What's new

Just Received my SVS PB2+; Realized I had a Boom Box (1 Viewer)

Allan*C

Agent
Well my SVS PB2+ arrived recently. I ordered without hearing it first due mainly to the feedback on this forum. Well after lugging into my theater, letting it aclimatize and calibrating it, I anxiously tried out a few demo discs like Finding Nemo and Star Wars AOTC.

My first reaction was, this is it? All this hype and this is it? My old subwoofer a B&W ASW 2000 that died during Nemo had more output. Checked the SPL meter again and it showed a couple db higher than my previous sub.

Well, after watching more of the movies, I realized how wrong my first reaction was. The SVS PB2+ has deep bass that you could feel and is very tight. My old sub had the perception of being louder because it did not go as low and it was by comparison very boomy. I went WOW! I have a very boomy B&W subwoofer that stands out like a sore thumb! In addition to bass you can feel in your chest, the PB2+ blended seamlessly with my speakers. More output than I could ever want as well. Both movies and concerts DVDs were fabulous. I had always turned my sub off while listening to music because of the booming, but now, I don't mind having it on.

Watching the Pod Race on Star Wars and the Nemo scenes is a real treat. You don't feel like the sub is separate from the rest of the sound.

If I had of known what a difference it made, I would have upgraded a long time ago. I wouldn't have struggled with a sub that has always been a huge pain in the butt to tune to a room for so long. This PB2+ is very tight compared to my old B&W. My wife is also very happy.

This has been one of my better upgrades. The only downside is that it's a little big...well maybe quite big. But, it sounds great. SVS service was also good. I gave Erik a bit of a hard time because of the backorder and because he couldn't be sure I would receive it by Christmas. I was paranoid because I spent three months waiting for the Optoma H76 projector that never showed up (being told constantly only two more weeks) Well I got it almost two weeks before Christmas!

Anyone on the fence worried about the performance of a SVS need not be.

Questions for PB2+ owners. What tune do you run and what crossover do you use. I think I like 20Hz tune and 80Hz crossover the best, but would like to hear your thoughts.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
When I first saw your Thread Header my jaw about hit my knees. I think possibly you might of meant (had) a boom box not (have) a boom box?

Welcome to the SVS club Allan and it sure is nice to have you aboard. Glad you like it so much. I couldn't agree with you more on the POD RACE and what a added benefit to have your wife so happy with it also.

I have a habit of going back and forth between 80-100 hz on the cross and the same with the tune. Certain material I like one or the other. As time has went on I have backed off my calibration to flat to a +2 db generally speaking. A few movies will handle more and still sound great.

JackLonn

Agent
Ditto Alan's comments. I had the same reaction when listening to some of the recommended demos. But THEN, when I was watching Das Boot, wow, I couldn't believe all that I had been missing (I upgraded from a Klipsch SW12, the deep creaks and groans. The final proof was when I was in my family room, my wife was listening to music in the HT and I would have sworn someone was actually playing a bass guitar. KUDOs SVS!

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Phew! I had a pit in my stomach too when I read your thread title. The PB2+ and the words "boom box" are mutually exclusive terms! Glad you are loving it!

Your initial impressions are actually quite common. The SVS is very neutral sounding with a flat midrange response and none of the bloat/boom common to lesser subs. At first blush it can cause you to wonder what all the fuss is about. But once you become accustomed to accurate bass that not only blends better with the mains but also goes much deeper, flatter, and cleaner, there's no going back - you're addicted. :emoji_thumbsup:

I think your choice of an 80 Hz xo (you're using the AVR BM circuit I'm assuming) is excellent for HT applications. Any lower and you risk lopping off the top of the LFE channel, which is a bad thing.

I've tried both tunes (25/20) extensively, and I keep coming back to all ports open as sounding and performing the best for me. Occasionally I'll come across a DVD with true subsonic content and switching to the 20 Hz tune exploits that well.

Other owners prefer the 20 Hz tune all the time. There's certainly no lack of output in the 20 Hz tune, so don't let that be a deciding factor for you. Experiment and decide what works best for you. :)

Allan*C

Agent
I tried to edit the thread title, but couldn't figure out how. I was thinking I still have the boom box and will use it in another system; hence the title. I am using an Anthem for crossover and only tried 20 and 25 for short demos. I'll try 25 for a while and see.

Sorry for the jaw drop and stomach pit :frowning:

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I totally understand Allan. Spell Check doesn't work on the header either. I have learned the hard way and this is the way I usually learn. :frowning:

Any new news on your new PB2-PLUS? Guess your going to give the stock 25 hz tune a good try.

Allan*C

Agent
Steve
Trying out the stock tune now. The sad part is that I paid about same for the B&W sub when I bought it. I bought it because the dealer recommended it and I was buying a set of B&Ws and some Rotel gear at the time.

This is the only time that my wife has said "That was a good worthwhile upgrade". It's usually "I'm glad you like it"

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I feel your pain Allan. I spent some hard earned $$ on other brands also. The value and performance is definitely there.

I sure can relate to WAF. I wanted to pick up another sub and finish matching up my speakers a few months ago but I couldn't do it with out going against my wifes desires. She came up with wait six months and show me some patients (considering the past few years) and then you have my blessing. So I think to myself> Heck yes! I can do that and no big fight for a week or so after my new gear shows up. A free conscious. It's a good thing she didn't mention a year though ;) It's just darn hard to be responsible when it comes to HT and set a good standard/influence in the house for teenage daughters to follow/see.

It looks as though your wife really noticed the difference and that in itself is a big compliment.

Ron Stimpson

Stunt Coordinator
"This is the only time that my wife has said 'That was a good worthwhile upgrade'. "

Thanks for that Allan. Far too often home theater and music upgrades seem to serve as a "he versus she" thing.

When you build a product that actually can bridge the gap occassionally, it is quite a validation of the dedication the entire staff puts into each SVS.

Again, thanks for sharing. We put e-mails and thread posts like this up on the factory bulletin board believe it or not (they cause the crew to work even harder ;^)

Ron Stimpson
SVS

Chuck Schilling

Stunt Coordinator
I also adore my PB2+, Ron. I've never purchased ANY piece of equipment which made such a huge difference. The PB2+, at its price point, is simply a stunning piece of equipment and an achievement y'all should be mightily proud has your firm's name upon it. Kudos to you and SVS. Keep up the great work!

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I will second Chuck's post. I was one of the first on the list to get mine as I had waited since they were first announced with a whole bunch of anxiety. As I have said before it took the place of dual NHT subs and there is not even a close compairison to sound, output and sheer terror at times if putting it that way is a good way to do it. It fits my 15X30 room very well even with very tall vaulted ceilings and openings into another room by a half wall. I am running it at about 1/3 gain but ocassionally get it up to almost 1/2. The only thing now is even though it is probably more than I need, its nice when those big explosions do come that you get them across your chest from 15 or so feet away and dont worry about bottoming it out. I stil will always wonder what a PB4 would be like though. SVS and Ron there have a great thing going and please keep it up. Your customer service, reputation and integrity mean alot and you have exceeded all of them in my case. You guys at SVS have a Merry Xmas and Happy New Year and we will wish you an even better year next year. Just don't get too big for your britches.. I have seen that happen to so many businesses and customer service always goes out the window. Also for those of you that don't know, Ron just finished his gig with the service and please with me take a second to thank him for his service to his country! Love my SVS!
Mike Lindsey

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Can you guys PLEEEEASE stop gloating about your PB2+'s all the time?

:frowning:

I have to fight off the urge to upgrade my PCi 20-39.

:D

:emoji_thumbsup:

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Try not to think of it as gloating, Chris. Rather, think of it as, say, encouragement...
__________________________________________________ _________

Good one Chuck. It can be a little hard talking about our subs at times considering how some might perceive all were doing is bragging. I always think of it as excitement or just plain sharing. Nothing wrong with being a little proud of a good peace of gear like SVS imo. It all comes at a cost and some of us have to make sacrifices to pull it off.

I just layed three 25-31+s on the floor and removed their bass-plates so the silver drivers are facing out into the room. They are stacked like a pile of logs in the corner and do they ever perform. I am going to build a open four slot type wine rack, cherry enclosure to house them. I will need to build four grills also or one big grill. Not a PB2+ but I'll think of something to call it??:D... This will most likely sit on wheels also.

Chuck Schilling

Stunt Coordinator
Wow...that sounds fantastic, Steve! I hope my previous post(s) haven't come across as gloating - I've spent (and wasted) tons of money on inferior equipment through the years, so I certainly have no business gloating. But, I think it beneficial to share experiences which worked out really well. I'm certainly not trying to "one up" anyone - my systems certainly can't be compared to some of the mega-esoteric systems that lots of members here have. It's just that when I run into a piece of gear that amazes me (for whatever reason, and whether I own it or not), I like to tell others about it.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Sorry Chris... didn't mean to gloat.. I too have spent way to much money on stuff over the last 10 years only to have to upgrade. Had I done it right or piece by piece over the years I would have savd alot of money. Some things dont change much, like a good amp, good speakers and such. Others you will have to change out more often and thats just the way it is. My PB2+ replaced my latest addition of 2 NHT subs. I bought it from just reading the posts here and other places and had to try it. I sure am glad I bit the bullet and did it as it is one of my best HT pieces. Its not bloating its sharing the message to others....

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
It sure could Allen. The PB2-PLUS can handle a 4-5000 cubic foot room. So if your ceilings aren't over 10' you would be good to go. As a reference> If I were to run just two of my 25-31CS+s in my leaky 2880 cubic foot room corner loaded, I would still be very well off performance wise. Two 25-31CS+s powered appropriately will have a slight edge over the PB2-PLUS admittedly. You could always add down the road also if you decided you wanted a little more pressure or should I say headroom.;)

jack w

Agent
can someone please define "boomy bass" for me because i was under the impression that this is what was good about a subwoofer,you know to shake the walls and floors and all.To give not only sound but feeling...Is that "boomy bass" ?

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Good bass imo is tight and articulate. It does not call attention to itself when it is not called for but blends in with the rest of your system. When appropriate it will shake your room good but do it in a manner that will hold on to the attributes I just stated. Good bass has many different flavors and tones also. It's all encompassing. Good bass has all kinds of feel. I myself can not stand the idea of a butt-kicker. I want a sub/subs that will do the job in itself. I do understand the desire to use one and this is just my own preference. Good bass is respectful and clean but when called for can be very forceful and handle it's forcefulness with ease.

Boomy bass has a tone all in it's own. The enclosure will/can resinate along with being slow and muddy. It always seems out of phase to a degree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks