Just saw Alien 3...

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Eric Emma, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Eric Emma

Eric Emma Supporting Actor

I thought it was pretty good, my expectations were REALLY low after hearing all the negative comments but it was pretty good... I mean they really handle it really crappy though cuz they try to make Alien 3 like Alien but they screw up half-way through becuz they ended up not showing enough... I think with some better ending this could be great...

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

3. Eric Emma

I meant editing... But the ending could use a little bit of improvements...

4. Scott W.

Scott W. Second Unit

Eric. Here is a great reference site for Alien 3. Scroll to the Alien3 column and check out the deleted scenes. Awesome 'new' pictures which might be re-instated into the Alien Quadrilogy. Enjoy.

Scott

5. Scott W.

Scott W. Second Unit

6. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

The main thing that bugged me about Alien 3 is they start the movie by killing all the characters you cared about in the last movie, makign their survival there pointless.

7. Adam Brandner

Adam Brandner Stunt Coordinator

YES! Exactly. You knew that something was gonna happen to Newt, unless they found a new actress, because the third flick came so long after the second, but why the hell did they kill Hicks? I, for one, was very tired of Ripley by the end of Aliens, and always thought that if they had killed her at the beginning and made Hicks the main character in Alien3, the movie would have been a lot more interesting. As it stood, it was just a mediocre ending to what could have been a very cool trilogy. Then they made that god-awful fourth installment (AND BROUGHT RIPLEY BACK AGAIN!!! WHY?!?) and turned it into a tetralogy. I really hope that they release the new versions of the DVDs separately, because while I wouldn't mind owning Alien3, I will not own Alien Resurrection.

8. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

I liked that they killed all the main characters from Aliens...was sort of a kick ass opening I thought..."Ok...were gonna kill all the main characters just to mess with ya..." I like that...I always really really liked Alien3 and cant wait for the new cut...

9. James T

James T Screenwriter

Adam, I agree with everthing you said.

I knew about the extended cut of Alien3, but I thought the original print of the film couldn't be restored.

I don't know if this is true, but someone told me a while ago, that the producers publicly apoligized for Alien3.

10. Scott W.

Scott W. Second Unit

I've mentioned this in other Alien 3 threads, but here goes... Newt couldn't be in in Alien 3 'cause when the movie came out in 1992-93, Carrie Henn would be a teen-ager then, and wouldnt fit the profile of a young, scarred little girl. Reason why Hicks was written out was 'cause Mike Biehn didn't think a sequel of Aliens caliber in Alien 3 would be as good. He thought it wouldn't be as good, so he told the producers/ writers he wouldnt be in it (but they could have casted someone else to be Hicks).

Scott

11. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

They could have at least kept Bishop around. Ir made you care about the new characters. Recasting Newt may have been viable as well.

12. DAN NEIR

DAN NEIR Guest

Alien3 is one of those movies that is so bad that I don't even acknowledge it. As far as I'm concerned Ripley made it back home w/ Newt and raised her as her own daughter. Now if somebody wants to make a movie following that premise I'll be happy to go see it. I do agree w/ the theory that alot of people like this picture now because Fincher went on to do other great movies. But for me, this one exists in that phantom zone w/ other non-existent movies like Batman and Robin, Hannibal and King Kong Lives. They all never happened.

13. Eric Emma

14. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

I'm with Dan. The series ended for me at Aliens. I found three so bleak and depressing in the first few minutes that I was sorry I watched the whole thing. The rape scene was particularly gruesome and from there the whole thing was ruined for me. All I could do was sit back and think about how they ruined everything I loved about one and two. I could deal with a new Newt, had they cast one; maybe even a new Hicks. My Ripley is back on Earth married to Hicks and raising Newt, enjoying a good life.

15. Eric Emma

This is my interpretation of it...

Ripley sent by the powers by be, fate if you want call it sent her to kill the aliens...

So Alien 1- Ripley meets her foe, she beats it and sleep on the ship

Alien 2- Ripley goes to the alien home-world(Even if unintentionally not knowing this) Destroys them

Alien 3- Returning home, learns that to defeat the alien, she must sacrifice herself and she does...

That is the story...

Alien 4, I like to consider outside the Story Arc, but still in the Alien Contintum because they clone ripley...

16. Steven J. Hurst

I really like Alien 3, much more poetic then Aliens. I really enjoyed the change of pace from the prior two installments.

17. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

18. Terry St

Terry St Second Unit

19. Adam Brandner

Adam Brandner Stunt Coordinator

Alien 5??? Oh no. And you just know that Ripley is going to be in it again. What else can they possibly do to her character? She's already gone from normal person to lucky survivor to soldier to alien-carrier to dead to clone. That's pretty much all you can do and more in this series, right? If they just avoid Ripley, they might be able to make something interesting. But then, the only scene that I liked in Alien 4 was when they had three of the creatures in that cell to observe them, and two 2 of them killed the other one in order to break out of the cell using its acidic blood. Very cool. Other than that, Alien 4 was a total waste of time.

Oh, and am I the only one who does not, under any circumstances, want to see an Alien vs. Predator movie get made? I read posts on this all the time and people seem really fired up about even rumors of this happening. If you want to talk about exploiting one (or two) good action series, AvP is the pinnacle of such thought.

20. Richard Smith

Richard Smith Stunt Coordinator