Just purchased bose 301's and VC10 Center -- need help

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by DerekW, Aug 17, 2003.

1. DerekW

DerekW Auditioning

Hi, I just recently purchased the bose 301 Bookshelf speakers and the VC10 (i think thats the model) center channel... I am not all that happy about my purchase and just ordered the HC6 system from best buy so that I can do a side by side comparison... I just wanted to know what everyone else thought of this idea? Should I keep the bose or do you think the AR HC6 will be a better system... I am currently setting up a home theater system in my room at a townhouse.. my bedroom is like 15x15 so it is not that big.. I currently have the panasonic SA-HE200 model reciever
    And the sony 34" Widescreen direct view tv... I need a set of speakers to go with my home theater system that will mostly (but note not all the time) be used for watching movies
    Thanks a bunch
    -Derek

2. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

If you purchased that Bose setup, you are in need of serious help[​IMG]...

Seriously, though, compare them and choose which you like better. I have read that the new 301 is actually pretty good (Gramophone reviewed them), but only your ears can tell you which to keep.

3. DerekW

DerekW Auditioning

well, i have a problem with waiting for things... so i kinda got anxious and went ahead and got the bose.... they dont seem to have much range to them... and the center channel seems to distort whenever i turn it up. anyone have any similar experiences?

4. Jason_Me

Jason_Me Stunt Coordinator

Do a search on this forum for Bose.

5. Tony Genovese

What Jason said...

6. RickLe

RickLe Stunt Coordinator

DerekW, while I was in the service in the 80's Bose seemed the rave. I bought a pair of 501's that sounded at best "terrible". They were returned in less that 24 hours.

My first jump back into Hi-Fi came back in 96 and once again I went with Bose 301's. I too hate to wait for anything to arrive, and living in northwest Montana there's not alot of options. The Bose 301's sat in my house for just under a week until they went back. For what you pay for Bose there's alot out there that will simply blow them out of the water (and some for less). My home system is internet purchased and it took almost two full months just to get running but the wait was well worth it.

7. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I have to agree, Bose is not at all good. I owned the Bose Acoustimess system and it was just an awful piece of garbage. I also owned a pair of 151's for outside listening.

I have to say when I purchased my Klipsch system I couldn't believe what a difference there was. Everything sounded amazing. I have read Bose basically uses "radioshack" parts in there systems that cost them near nothing.

With Bose, they make it for $20 and sell it for $300, it's all profit for them from an uneducated buyer, such as me before I knew anything.

I'm sure your other purchase will be much better, Bose usually can't beat much more than a boombox in my opinion.

8. Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter Second Unit

Run, dont walk.... return those BLOSE speakers as fast as you can. Utter garbage! You want bose looks, (tiny satilites) but a million times the sound quality? Look at the new Rocket Tykes from Onix. They are still about a month out tho. That is the only problem.

However, you said bookshelves, in which Onix also has very good versions of those as well. You may want to check out their website. They have the RS150's and RS250's for bookshelves.

First pic is the new Rockey Tykes. Second pics is the Tykes, the RS150 bookshelves, and one of the speakers (grill on) from the new ELT Home Theater package. (extremely lucious theater)

http://forum.av123.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=12907
    http://forum.av123.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=12910

9. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

To add to Adam’s post, the Rocket 150s are $400 a pair and so much better than the 301s that they really can’t be compared.

The ELT satellites (the use the same drivers as the 150s) are also much better than the 301s. I heard the whole ELT package, which can be had for $900—this includes a powered subwoofer in addition to the center channel and four satellite speakers. I don’t remember any of the component prices, but I think that a pair of the satellite speakers would be $250–$300.

You could call the guys at AV123 for a quote.

I have not heard the ‘Tykes’, so I can’t comment. I do have a set on order and I plan to evaluate.

10. Lew Crippen

The HC6 system is analogous to the ‘Tykes’ in Adam’s picture. IMO you will be more satisified with that system than the Bose speakers.

But if you can find $900. go for the ELT. If not, you can begin with a pair of the ELT satellites, adding their center speaker and subwoofer as you are able. The final step would be to get another pair of the satellite speakers for the surrounds.

BTW, the ELT center speaker is so much better than the VC-10 that you will be amazed. I listened to a demo of this system (the Matrix lobby scene—a favorite for demos by almost everyone) and the center was up to the task of reproducing speech.

11. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

In my own experience, the VC-10 is the worst center speaker I have ever used. I compared it to a speaker that I got with my first HTIB package, a $300 panasonic system, and the speaker that came supplied with the HTIB kicked the vc-10's ass. JMHO, though, but Bose is way, way, way overpriced.

12. Tony Genovese

Lew:

Have you heard the new 301? The Gramophone gave it a very good review, so I was wondering whether they were coming out of left field, or whether your comments are based on hearsay.

13. Lew Crippen

Tony, I have not heard the new 301. But I didn’t think that my comment was based on heresy, as I have heard the old 301 and was not particularly impressed—I would say that the last time I listened closely to a 301, 501, or 901 was about five years ago.

I have heard most of the Rocket line (though not all). The RS150s have a much better soundstage (and remember this is not an A/B comparison, as I probably could not accurately compare speakers a week apart, much less five years) than the 301s (and given that the driver setup has not changed, I would not expect that the soundstage will change at all), not nearly as detailed and don’t go as low. I have listened to music on the 150s without a sub and while I would recommend one, you can get by for a while without one.

I have not listened to the ELT system sans sub, so while I was very impressed with the system as a whole, it would not be fair to compare the whole system to the 301s on their own.

I’d be pretty confident that the 150s would be much better than the 301s in an A/B—but someone would have to do that. I expect that the ELT satellites would be better than the Bose as well—and I believe that they are also cheaper.

On the center there is no comparison. Chung is pretty much on target—the VC-10 appears to be designed for looks. The ELT center speaker with its two woofers (albeit small), mid-range and tweeter is a very fine speaker. The RSC100 (matching center to the RS150s) is in a different class altogether.

To be fair to the VC-10, it has been a couple of years since I listened to it, so it may have been improved.

Maybe I'll go down to the Bose store and listen to the new 301s so I can comment with authority. I’d never discount any manufacturers products. After all Bose makes a very fine noise-reducing pair of headphones that I have used on airplanes.

And some of their other products are not necessarily bad—they just don’t meet my price point.

14. DerekW

DerekW Auditioning

Well, my main thing is the center channel seems to distort when I turn it up... another thing... they are taking up a lot of space and im really trying to conseerve some space... check it out

galaxy-pc.com/albums/Townhouse/IMG_0357.sized.jpg

15. Alex-F-V

Alex-F-V Stunt Coordinator

So you want small speakers... but would like big sound?

Energy Take5.2!

I just bought these speakers and have only had them for a week and they sound absolutley amazing! And considering the space they "take" up (pun intended), its almost miraculous.
    I tried a lot of speakers and for the size and price I could not find anything better. $600 for the speakers and $300 for the sub. I love these, but I'm not sure if you want to spend that much (didn't see an exact budget listed).
    Small satellites... big sound check them out at

www.Energy-Speakers.com

BTW... the maple finish on these (optional, but same price) is absolutely gorgeous and the build quality excellent!

16. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

The Klipsch Quintet's also offer BIG sound, very BIG sound, they sound just like floor standings but of course do lack some of the lower frequencies.

As for Bose, they are mainly on looks and nothing else. They make everything in pretty bad quality. Most people hear Bose and think it sounds good in the demo room but of course they use things that are 10x better than what the real owner will ever use, and i'm sure they use better speakers for there demo's.