Just received Parts Express 250 watt plate amp and...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim A. Banville, May 1, 2002.

1. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

...it doesn't have a "box" covering the internal electronic components. Isn't this the same basic amp as the Adire AVA250? I could've sworn I saw a picture of that amp with a box sealing the internal parts on that amp. I also don't see anything on either Parts Express website or the paperwork for the amp that refers to it being air-tight. I can also see light when looking through the RCA jacks, and since the internal parts are made of clear plastic, it must not be air-tight. I guess I'll have to build a air-tight compartment in the back of my sub's cabinet [​IMG]
    Jim

2. Greg Yeatts

Greg Yeatts Second Unit

I built an airtight compartment in my sub box too. Even if it did have a box, they are usually flimsy plastic. Why go to the trouble of building a non-resonant sub box to mount a flimsy plastic box on one wall.

It is a bummer though.

3. Nathan_M

Nathan_M Extra

Jim, I have this amp and have built a sealed sub with it. I have held a tissue to the amps edges and knobs and never gotten air movement. I didn't think it would be airtight when I saw it either but it apparently is. Sub sounds awesome too.

4. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

5. Jim A. Banville

6. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

This circuitboard with the RCA's should have rubber borders 1/4" wide and 1/2" hight, so you can screw 'em tight to the metal plate.

Hope this helps.

P.S.

Amp's backside is uncovered, it's only preamp part which is sealed. Maybe you do see light through the plate?

7. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I know the 120W amp has a plastic case. I don't know why they left it off for the 250W model???

8. Jim A. Banville

Disregard! The light I was seeing was actually shining through the translucent pre-amp ciruitboard. The seal is there around the pre-amp board. Whew!

9. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

Adire's version doesn't have an enclosed back, either. I mounted it in a seperate box so it wasn't an issue.

Pete

10. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

11. Rick Guynn

Rick Guynn Second Unit

I think this question was raised on the PE forum a while back. The PE guys said it *is* sealed. You can go search through the archives over there if you want to be sure..

12. Ron D Core

Ron D Core Stunt Coordinator

Even if it was sealed, would you really want to cut out a 12" square from your nice strong box and slap a thing metal thin in its spot anyways? You could do what I will do and make a plate for the amps to sit in and hide it behind something like a couch or desk or something.

13. Rudy H

Rudy H Stunt Coordinator

I have my 300-794 running open backed in my 15inch DVC's box, and I already modded it twice, no air leak problems at all!