What's new

Just purchased my first computer (1 Viewer)

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I have never owned a pc before I have always used my roomates but now since I live on my own it was about time to get my own. I won't have it for a few weeks. Its a Dell Dimension 8200: 2 Ghz 256 ram 80 gig HD with a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz soundcard(a good soundcard was a must). One of the first things I'll be doing is getting a firewall, probably the zone-alarm.

My big question here is: any suggestions of what the do's and don't are as a first time pc owner? I am familiar with general stuff but any thoughts would be great.

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Some Dos:
If you are running the FAT 32 File System, defrag often (once a month)

Install Virus Protection ASAP

Some Do Nots:

Do not much around in the Windows Registry (unless you are VERY familiar with Windows)

Do not delete applications simply by deleting the folder they are in. Instead, use "AddRemove Programs" from the Control Panel

Do not enable "File Sharing" unless you haveare behind a firewall

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
first off...good choice with the santa cruz

-make sure digital audio for CDs is enabled.....in control panel under multimedia....then go to the cd music tab (at least for my computer this is how you get to it)....if the little digital audio for cds box isn't checked...check it....by checkin this you are using your soundcards DAC instead of your cd-roms DAC for audio cds.

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
a friend of mine just got his dell...he ordered a cd burner and did indeed get one...but they threw in a DVD-RW (mighta been DVD-R) disc rather than a CD-RW disc.

Andre F

Screenwriter
I'd also recommend NAV. I've been using it for years and have been very happy with it.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
DO:
* Backup your data files REGULARLY to a DIFFERENT MEDIUM, whether is CD-R, Zip, floppy, or tape. The apps and drivers can always be re-installed, but personal data will be lost on a crash.
* Do keep your system up-to-date with drivers. The reason why new drivers are given is for improvements or fixes. Don't fall in to the false assumption that "what I have works, so why bother?"
* DEFRAGMENT your hard drive regularly. I have my system scheduled to automatically defrag once a week without my intervention.
* Download/purchase anti-virus software and use it often.
* Install some kind of firewall, whether hardware or software, to prevent intrusion while on the Internet.
* Consider Netscape, Mozilla, or Opera for web browsing. The hundreds of security flaws in IE should be enough to justify the time it takes to download, install, and use something other than IE.
DO NOT:
* Use Microsoft Outlook for e-mail. AND I MEAN IT!!!! All of the major e-mail trojans have been based on exploiting system hooks that are ingrained into OutLook! You don't even need to fully OPEN your e-mail for a virus to activate! I am a UNIX and NT system and network administrator by profession. I have cleaned up messes from Outlook-based viruses on several occasions! Use Netscape's mail client or Eudora (both free) instead since they are only vulnerable to attachments that you manually run yourself, in which case you deserve what you get.
* Run any attachment without running it through an anti-virus scanner first. Even if you know the person who sent it, how do you know that they know they are infected?
* Install every blessed thing that you download because it's so "kewl". Be vary careful of what you install. Many programs are including "spyware" that tracks your habits and reports that back to the company. Your browsing habits are none of their business, and those "kewl" programs always take up resources.
* Fall victim to the "It will never happen to me" syndrome and not back up your data. Hard drives are mechanical devices that will (not might) fail eventually.
* Share your files unless you have a home network, and even then make sure that you password-protect the drives that are being shared.
I think that's enough for now. :)

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
>>* Do keep your system up-to-date with drivers. The reason why new drivers are given is for improvements or fixes. Don't fall in to the false assumption that "what I have works, so why bother?"

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
There's a bit of a "gotcha" in this area. For one, the Windows update drivers are often behind what's available at the manufacturer's site (e.g. NVIDIA, SoundBlaster,..), sometimes by as much as 6 months.
I *never* use Microsoft update. I always go directly to the manufacturer. It's their hardware, for Pete's sake! :D Why would anyone even want to go through a third party?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
don't forget to open it up and give it a good cleaning with some compressed air once in a while.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
Dell comes with NAV, but it's only for 60 (or 90) days, so go get yourself a copy before time is up and they are basically priced like dirt these days.
Actually you should be able to buy a years worth of Live Updates from Symentac for $4.95. Most likely the version of anti virus will point you in that direction when your 60 days are up. If you have a broadband connection you can set norton anti-virus up to automatically update your virus definition files.

oh yeah;

DUDE YOUR GETTING A DELL!!!

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
>>Actually you should be able to buy a years worth of Live Updates from Symentac for $4.95.

DougRogers

Stunt Coordinator
Download and install Adaware Run it weekly. I don't like NAV but that is me. I use AVG Antivirus It automatically updates and scans all incoming and outgoing email and it's FREE.
I tried ZoneAlarm one time and hated it. I went out and bought a DI-704P and it is much less intrusive than Zonealarm IMHO. However Zonealarm is free the last time I looked.
Oh yeah, use Eudora. It's free and I would contend, better than Outlook.
Doug

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
Do you guys ever defrag your NTFS systems? I tried to start it last week but it got 1% done in about 5 mins :frowning:

DougRogers

Stunt Coordinator
I use NTFS and have been for about 2 years and I never defrag. I probably should but I usually run until my hard drive is full, backup important files, format, reinstall everything all over. That usually happens about once every six months and has taken place over the last 8 years. Back when Win 95 came around I formated about once a month. What a buggy POS that was or it could have been my POS Packard Bell. :) Sorry for the Off Topic rant there.
Doug

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Use Microsoft Outlook for e-mail. AND I MEAN IT!!!!
It's already been said at least twice, so I'll say it again. Don't use Outlook or Outlook Express.

Actually, the first thing I did with both of my Dells was wipe the hard drives and do a fresh re-install, but that's something you'll have to work up to.

Have fun!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Do not said:
I disagree: if stuff works, then leave it be. New drivers don't always improve functionality; updating drivers is not always a painless process and can cause problems.
But more importantly, buying from Dell (or any other PC maker) means that your hardware is likely a version built for Dell and has some specific drivers that are not identical to the ones for retail products. Updating your drivers from the hardware manufacturer instead of Dell doesn't always work so well. (As a pleased Dell customer, I know of what I speak).
My experience: check Dell's website for new drivers every few months (they are infrequent). Don't fool around with other sources until you're comfortable doing "dangerous" things with your computer (similar to playing with the Registry), because it doesn't always work well.
Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks