What's new

Just saw Driving Miss Daisy for the first time and.. (1 Viewer)

todd stone

Screenwriter
WOW, what a splendid movie.

I loved the scenery in the film as well as the interaction between Jessica Tandy and Morgan Freeman.

Did either of them win Oscars for their roles? I know the movie itself won Best Picture, I believe.

Also, was it just me or was the aging process with the makeup, dead on.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Tandy won an Oscar while Freeman was nominated.

I also think it's one fine film. :emoji_thumbsup:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
One of my all-time faves, if not my #1. Great film. One of the first serious, dramatic films I saw and loved as I was coming out of my mid-teen all-horror/all-action years.

This was one of those cases where the film was nominated for Best Pic (and won), Best Acting (Tandy won, Freeman/Ackroyd did not), Best Screenplay (and won), and a slew of others, but the man who put it all together, Director Bruce Beresford, was not even nominated.

But, yes, it did also win the Oscar for Best Makeup. :)

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
For me, Morgan Freeman not winnning best actor that year was painful, and the worst oversight in my memory. This was the oversight that really begun my disillusionment with the Academy (and when I learned about the politics involved).

THIS is what acting is. Subtle, moving, and a complete character whom you feel like you've known for years. All without any crutches like emotional outbursts or portraying some disability or disease.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
One of my best friends is from Macon, GA (where Freeman's character is originally from), and he said his accent was perfect. He said he sounded just like his grandfather.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Put me down as another fan of this wonderful movie. I loved the feisty, independent Miss Daisy, who reminded me strongly of my great grandmother.

Morgan Freeman did not win an Oscar for such a great performance? :angry:

Well, that's the Academy for you. They suck. I haven't watched or cared about the Awards for years now, since a movie and performer I loved were snubbed for something totally unworthy. I won't say whom, or which movie, because EVERYONE I know has a favorite that has been snubbed for something totally unworthy. ;)

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Wasn't the year Freeman was nominated also the same year that Daniel Day Lewis won for "My Left Foot" and Tom Cruise was nominated for "Born on the Fourth of July?"

Tough category that year.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

In addition, Robin Williams was nominated for Dead Poets Society and Kenneth Branagh was nominated for Henry V. I agree that it was a diffucult category that year.

I just hope Morgan wins a Best Actor Academy Award before they give him a lifetime acheivement award in about 10-15 years. He was nominated for Best Supporting Actor for Street Smart in 1988 (lost to Sean Connery for The Untouchables) and for Best Actor in 1995 for the Shawshank Redemption (lost to Tom Hanks for Forrest Gump). Before anyone posts, I used the year of the ceremony, not when the movie was released.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I love the film, but I've got to say that I think Henry V should have got best picture (and not just because I'm a Brit). However, Jessica Tandy richly deserved her Oscar. And I agree, Morgan Freeman should have got an Oscar by now.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
BTW, I jog by "Miss Daisy's" house a couple of times a week. It's about a half-mile from where I live.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks