Just pulled the trigger... HDTV is on the way!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by John Morris, Oct 19, 2001.

1. John Morris

John Morris Guest

I just ordered a new Pioneer 643HD5 from OneCall. It will be delivered in 5 to 7 days. The waiting will be sheer hell!!!
    Now, all I need to do is order my bettercable silver serpent component cables and I am set!!! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

2. SteveBjr

SteveBjr Stunt Coordinator

That's an impressive delivery time...i waited a little over 2 weeks for my Toshiba 42h81 and everyday was pure hell. You won't be disappointed. Have fun watching for the delivery truck [​IMG]

3. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Steve: OneCall is no ordinary mail order company. Most items I've ordered from them arrive via 2nd day Fed Ex... an item this large takes a bit more time.
    I also just ordered a pair of Silver Serpent Component Cables from Brad at BetterCables. I will have them ready and waiting for my HDTV Receiver and my Progressive DVD connections when my Pioneer gets here!
    Dang... this wait is as bad, but hopefully shorter than my wait for my SVS Ultra Subwoofer! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

4. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

John-
    I'm about to order from onecall, as soon as my money transfers go through. I must admit, I'm slightly nervous about ordering an RPTV through the mail. Have you worked with them before? are you nervous too? thanks.

5. Will

Will Guest

If you want to get this RPTV locally, Best BUy sells it
    for $3999. Delivery from them costs VERY little.
    But you have to pay tax unfortunately.
    If you're interested, go to bestbuy.com and
    search for the Pioneer SD-643HD5

6. John Morris

John Morris Guest

I paid $3700, delivered, for my Pioneer SD-643HD5 from OneCall. And, it included 12 months no int, no pay. If you want this same price, or less, call OneCall, tell them that I, John Morris, told you I got mine for $3700 delivered, and you will get yours for that price too! If not, please let me know and I can raise some hell!!! BTW, I will also get a supposed 2% discount off of my next purchase by your rec... yeah right... [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

7. Will

Will Guest

Hey John!
    How do you like your Pioneer 643HD5?
    I'd imagine the shipping part of the total price
    depends on location...

8. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Will: Unfortunately, I couldn't take delivery yesterday, so I had to push the delivery date to next Tuesday. This is gonna be one LONNNNNNNG Weekend! [​IMG]
    Actually, I have no idea how much of the total price shipping represented. I negotiated on the basis of my best available Best Buy delivered price and when Patrick said, "the best I can do is $3700 delivered", I said SOLD!
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

9. Will

Will Guest

If it's Tuesday today, it must have arrived (right?) [​IMG]

10. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Well, it got here about 2 hours ago, and just took a break from unpacking and starting to hook it all up.
    I'll try to post my initial thoughts tomorrow sometime... [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

11. MickB

MickB Agent

I have had the SD582 for 10 months and love it. I have the silver serpent component cable and had the set ISF'd last month. HDTV and DVD's are awesome!
    ENJOY!!!

12. Will

Will Guest

John,
    Any news on the new HD5. Also, regarding shipping charges
    from Onecall, since it probably depends on where you live
    I'd be interested where that is. Will

13. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Will: My 643hd5 is up and running beautifully. DVD and OTA HDTV are absolutely stunning. I ended up running a new dedicated RG6 cable run for my analog cable feed and now, believe it or not, even regular cable looks pretty darn good. As for tweaking, all I've done so far is calibrate the TV with Avia. The resultant settings look great for DVD but I had to change them for HDTV and another totally different settings for plain ole cable. Luckily, the TV remembers the different settings for each input, so I only had to set each one once. The only pressing issue still to be done with this set is the daytime glare on the screen. When I get some time, I'm gonna be removing the glare screen. Of course, then I'll probably need to recalibrate all over again!
    All I can say is that this set looks better in my house than ANY other RPTV I looked at in a store...
    I am sooooooooo, happy with my purchase decision!
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

14. Will

Will Guest

15. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Will: I'm not sure if I should reshuffle or just place spacers in the screen sandwich. My first thought is to reshuffle so that I don't get any sagging, but I think I'm gonna read all the pros and cons first and ask a few ISF guys what they think.
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

16. Neil N

Neil N Stunt Coordinator

John,
    How do the stretch mode(s) for 4x3 and non-anamorphic letterbox viewing on the Pioneer compare to the Toshibas? Also, are you aware of any major differences between the 64" and 53" as far as internal components go?
    I've been leaning toward the Toshiba HX's, but am getting leary as I hear of more and more problems with them.
    Congrats on finally getting your tv!
    -Neil

17. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Neil: Well, I find that the stretch modes look very good on most regular cable TV. I usually use the natural wide mode, and as sceptical as I was in the past, it is true, after a while you just don't notice it. However, I now find my self always watching the OTA HD feeds whenever I can where most of the shows are either natively 1080i widescreen or are upconverted by the networks to 480p widescreen. I've been watching some stretched football today and the Pioneer has, at least to me, the best stretch modes of any of the sets I've seen, equivalent to the X10 Pioneer Elite Series. As for differences, the 64" uses the same physicial lenses and CRTs as the new X20 Elite series while the 53" uses the lens from the X10 series. It appears that both the 64 and 53 sets use the same software as the x10 series, not the x20 series which is supposed to be slightly improved.
    This set tweaks up very nicely, although I am hoping to schedule a visit by Michael TLV sometime here in November.
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

18. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

John,
    Do you (or anyone else) know of retail chains that carry or would likely carry the 643hd5 in their store? I'd love to see it. I may be moving up my eventual video upgrade (currently working on new audio equipment all around) cause I'm sure I'll get antsy only having half the puzzle put together. Also, I noticed in the past that you mentioned that sports is an important part of your viewing, so you think the 643 is one of the best with the stretch mode on standard 4:3 sporting material? Note that I'll probably be feeding the TV via standard non-dig cable, so of course quality with such sources would also be important, although I could fall back on my 35" TV in the other room [​IMG] .
    Also, it sounds as if the quality of the 643 is similar to the 710 (and maybe the newer 720 as well?). If so, would the 710 be an adequate substitute for auditioning if I can't find a 643 around? I just saw a 710 yesterday, and although the cabinet looks really nice, so does $2000+.
    Thanks for any info you can provide.
    Doug
    ------------------
    "Today is a good day to die." ...Old Lodge Skins

19. Will

Will Guest

You should be able to get an Elite 710 at a discount now,
    since it is no longer a current model. Best Buy carries
    2002 non-Elites, although the local Best Buys in my area
    don't have the 64 incher out on display, unfortunately.

20. Will

Will Guest