What's new

Just saw Alien 3... (1 Viewer)

Adam Brandner

Stunt Coordinator

Noooooooooooooooooo! While I don't like Cameron's recent stuff (T2, Titanic), his work on Aliens was excellent. Combine that with Ridley Scott's collaboration, and this movie almost has to be good. I don't even recognize the existance of the fourth movie. I won't go into the details of my thought process on this, because it would just echo Dan Neir's post above, but I will add this. If, somehow, Alien5 turns out to be good, I have a serious problem. My movie logic has trouble with good sequels following bad ones. If a series ends on a disappointing note, I can just pretend it didn't happen, but if another sequel is made that is pretty good, all of the sudden I have to recognize the bad movie in the series. This is what happened with the Die Hard franchise for me. Loved 1, hated 2, and then loved 3. If they make this like Highlander Endgame, however, and essentially pretend that alien 4 and possibly even 3 didn't happen, then I might be really excited about one more Alien flick. Otherwise, I'm nervous.

Richard Smith

Stunt Coordinator
If they make this like Highlander Endgame, however, and essentially pretend that alien 4 and possibly even 3 didn't happen, then I might be really excited about one more Alien flick.
I like part 3 and enjoy Resurrection purely for its visuals but I could do without Ripley been in the next one. That way it can be its own stand alone movie. I've always liked Ridley Scott's idea of doing a film on the origin of the Alien. If Cameron and Scott take it in that direction I think we could end up with another great Alien film.

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
crap I forgot all about this thread... I post on too many message boards at too many different times... I thought I made this on the Friday the 13th boards...

sheldon M.

Stunt Coordinator
Hated it!!!!!! Who the hell thought of the idea of all the inmates and their "religion"? Why would anyone think that would be interesting to fans of the first 2 movies? This is what happens when sequels are made by idiots who were outside of the original. I thought I was watching some lame BBC sci fi show on PBS. Yuck

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Yup, I smell a remade Alien 3. There will be no reference to 3 & 4.

Cameron, and to some extent Scott have vocally lambasted the way the series took a nose dive after Aliens.

This is their way of making ammends IMHO.

Cameron is very interested in Arnold S. being in the next Alien(s) too. He was quite impressed with Arnie's comeback on T3.

I'd think Biehn, Weaver, Henricksen, and an older Henn lookalike will return to reprise their roles and kick the series off a little after the events of Aliens.

For Cameron to acknowledge 3 & 4 would be too much for his ego to stomach. Scott feels the same way. I'd love it if they forgot them too.

Dan

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Remake Alien 3? Interesting. As long as it has nothing to do with Alien 3, involves no ingrates in a prison, and doesn't have Newt and Hicks die. Then it has some potential!

The recipe for success is do everything opposite that alien 3 did.

Some people may wonder why alien3 gets bashed so much. Because it was so disrespectful to the series. When Kung Pow 2 comes out, people will not care how bad it is. But alien and aliens were huge, then for alien3 to come along and kill everyone that the fans loved? That's terrible. And not only did the people who made alien3 just make a bad movie, they kill every single character that you enjoy, leaving no room for an alien4. Well unless you find some blithering idiot that thinks it will be a good idea to clone Ripley and have an alien call her momma.

Just to spit in the face of the characterzation of the first two movies was stupid. That movie just ruined the series. Ripley, to me at least, is one of my favorite 'action' movie stars. There's just something cool about someone that kicks ass in a realistic way, and that's a woman. We all love Arnold, but Ripley is great in her own way. When she just takes control in aliens and Hicks allows her to do her thing, that was cool as hell.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Could someone point me to where it says there is another cut of Alien3 ready for release on DVD?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
then for alien3 to come along and kill everyone that the fans loved? That's terrible.
Or brilliant. Granted, I'm not terribly enamored of Aliens (felt like it took a fearsome, strange, alien creature and made it just a giant insect), but Alien 3 establishes a bleak, desperate feeling from the beginning. It serves early notice that the movie is a tragedy, and that anything can happen. It feels like a war movie, and I admired how different directors were able to take the same basic concept and lead character and make such different movies (a horror movie, and action movie, and a war movie).

Not the smartest or most commercial thing for Fox to do, but at least a gutsy and interesting tack.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
IMO, Alien III is underrated. No, it's not a classic like I and II, but it is far from bad. The MTV video director does a fine job capturing the claustrophobia of the penal colony (liked the sepia coloring, the tunnel-vision, etc.), and Weaver's performance is as good as ever.

Now "resurrection"? That was an abortion...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks