What's new

Just purchased Pioneer SD-533HD5????? (1 Viewer)

Matthew Harwell

Auditioning
Just wanted to say that I am thankful to be a part of this wonderful, informative group and that I really, really need everyone's help on this one. I just went to Best Buy and purchased the Pioneer SD-533HD5. They had marked it down to $2,999.00 and then cut another 10% off of that so I got the TV for $3,000.00 including tax and did it on the 18 month plan. Sounds like a great deal, right?? I came home last night and started reading some different threads and this "Green Tint" keeps popping up. It seems like more than a few owners are having problem with Black looking green and yellow looking green, etc., etc., One guy said that his didn't go green until after a month (too late to take back to BB and I don't want to get into a war with Pioneer). I guess I have two questions to ask:
1. Are there any SD-533HD5 owners who don't have a green picture, have had the set for longer than a month, and are happy with there purchase.
2. Has anyone devised a way to set a center speaker on top of a Sony KP-51HW40.
I don't know what to do. I probably would have purchased the Sony but as it sits, you can't put a center speaker on top of it (top to narrow). The Pioneer has not even been delivered yet so I have a couple of days to decide on what to do. I am tempted to cancel the Pioneer and figure out a way to put my center speaker on top of the Sony KP-51HW40. Please help if you have any advice at all.

Duane H

Agent
Matthew,
This shelf from Bed, Bath, and Beyond might work with the Sony. The two adjustable rear support feet only extend for about 5 inches, however, and the Sony set has a very sharp drop-off in the back (after the first 10-12 inches). I'm not sure if the leveling feet are far enough forward on the shelf to make contact with the TV's rear prior to the drop-off. If not, you could probably drill new screw holes for the feet further forward so it would work. The shelf is only $15, so I'd buy one and try it out on the Sony. If it doesn't work, return it. Good luck!
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1948294&RN=192
BTW, I have seriously been looking at the Pioneer SD-533HD5 and the Sony KP-51HW40 myself. To the best of my limited ability, I tried to optimize the viewing parameters of both sets at Best Buy the other day. I know it's hardly an ideal comparison but, FWIW, I thought the Pioneer definitely had the better picture. To me, the Sony looked grainy and less detailed and the color not as realistic.
I have read a little about the greenish tint with the Pioneer, but only very little. It doesn't appear to be a common problem, and virtually everything else I've read about these sets has been quite favorable. They are generally considered to be better out-of-the-box than most sets and to require less tweaking to get a great picture. However, should tweaking be needed/desired, they are more difficult to work with -- even for ISF techs -- than some other brands.
Unfortunately, it appears that buying any of these HDTV RPTV's is somewhat of a crapshoot. In general, though, Pioneer seems to have less problems than other brands. I suspect you would be very pleased with the Pioneer, but I could be mistaken. Again, good luck!

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Matthew,
If you look long enough you'll find anecdotal problems of any kind with any set. What I do is look for lots of complaints from lots of owners of a specific model before I make a judgement.
Chances are you'll be more than happy with your Pioneer, most owners are. If the deal you got had been available 5 weeks ago I'd have ordered one too!
I had an Hitachi widescreen for a couple of weeks with a nasty greenish tint in dark areas of the picture. A bit of research over at Home Theater Spot revealed that a significant number of other owners as well as a CC salesperson were reporting the same thing.
I swapped for an HW40 Sony and could not be happier. Not only is the green swamp gone, but line doubling and stretch modes are much better. These sets do look pretty grainy if sharpness is too high or if they are in the "vivid" picture mode, which gives vicious SVM, and any film grain in a dvd will show up on the set.
A simple 2x4 under the back edge of my center channel works fine for me, though my center speaker is only about 8-10" deep.
I think you'll enjoy your Pioneer at least as much as I'm enjoying my Sony. If the green thing is going to show up, it will probably do so early on--most electronics either screws up in the first couple of weeks or lasts virtually forever.
If your set does act up within the exchange period, that would be the time to consider swapping for the Sony.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Matthew,
My Pioneer SD-582-HD5 has been purring along for nearly a year without a single problem. And, on the remote chance that you do end up with a problem, I'm certain you will be happy with Pioneer's warranty service. I've had experience with Pioneer's warranty service on a laserdisc player some years back and it wasn't any kind of war at all. Great customer service.
Be happy that you bought the set with the best picture from the (IMHO) company that also has the best reliability. A win-win!
Mark

Jason_A

Stunt Coordinator
Wow isn't that funny I was looking up that TV last night. Also the older SD-532HD5. Anyhow how is the TV. Are the colors brighter and the 3D comb filter probably kicks arse I bet.
You can also get the older one for about $2000 bucks and it has most of the same features as this new one.
Jason
------------------

Jason_A

Stunt Coordinator
So would you guys applaude and support others buying this tv or even the older version. Is it a good choice compared to the others.
I myself am looking between Pioneer and Mitsubishi. But I read that Pioneers have a brighter, cleaner, better looking all around screen than the others.
Jason
------------------
[Edited last by Jason_A on November 05, 2001 at 04:45 PM]
[Edited last by Jason_A on November 05, 2001 at 04:56 PM]

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Jason,
I just bought the SD-533 and you can read my initial review here:
http://www.HomeTheaterSpot.Com/cgi-b...&f=20&t=000545
After 5 days I am still very happy with my purchase. As several people have already noted, every RPTV has issues. With Mits it is a crappy line doubler and red push. With Toshibas it is the ghost line and grain. The same is true for every set on the market, including Sony.
FWIW, I would advise against buying the older SD-532/582/642 models. I began shoping for an RPTV while the older sets were still current and decided against buying Pioneer because they didn't measure up to the Toshiba xxH81 sets. I actually just stumbled across the newer 533 by accident and was blown away by how good it looked. The new sets are a major improvement over the older models.
------------------
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.