What's new

International Just purchased 4K restoration of JEAN DE FLORETTE/ MANON OF THE SPRING (1 Viewer)

Blu_rayfan66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hugh S.
DSC06576 (2).JPG
DSC06577.JPG
DSC06578.JPG
DSC06579.JPG
DSC06580.JPG
A few more pics of the packaging...and can confirm English subtitles can be turned on or off.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
It is a much better subtitled translation of both films. Still in awe of the restorations of these 2 great films.

Blu_rayfan66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hugh S.
It is a much better subtitled translation of both films. Still in awe of the restorations of these 2 great films.

Thanks, just had a quick look at both discs and they look lovely- good to know about the subs too.

There is only 1 extra in the whole package- a 44 min documentary in French, but no subtitles on that unfortunately.

Blu_rayfan66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hugh S.
At least we have the films in their glory to watch with English subtitles .

Yes I don't really have the time to explore extra features anyway but just wanted to post that info for anyone considering buying this. Of course that alone is absolutely no reason not to pick up this magnificent release- I'll expect to see this in many Top10 release lists at the end of the year!
Any other French bluray releases you can recommend?...

Last edited:

madfloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
I received my copy today. I'm very disappointed in the fact that the subtitles appear BELOW the image - which means if you have a scope (2.35:1) screen they are not visible.

I know I am in the minority but I wish the people that produced these editions considered this.

Reactions: PMF

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Does the Oppo feature to move them not work?
Like you I have a Scope screen, and this feature has, fingers crossed, always worked for me.

Reactions: PMF

madfloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
Does the Oppo feature to move them not work?
Like you I have a Scope screen, and this feature has, fingers crossed, always worked for me.

I don't use an Oppo, although I do have one around somewhere. I'll try it - thanks for the suggestion.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Yes I don't really have the time to explore extra features anyway but just wanted to post that info for anyone considering buying this. Of course that alone is absolutely no reason not to pick up this magnificent release- I'll expect to see this in many Top10 release lists at the end of the year!
Any other French bluray releases you can recommend?...
I can recommend the StudioCanal blu ray 4K restoration of Belle De Jour. It is region "B" locked, however, so you'll need a multi-region player.

Blu_rayfan66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hugh S.
I can recommend the StudioCanal blu ray 4K restoration of Belle De Jour. It is region "B" locked, however, so you'll need a multi-region player.

Thanks for the tip- I have both region A and B bluray players so that won't be a problem- thank you again!

Blu_rayfan66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hugh S.
I don't use an Oppo, although I do have one around somewhere. I'll try it - thanks for the suggestion.

Many Philips bluray playes have a 'subtitle shift' feature and they are usually quite inexpensive. But there are occasionally discs that do not allow the subs to be moved at all- quite rare tho. I only came across one such disc and it was from Germany ('The Box" w/Cameron Diaz).

Pictureman

Agent
Real Name
Frank
The Pathe DVDs were excellent, but these Blu-rays add a further level of crispness and color that's simply beautiful.

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
outstanding presentation on my OPPo . these are in my top ten all time favourites. Just wish they would get a limited cinema re-relase in the UK as they did in France

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Damn, I just purchased the Shout Factorys because I thought these would never come out with better transfers. Oh well, the Shout Factorys are a big step up from the DVDs that were riddled with artifacts.
I don't have to adjust my TV settings often but with the Shout Factory I had to reduce the color setting, the carnations in the opening scenes are too hot. There are a few other minor problems but other than that these are serviceable Blu-rays. Certainly better than the 3M pan-scan laserdiscs from the early 90s!

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Does anyone have a recommended/ preferred website for purchase of French discs?
I'd really like to get this one but Amazon, whether in France, the UK or USA, refuses to sell to Australians.
Thanks

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Damn, I just purchased the Shout Factorys because I thought these would never come out with better transfers. Oh well, the Shout Factorys are a big step up from the DVDs that were riddled with artifacts.
I don't have to adjust my TV settings often but with the Shout Factory I had to reduce the color setting, the carnations in the opening scenes are too hot. There are a few other minor problems but other than that these are serviceable Blu-rays. Certainly better than the 3M pan-scan laserdiscs from the early 90s!

The picture quality of Manon Of The Spring appears to be a lot better than Jean. Not sure why, reds are not boosted as much, the picture has better definition and none of the problems seen in Jean. Does anyone know the reason why? Are these NTSC or PAL conversions? Perhaps it's print quality, in which case the new 4K remasters would show similar differences?

These are absolutely wonderful movies, I've watched them since the early 90s. Next up, The Well Diggers Daughter if I can find a reasonably priced Blu-ray!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks