Just picked up the Onkyo TX-DX898.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Rogozhin, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Stunt Coordinator

My HK225 refurb just crapped out on me (being sent of for warranty work and will sell it when it comes back).

So I've ordered the Onkyo 898 from Macmall (they are authorized dealer so I will have the 2 year warranty) for $750 with shipping.

I'm having a hard time finding info about it (I've found the main things but not very good pictures). My main question is:

Is the firmware flashable????

I think it's not but I was just curious if there are any 898 owners on this board (just to chat).

I also have a question about the preamp outs and what I think I'll run for the mains.

My 218s are in my brothers house (I loaned them to him for a favor he did) but I still have my NAD 314 so I was thinking of using the 314 for the mains-what do you fellas think of this idea???

Thanks for reading.

ROGO

2. Rogozhin

No-one has any info or advice???

[​IMG]

rogo

3. Jamie Peters

Jamie Peters Agent

You can download the manual from Onkyo, here is a link. I don't know anything particular about this receiver but thought this would help. I think if you select the third one up from the bottom on this page, it will ask you if you want to save it or open it.

http://www.onkyousa.com/own_manuals....1&cat=Receiver

4. Rogozhin

Thank you Jamie [​IMG]

Rogo

5. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

The Onkyo TX-DS898 does not have flashable firmware.

You should be aware of a potential problem with some Dolby Digital sources.

The Onkyo TX-DS898 (and a number of other receivers from Onkyo and other manufactures) had an audio dropout problem with some Dolby Digital DVDs and some digital broadcasts over cable, satellite and Digital TV. This problem may have been corrected later in production, so it may not effect all receivers of a particular model number. You can test for the problem with one of the following DVDs:
    Pearl Harbor, Jurassic Park III and Atlantis.

I had my Onkyo TX-DS898 repaired under warranty for the Dolby Digital dropout problem. The repair is described as Q702 DSP Board; IC part number 22241458R3898. The repair was completed 15 days after I delivered the receiver.

Before the repair I experienced Dolby Digital audio dropouts with the Jurassic Park III DVD and the WLIW HDTV production Visions of Italy: Southern Style broadcast on Maryland Public Television channel 42. Both sources play without dropouts now.

Receivers and processors reported to be affected:

Denon AVR-1602, AVR-1802

Integra DTR-5.2, DTR-6.2, DTR-7.2 and DTR-8.2
    http://integrahometheater.com/faqs_d...etail=1&id=199

Intetra Research RDC-7

Kenwood VR-510, KRFX-9050D
    http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/pr...?productId=752

Lexicon MC-12
    http://www.smr-group.co.uk/articles/v110qa2.html
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...t=pearl+harbor

Onkyo TX-DS595, TX-DS696,TX-DS797, TX-DS898, TX-DS989, and TX-L5
    http://www.onkyousa.com/faqs_detail.cfm?detail=1&id=233

Outlaw Audio 1050
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...t=pearl+harbor
    Reported fix is to set Center Surround speaker to on ("CS ON").

TAG McLaren(?)

Marantz 8200(?)

Sherwood RD8108(?)
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...23#post1519123

6. Rogozhin

Stephen

Thank you for the heads up-I don't own those DVDs nor do I have HD tv.

But I think I 'll rent J3 so I know if it is the new model or the old one.

How do you like this particular receiver?

Rogo

7. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

I've been happy with the Onkyo TX-DS898. Onkyo deserves credit for acknowledging the Dolby Digital dropout problem and repairing it. I upgraded to the Onkyo because my previous receiver, a Yamaha HTR-5250, has a bass management problem. I sent the HTR-5250 to Yamaha for repair, but they claimed that the receiver was working properly and refused to repair it.

8. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

I've been pretty happy with mine, besides some S-video inputs that went bad, but I completely believe that was video card related, since it took #'s 2,3, and 4 out within a days time each, the one for my cable box never went out. I bought mine refurbed and had a one year warranty so that covered that. Performance has been good. Only thing I woulda liked was an adjustable cross-over. I've recently added a 2x150wpc Acurus amp to power my mains separately. Not really a sound quality difference, but at higher volumes the sound doesn't distort and thin out as much.

9. Mike Up

Mike Up Second Unit

Seems to be a growing trend as they've definitely lost their good reliability reputation. I have a RX-V2095, had a RX-V995, and RX-V793 and loved them. I then bought a RX-V596 for a friend's setup and it's bass management was screwed up also. Sub output didn't work in Prologic. They also said it was working correctly.[​IMG] Replaced it and new unit was fine. Recently bought the RX-V2300 and again, bass management problems. This time Bass Management worked in opposite logic, small speaker option turned sub output off while large speaker option turned sub output on.[​IMG] I finally gave up on Yamaha, and glad I did, after finding my Denon AVR-3803 with much higher performance than the RX-V2300 or my RX-V2095.

Have a good one.

10. Rogozhin

mike-I think wrong thread???

So do you guys think the NAD 314 would be better than the 898's amps to drive the mains? (Sound Dynamics 300tis)

??

rogo

11. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Can't vouch for the Onk-898 & your specific Nad, but it should at a min help to take some pressure from the Onks amp section freeing up some headroom.

As far as SQ issue, this will be up to your ears in your room.

I'm sure you already know, any time an external amp of comp quality and power/or better is added, it should help. Where you put it to use, Mains, Rears, Centers, etc, will be a call the user must make.
    I wish I could offer up some actual 898 and Nad combo user info, but can't and won't pretend to.

Good luck with the 898, hope you get the upgrade unit. Sounds like a rough time so far and about time you get a fair shake. [​IMG]

Cheers
    Geoff

12. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

At 35wpc, not a chance. Even with 7 speakers driven I think the Onkyo could best that. And even though many times your speakers aren't using much past the 35w, I'd feel better knowing a little more headroom was available with the 110w from the Onkyo. SQ wise, who knows. Since you have it, test it out and see what you think. Personally, I'd sell it off or use it for another room or something.

13. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Not aware of the Nads power, well goodness at 35 achannel, aha the answer is a no brainer.

As I stated before (comp power and quaility or better)....This obviously is not the case in the power department.!

Totally Agree with Wayne-O!

Regards
    Geoff