What's new

Just purchased a 57H82: poor picture quality (1 Viewer)

Chad Viro

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Everyone:
Firstly, I would like to introduce myself to the community. This is my first post!! I have been reading the forums for awhile, but did not register until today. So hello to all!

I just purchased the Toshiba 57H82 and I am having some serious image quality issues. I am experiencing some 'grainy' images. I have done the conversion(9 point) and messed with the contrast/brightness, however the grainy image texture does not leave. I have Cox Digital Cable(digital box contains S-Video, Red-Yellow-White connectors, and regular cable connector). I am currently running the r-y-w connectors(have tried regular cable connector to no evail).

Also, when I watch dvd's the image is also poor. For example, when i put in lord of the rings, the FIREWORK scene looked horrible. The 'lighting' of the fireworks was blotchy and patchy, and the image also looked very granular. Is this becuase of my dvd player? Its a JVC D701 (no progressive scan).

Can someone offer me some advice? I saved my money for this tv for the past few months, and the texture is disapointing me a lot. Enough to make a grown man cry!!! (i am 'almost' to that point!).

Help me Home-theater-forum, you are my only hope!! (ok, it sounded better when princess leia said it!)

greg_t

Screenwriter
Make sure that you have your DVD player set to 16x9 mode and that when watching anamaphoric dvd's, you use the appropriate screen mode. I think on the Toshibas this is full mode. I wouldn't think that having a non progressive scan dvd player would matter much as your set will upconvert any 480 interlace or 480progressive signal to 540P. Make sure that your cables are good. As for the digital cable, try out different screen modes and see which works best. It will not be full mode, but one of the Theater wide modes. Most HDTV sets will not look real good with cable in the first place. But your image with DVD should be quite good. If all of your settings are correct, it may be that you have a bad set. Hope this helps.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Also set your TV to movie mode, and perhaps even further reduce the brightness setting.

Keep us posted.

Jason Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
I have this unit and after running it through 100 or so hours the past two weeks, can say it definitely gets better with age. So if you haven't already, give it a few weeks to "break in". Also, I noticed a big difference with the way it is hooked up. I have a digital cable box going into my colorstream (component) connection, and regular channels look pretty bad with it. I also have a splitter on the incoming cable line going into Ant1. That one looks pretty good, but unfortunatly you don't get channels above 100 on this connection (no digital converter inside the TV). The difference between cable from the box on colorstream and Ant1 is very noticable...

Now for DVD, that has looked pretty good from the start. I did a 56pt convergence the first weekend, and it was quite a bit off. I suspect yours may be off too. That can cause it to be a little blurry and grainy. You should look into getting away from 9pt and only doing 56pt. Also, how do you have your DVD player hooked up? Even without progressive scan, it should look good. Do you have component connections? The settings in your DVD player and even some of the other settings in the TV does affect the picture and cause things like you have mentioned.

Hang in there! With some "tweaking" and a little time, you can get a great picture with this set. If that doesn't help, you may have to look into getting better cables/equipment (better DVD player)...

Chad Viro

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply, guys.

To answer a few questions, I do have the dvd player set to 16:9 viewing and it is connected up with composite cables. I did have the option set to MOVIE mode.

Ok, here is my question:
-What does everyone have their brightness/contrast/sharpness set to when watching dvds?
-How do I do a 56pt convergence?
-Could it really be a 'bad' tv? :frowning:

Alan M

Second Unit
Chad,I own the 65h82,and like you ,was disappointed when I 1st hooked it up and looked at the picture.
With some tweaking the picture has changed from so so to simply amazing on dvd's and hd tv.Direct tv has its moments,when some channels look good to some being just acceptable.
I even want so far to call service and have them come out to check the focus and grid just to make sure everything was set(guns can and do loosen during shipment).
Your 57 should give you great results when watching dvd's.
My settings are
contrast 33
brightness 36
sharpness 25
Dont worry,with a little time spent using the avia disk and a little more time on personnal tweaks,your set should give you a picture to be proud of.
Congradulations on your purchase.

greg_t

Screenwriter
The brightness, contrast, etc settings will vary from room to room and set to set, so what one person has for their settings may not be right for your environment. YOu should pick up a copy of Avia or Video essentials if you haven't yet. Also, you said above that you are connected with "composite" cables. I assume you meant component cables. If you are hooked up with a composite cable, you need to go with either S-video or component.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Chad: The player is connected via composite cables? Try component-video cables. It's really the only way to go. Also, follow the advice you've been given here. That's a really good set. JB

Chad Viro

Stunt Coordinator
Hello everyone, thanks for helping. Oops, I didnt mean to say 'composite' cables. I am using component cables(not very good ones, however, would that cause the grainyness?). Component being red-white-yellow correct?

Exactly where can I get the Avia or Video Essentials dvds?

greg_t

Screenwriter
Generally, the red and white are audio cables and the yellow is a video composite cable. I'm not a cable expert, but this could well be a problem. I would suggest going to your local radio shack or best buy and getting true component cables and try them out. If it doesn't make any difference, you could return them. But it sounds to me like you're using two audio cables and one composite. Again, I'm not a cable expert, so maybe someone can tell us for sure if you can't use the red/white audio cables for video?

Chad Viro

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for commenting, Greg. To be honest, I really hope this is the problem! Can anyone else comment?

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Red and white are audio, the yellow is a composite video connection which merges the various video signals, which then have to be separated by the TV. Like going on a picnic and putting the potato salad, baked beans and chicken all in the same Tupperware container. They'll never separate out perfectly.

Better would be to dump the yellow, composite video connection and use the S-Video connection.

Better still would be if your DVD player has component connections for video, which requires three cables that are usually red-blue-green.

Jan

John Royster

Screenwriter
Chad,

Definately that could cause your DVDs to look bad. Video cables are 75 ohms, audio cable (typically red for right and white for left) can be all over the place.

You can pick up some AR component cables for 20 bucks.

Chad Viro

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, guys.

My dvd player does have component jacks so I am going to go buy some today I hope and give this a try!! Thanks for working with me to resolve my issues! Hopefully I will have good news to report!

If anyone else cares to comment, I am all ears. I have learned a lot just from being a member for 1 day!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks