What's new

just put XP on old computer, a question? (1 Viewer)

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Hey all, I just installed XP pro on my old computer to upgrade it from Win 98 and reformat it. Everything seemed to work fine except that if I go into the programs folder on the c:/ it still has certain program folders in it from my old OS which don't show up under the add/remove programs list, the main one I noticed is DVD profiler.When I did the install I did not do the upgrade option, rather I did the new install option to reformat the drive.

Any ideas as to why this happened? as far as I can tell the computer now has no programs on it other than the bundled ones with XP, so why would the program folders stay for certain programs if the computer has none on it? thanks.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Did YOU reformat the drive then install XP or did you just have XP do a clean install? Its not going to migrate all your applications over unless you upgrade. Just reinstall the apps and copy any data files over.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I just let XP do a clean install over Win 98. I'm planning on giving the computer to a friend so the program thing is not a issue.

it just bugs me that certain program folders are staying. It seems like there should be no program folders for programs that aren't even on the computer.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
it just bugs me that certain program folders are staying. It seems like there should be no program folders for programs that aren't even on the computer.
But they are on the computer. They just aren't installed correctly into windows xp. The installer is not going to delete your program files directory, that would be a rather rude installer :)

If you didn't do an upgrade install then it doesn't bother to check if you have any programs to be upgraded. Usually if you just want a clean install the best thing to do is to totally reformat the drive and start from scratch. That way there is no mingling between OS versions of dlls and other stuff that can potentially cause problems down the line.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
So, obviously it didn't really reformat then. You can just delete the old junk, or you can make sure you actually reformat/reinstall.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks