Stunt Coordinator
Not only were many of the story and acting elements very good, the set design was pretty cool.

For example, the stairway of the apartment always looked like a DNA strand.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks