Just recived a HK AVR-7200 Have questions

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Bob Elliott, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Bob Elliott

Bob Elliott Agent

I just got home from Thanksgiving vacation to find that the AVR-7200 I ordered arrived while I was gone. Unfortuneately I don't have my home theater speakers installed yet [​IMG]. I am putting flush-mount speakers in my walls.

Anyway I unpacked the beat and the DVD-25 I bought and put them on top of the TV. I have an old RCA console TV that I will be using. Yeah, I know it's as old as the hills, but after buying the components and speakers it will have to do for a while. It does have RCA inputs so I can at least hook it up the the reciever.

Anayway that 7200 is an aircraft carrier! It's huge! And heavy! I hooked up a pair of Polk Audio speakers I have lying around so I could play a CD. I was amazed at the clarity and richness of the sound. I am alreay pleased with the components.

Anyway on to the questions: I figured I would start here since the owner's manual reads like a novel. I am using analog RCA cables right now between the DVD player and reciever. I will be setting up a 7.1 speaker system. Should I use optical or coaxial cables? Will these cables carry audio alone or video along with audio? The DVD player came with an S-Video cable. SHould I use it instead of the RCA cable? What is the best way to hook up video.

Since my ancient TV only has RCA inputs that is how I will connect it to the reciever. WIll the moinitor jack on the reciever carry the on screen dispay AND vidoeo outputs? How should I hook up the TV?

The next few weeks are going to be overwhelmingly busy so I won't have time to get iton the manuals. Any help will be apprecieted.

If you haven't noticed I am new to home theater.

TIA,

Bob

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

3. John S

John S Producer

New to home theater and you bought that unit!!!!!!

You may be a rookie, but you certainly came out swinging!!! lol

Should be a dang nice unit for a long time to come.

4. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

"Should I use optical or coaxial cables?"

(If I read your question right,) Yes. It is the only way you can get digital processing of the audio signal from your DVD player. That means, without either an optical or coaxial cable from the DVD player to the receiver you can't hear Dolby Digital or DTS formats. What Wayne Ernst said regarding the difference in these is something I would agree with. Here's a thread that discusses it further:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=171407

You'll see that this is area of alot of controversy and opinions.

Some DVD players don't give you a choice, having only optical or only coaxial outputs. Be sure you get the right type for your DVD player. Even though the current trend is to have only optical outputs, mine has both types. I find that the coaxial cable is not as bright (meaning it doesn't have any exaggerated high end) and I use it almost exclusively. It could have something to do with the quality of cables I am using, as the coaxial is a much better model than the optical.
    Here's one place to buy them:

http://www.accessories4less.com

but there are lots of others.

I find that music sounds better through the analog to analog mode (you're listening to that now). Some people say that the digital mode is better because the receiver uses it's processing to decode the information (and your 7200 should certainly have superior decoding capability). It isn't my experience, but that doesn't mean I'm right.

"What is the best way to hook up video."

When you get your next TV, it will probably be HDTV capable (as all are supposed to be with the next 4 years). If it has component video capability, that's probably the "best" way. It takes separate cables for Red, Green, and Blue. S-Video would be considered the "next best". (Of course, there is a 15 pin type of high definition video, and that may be common by the time you get your TV. It is like the connection between your computer and monitor. Others might tell you that this is the "best way" to hook up video, but I don't think your receiver or DVD player are capable of this type of connection.)

By the way, having recently purchased the H/K 525, I'm extremely jealous of your 7200. As far as "the clarity and richness of the sound", this is something that H/K is famous for and you have their top receiver (for it's model year). Personally, I can't find any other company's product that sounds as good for the money. If you like to listen to music, H/K is the way to go.

5. Bob Elliott

Bob Elliott Agent

6. Doug Brewster

I'd hesitate to get one that cheap. Even $20 (what I paid for my Monster Cable THX) is probably too inexpensive to get decent quality. I'd go with what's at accessories for less. Their lower priced cables are acceptable. I can't get the website to pop open right now so can't find you prices. They may be less than $20 on clearance.

7. Jonty Rees

Jonty Rees Stunt Coordinator

The performance of the $8 cable should be identical to a $20 or $200 cable if it's carrying a digital signal. Either it does or it doesn't carry 1's and 0's to the processor, they can't be bigger or smaller or different. Where there might be a difference is in how long it keeps on carrying the signal - especially with fiber-optic cables which have more fragile connectors. I'd go with the coax if you have that option, (it's the same thing as a 75ohm video RCA cable). Should be really cheap and very durable, same 1's and 0's.

8. AndrewKC

AndrewKC Agent

I guess since you've already gotten the coax digital cable, this doesn't make much difference...but optical cables should be less prone to electrical interference from other cabling since it's photons rather than electrons through a wire. Also, I've used a cheapy RCA cable that came with an old CD changer for the digital coax before I bought a 10 dollar optical cable. There was no audible difference (as you might expect), but it just made me feel better because it was a "digital" cable.

9. Doug Brewster

"since you've already gotten the coax digital cable"

He got the optical cable.

"might be a difference is in how long it keeps on carrying the signal - especially with fiber-optic cables which have more fragile connectors."

RCA (brand) at $8 is likely to very fragile, hence the recommendation to get a little better quality.

"I'd go with the coax if you have that option"

Absolutely agree.

"used a cheapy RCA cable that came with an old CD changer for the digital coax before I bought a 10 dollar optical cable. There was no audible difference (as you might expect)"

If you were using and unshielded RCA cable for your digital coax and heard no difference when changing to the optical cable, You need an upgrade...well, should try and upgrade. If your perfectly content with you current sound quality, you are way ahead of most of us. Congratulations (and I mean that sincerely).

Or: $19.99 IXOS 1M DIGITAL COAXIAL at Accessories For Less. There are cheaper cables there, but, in the past, if the order was less than $17.99 (with shipping) they wouldn't fill it. They also have IXOS 1 METER TOSLINK OPTICAL $16.99