What's new

Just purchased a Toshiba HDTV...!!! (1 Viewer)

Mike Baldwin

Stunt Coordinator
How are you doing guys. I don't post much just yet, but I have been following the forum for a while. I love the great advice. On topic thou. I just purchased the toshiba 51" Digital Progection TV. I think the model number is

51H83.

I can't post the link but just go to bestbuy.com and check it out. I purchased a set of Component cable also threw BJ's with help from the forum. I would like to know what everyone thinks of this TV and if it is a good contender. I was at best buy and watched it for a while and with the same as cash for 24 months, I had to get it. I can't wait to get it. I also have a question for the DVI input. What would be the best way to take advantage of this. that is an input for the Dvd player directly correct. If so I need a new DVD player adn I would like to get progressive scan. I read that the older models have better chips in them, any reconmendations for a unit to my my toshiba. Sorry about all the questions. I just love this hobby. it is a bit expensive thou. I don't care, I have 300 DVD's to watch now on a nice screen...Can't wait.

Mike

david kennedy

Stunt Coordinator
I am about to post a question concerning the Toshiba you just bought. I would like to know what you think about it yourself. I was also looking for a hdtv with 720p and a dvi port. I was choosing between the 57H83 and the mitsu WS554138.

Mike Baldwin

Stunt Coordinator
The DVD's, well while I was deployed overseas, a friend was in desprite need of some money so he sold me like half his collection. It was like two of those 72 dvd notebooks. Thing thou is I don't have cases for them all. I still like having all the movies thou.

I was at best buy when I bought the tv and sat in front of a hititachi/sony/mitsu/and panny. I think the sony had a great picture, little brighter, the panny was ok, and so was the mitsu, but I really liked the toshiba and it also came with 24 months same as cash, so I went for it. I haven't received it yet, will be deleivered on Wed. Can't wait.

Mike

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
I've got that same TV. I can't comment on the Mitsu, but I felt is was the best PQ of any of the sets (in the price range of course) that I auditioned.

As far as DVI, well Samsung (and I'm not sure if any others yet) has an HD-DVD player that uses a DVI output. I have to admit, although I've only seen it on DLP's, that I am not a big fan of it though. Watching it and comparing it to a Sony 725 with good component cables, the sony blew it away and at nearly half the price (including cables). I found there to be a lot of 'noise' or 'dot crawl' in the image.
Maybe it was just that player...
Also, most HD decoders will probably utilize DVI soon.

favian

Auditioning
congrats on the new tv. I recently got the 57hx83, and was having the same questions as you are. After a month of reading, posting, studying and talking about this subject this is what I have decided on.
Dvi connection removes the digital to analogue to digital transfer used in the component connection, it keeps everything in the digital domain. Right now only the really high end dvd players have dvi as an option.
You want a good progressive dvd player obviously, as did I. I have tested 5 players so far. The harmond/kardon dvd25 and the Denon 2200 were the best. Whats the difference? The Denon has sacd audio and a much thicker manual. It has allot more bells and whistles to play with than the hk. What it comes down to is quality of picture, and audio if that's your thing. My Marantz 7200 does a fine job at that.
The hk is $600 cnd, the 2200 $1000. Is it worth $400 more? Not in my opinion. The picture quality is amazing on the hk. As it is on the Denon. And as I said before I am not interested in sacd audio. Will you get a better picture off a $5000 dvd player? Maybe, I don't think that much.
Not until hd-dvd's are on the market and the digital connectors such as dvi are standard should we need to worry about dvi.
Make sure you try different players so you know what you are happy with. A neat trick to try, buy two different dvd players hook both up using component cables and borrow a dvd of a good movie, LOTR or Lion King, so you have 2 on hand, set the tv to split screen and play both at the same time and compare the two.
Remeber to get good cables! And not all dvd's are created equal.

Mike Baldwin

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks alot for the info. It was really handy. Question thou, what about the new samsung HD931. I saw one first hand yesterday at BB and it was pretty impressive. I really liked the pic quaility. Now that will have the DVI imput so that DVD player and my TV would be good mates right. I really like HK and Denon, but those are a little out of my price range. I also read that the older pro-scan dvd players were built better, if i can get my hands on an older pioneer elite pro-scan would that be better then teh samsung. I just want the best for under a budget, i can't spend 500usd on a dvd player unless its going to power my HT too and give me SACD. I still have to get a nice receiver. Thanks for the input.

Mike

favian

Auditioning
Don't forget what you see in a store may not be what you see when you come home. Make sure you set the picture using video essentials or avia. Not all tvs, dvds or players are created equal nor do they always work the same together. There are as many different combos of equipment as there are people, what it all comes own to is personal preference an what you are happy with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks