Just received my svs 20 39 pci... you guys are gonna think I'm nuts.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sheldon C, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

Ok, I won't bore you with the usual review about how great this sub is because you've heard it all before and my experience has been no different. For dvd's I am running it around 6 db hot and it sounds/feels amazing, unbelievable, yadda yadda yadda.
    Setting it up for music is where I went off the deep end(get it - DEEP end? uh sorry, bad pun). I first tried it with the recommended mains set to small and crossover on the sub disabled (same way I watch dvd's) and while I was impressed I felt I had to experiment more. I set my mains to large (which are pretty flat down to around 35 hz) selected "both" for bass and set the crossover on the sub to around 45 to 50. Then I really lost it and turned UP the sub another 5 db. The results completely kicked my ass!!! I felt the music like never before without getting annoyed by feeling distracted because the sub was too high.
    Now, let me give you a disclaimer. I love metal/hard rock. To give you an idea, my favorite bands to listen to are 80's Metallica, Dream Theater, Iced Earth, Tool, Fear Factory, some Iron Maiden, some Megadeth (esp. Rust In Peace), old ACDC with Bon, Queensryche, and on occasion some Slayer and Pantera. My point is that I'm sure this is a terrible sub set up for other kinds of music like classical and jazz. I know that my frequencies are so far away from flat that it would make any audiophile cringe to read this.
    However, TO ME it sounds/feels like I have always wanted my music to sound/feel and I'm not giving it up unless of course I could do damage to the sub. I generally listen to music anywhere between 80 and 95 db, so I am hoping that this will give the sub plenty of room since I am boosting the low end so high.
    I guess my main reasons for posting this is so I can be sure that I'm not damaging my sub, and maybe somebody else will try this kind of set up and reassure me that I'm not completely insane.
    Thanks for any comments.
    ps, this is one of the most exciting weeks of my life as far as this hobby is concerned. First I receive a svs sub on Tue, and then this Fri. I am getting my new mitsubishi widescreen 65809 delivered. Just though I would share the joy![​IMG]

2. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

Oh, one more thing. I listen to music in 8 channel stereo mode (I have a Yamaha rxv3000) which doesn't emphasize the bass as much since there are so many speakers going. If I listened to the same set up using just the mains and the sub, there would be nothing but bass...

3. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

I have my car system set up the same way. Crossover of the subs is 50Hz, and the coax speakers are set to 70-80Hz. The cabin gain boosts the drop off of the main speakers a bit, and the subs are turned up. Does it sound great? Of course. What you're doing is boosting the deeper bass without overemphasizing the 100Hz region, which would sound terrible.

Do I do the same thing for HT? Nope, since flat response is so important, I have the crossover on the receiver simply set at 100Hz because I'm using small DIY speakers. However, instead of merely setting a sub hot, my ideal in-room sub response would be a nice, generous house curve. Unfortunately, most subs are not capable of being pushed in that manner.

Anyways, no you're not insane and no you won't damage the sub. Enjoy!

4. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

Sheldon,

I don't think you have anything to worry about as far as damaging your sub. I say go with what makes you happy. I listen to a lot of the same music, and one thing I've noticed is that the production quality for a lot of metal is pretty poor, particularly from the 80's and early 90's. I've got my system set up to be pretty flat since I mostly use it for HT and also listen to classical music, and I've found that I actually avoid listening to some of my metal CD's on this system because they sound so bad. I prefer listening to some of that music on my PC sound system.

5. john_focal

john_focal Agent

I tend to agree, on a decent HT setup, a lot of metal albums end up sounding somewhat lifeless. I'd point some of the blame to bad production, but it may be in the nature of the music itself in some cases.
    When I first got my system, I had the sub cranked also. While its nice to "feel" every little aspect of the music, I'd bet that there are some lower/mid details that are being washed out by listening like that.
    But in the end, its all about how you enjoy your music [​IMG]. There may be a "correct", but no right or wrong.

6. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

Thanks guys for the responses. Now that I have it set up this way for music I have become completely addicted. BTW, I tried this set up with my old cerwin vega and it sounded horrible - completely muddy and unlistenable. Thank god for svs so we can indulge our quirky listening habits.[​IMG]

7. Richard Harvey

Richard Harvey Stunt Coordinator

If you don't have it already, make sure you check out the Tool Dissectional DVD; all 4 videos are in full 5.1. I hear the new Maiden Rio DVD is also a must-buy.

Rich

8. David Yevin

David Yevin Agent

actually the tool dvd is called salival, not dissectional, and there are 5 videos...[​IMG]
    unfortunately the transfer is pretty bad and there is a "glitch" or slight skip near the end of the ├Žnema video [​IMG]
    david

9. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

Richard - yes the Iron Maiden is a must buy! It will give you chills during Fear of the Dark when you can hear 200 thousand people singing along to the tune from your rear speakers. The only fault with this mix is that they put Bruce's voice in the mains, not the center. The result is that his voice kind of gets drowned out. Still, this is one of the best concert dvd's I have ever heard and it is resposible for turning me into a Maiden fan.

10. Richard Harvey

Richard Harvey Stunt Coordinator

David,

That's strange; my Anema video is fine as far as I can tell. Are you get an audio glitch?

Rich

11. David Yevin

David Yevin Agent

rich,
    yes it appears to only be the audio. when the dvd first came out most people i know noticed the same thing at the same point in the song. truthfully i don't know anyone with the dvd who hasn't noticed it.

the point is sometime during the f*ck l ron hubbard, etc, breakdown near the end of the song. without hearing it i think it's right at the beginning of the f*ck smiley glad hands line.

david