What's new

Just received my receiver! (1 Viewer)

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
I got my Onkyo TX-8511 today, and i am oh so happy!!
I kept it on Tuner and CD most of the time since then, to get it to "burn in" a bit, and my room smells like new electronics!!! :D :D :D :D
But of course i don't have speakers, so i can't actually hear how it sounds and whether it'll blow away anything else i may have heard before. ;)

Pat K

Stunt Coordinator
Umm.. dude.. those inputs need at least a dummy load there bud.. crack baby

David Glenn

Second Unit
I believe the smell of "new electronics" is synyonmous with electrical fire.
:eek: Talk about burning in your equipment...
Seriously, I hope by now you turned that puppy off.
Perhaps the admins should add this to the "A Primer for Home Theater Newcomers Page". Create a section titled "What Not to do to Your HT Equipment". j/k.

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
Hehehe... All you fools! :D :D
I only turned it on to check out the cool features and set the names for the radio stations.
Darwin award contender??? :b
I'll "burn-in" all of my equipment at once when my speakers arrive. Till then, :angry: :frowning: :angry: :frowning: :angry: :frowning: :angry:
:D :D

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
OK/ I just did a thread on this as requested. However, it is not finished, and we need to put book marks on the top of each forum page for the basic training info.:D

BradK

Stunt Coordinator
Kind of related question here. I came home from work the other day and noticed the receiver on. I curiously asked my wife what she was doing. She said she was trying to get a cd playing but she couldnt get any sound unless she cranked the knob RIGHT UP. I gasped, and dove to the receiver. It was on PHONO!! I begged for her to tell me that she didnt have it on for long. She said that she just cranked it for a couple minutes and a "little bit of sound came out" so she turned the vol. down and left it alone. She didnt turn it off though.
Sooooo, I explained to her that this was not cool.:angry:, and not to do that again....EVER ! I couldnt tell her what could happen, because I didnt really know, just that I remember hearing never to crank volume, without sound going to speakers. She gave me the impression I was raggin' about nothing, so I left it at that before Murder 1 became an issue. Everything seems to be working ok, and I didnt have the "smell of new electronics" when I walked into the room. Do you think any damage occurred? What are the possibilities?

BradK

Stunt Coordinator
She did say that her song was playing, but staticky (sp) and couldnt get any volume. :frowning: She said that sound was there for a minute.....maybe less, like I said, everything SEEMS to be running ok........

chung

Stunt Coordinator
Darwin award?

Nothing wrong with turning on the amps with no load connected at the output. Only a very poor amp will need to have a load to maintain stability. Think about all those receivers with preamp outputs. It's also safe to turn the volume all the way up with no loads connected, otherwise those display units at The Good Guys would have been toasted. Mark didn't say he smelled burnt resistors. Not sure if who deserves the Darwin award.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
I learned in tube/massive transformer days, not to power on the amp withoput a load. In revisiting this issue about a month ago on the Digital Theater Forum, HTF member Dan Driscoll posted there that's it's not an issue with SS, which corroborates Chung...thot I'd pass it along...

When the speakers are disconnected from the output of an amp, the output impedance goes way up (mega-ohms). Some older tube amps always had an output current, even when there was no input. A very high output impedance (open circuit) could cause that current to be reflected and the amp would begin to ocsillate, eventually destoying to output stage of the amp.

Modern tube and solid state amps have negative feedback and damping circuits that prevent the output stage from oscillating.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Nice info! But don't turn your amp up to max on an empty input and then switch inputs. Also, I would never put this to the test. The Denon manual has you hooking up the speakers before you turn the unit on for the first time. Just a good practice to be in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks