What's new

Just purchased new speakers, what music should i buy? (1 Viewer)

BlaineG

Grip
Hello everyone, i just purchased my first pair of high end speakers (dynaudio audience 52's) and need some music to go along with them. I am partial to just about anything; excluding rap and country. So if anyone can recommend any good albums in any format (sacd, cd etc) i would really appreciate it. I just don't want to go to the store and waste a bunch of money on random classical and jazz cd's etc and find out half of them are crap. Thanks in advance!

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Well, how about "none"?

You must have some favorites in your collection now, right? For me, the fun of an equipment upgrade is seeing what it can do with old favorites.

But if you insist, I just bought the SACD of Elton John's Madman Across the Water. While I have not tried the 2CH layers, the MC mix is wonderful, and very, very smooth in the highs, unlike GBYBR, which is harsh in some places.

BGL

BlaineG

Grip
Thank you for the reply's i appreciate it. In response to Brian, in all honesty i do have some favorites in my collection, but my collection consists of almost entirely mp3's because i never needed the quality of a cd with my pathetic system in the past. Most of which is rock music and with the system upgrade i would like to also start listening to some classical and jazz which would have sounded like crap on my old stereo. Thanks again.

AricB

Second Unit
Not really jazz, but try Morphine, they were a 3 peice with no guitars, sax, slide bass and drums, very groove based stuff. Start with Yes or Cure for Pain. The night sounds good but is slower and more mellow(depressing even) but very good none the less.
sort of along that lines, Cousteau-first album, who kind of reminds me of (mellow) elvis costello meets morphine? best i could come up wiht?

Alice in Chains-Unplugged, Jar of Flies
Radiohead-bends, kid a, ok computer
NIN-downward spiral (sacd or dual disc), or the fragile cd
beck-seachange sacd
tool-lateralus
depeche mode-violator, ultra
david bowie-heathen(sacd), earthling or hours...

I'm a huge fan of Primal Scream so I could 2nd that, I like their Evil Heat and Give out but dont' give in discs equally as well as xtrmntr.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Genesis-Selling England by the Pound (remastered CD) extremely well recorded and remastered.

Any of the John Coltrane SACD releases

Any of the RCA Living Stereo SACD classical releases

Dave Brubeck--Pvt. Brubeck Remembers SACD

Fleetwood Mac--Rumours DVD-A

Enjoy the new speakers (very nice choice).

Elinor

Supporting Actor
Deuter -- Terra Magica

Enya -- Watermark

Troika -- Goddess

Diana Krall -- Love Scenes

Adiemus -- Songs of Sanctuary

Cusco -- Apurimac II

Inkuyo -- Temple of the Sun

Mike Oldfield -- Voyager

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Ummm...... Isn't this a bit like saying you bought a gallon of super-unleaded and you want some suggestions as to what kind of car you should put it in?

Anyhow: Judas Priest Metalogy boxset.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Shadowfax - Too far to whisper (80's new age/jazz with some great musicians)

Miriam Stockley - Miriam (incredible voice)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Righ
Recent bookmarks