What's new

Just picked up the new "Mudcrutch" CD (Tom Petty's pre-Heartbreakers band) (1 Viewer)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Thinking that I dig most of Petty's stuff, I decided to pick this up. It came out last week. If I had to summarize their sound, I would say that it is a kind of rambling, rootsy rock, much more so than Petty's stuff with the Heartbreakers. The fact that it was recorded in like 2 weeks time lends itself to that laid back vibe. I love that it's also not overly polished unlike most of today's fare.

Here's some background on the band and the review from Allmusic:

Formed in Gainesville, FL, in 1970, Mudcrutch were essentially a precursor to Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, with a then 17-year-old Tom Petty on bass, Mike Campbell and Tom Leadon (the brother of ex-Eagle Bernie Leadon) on guitars, Benmont Tench on keyboards, and Randall Marsh on drums. Popular on the Florida bar circuit, Mudcrutch relocated to L.A. in 1974 and was offered a recording contract from Leon Russell and Denny Cordell's Shelter Records, but the band splintered before any significant recording was completed, although Petty remained under contract to Shelter as a solo artist. In time, the band drifted back together, this time with Petty and Campbell on guitars, Tench on keyboards, and a rhythm section of Ron Blair on bass and Stan Lynch on drums. Calling themselves Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, they assumed Petty's solo contract with Shelter Records and released the self-titled Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers LP on the label in 1976. The rest, as they say, is history. In the summer of 2007, Petty, Campbell, Tench, Leadon, and Marsh reunited as Mudcrutch and recorded an album, the self-titled Mudcrutch, which was released a year later in 2008 on Reprise Records. The band followed the album with a limited tour.

allmusic ((( Mudcrutch > Review )))

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Just read this on Music Direct's website...what a crock of sh*t! :angry:

"This Vinyl Edition comes complete with a Special CD - Only Available in This Package! The vinyl version comes with a very special, totally uncompressed CD version of the album unavailable anywhere else! The difference between the regular CD and the CD packaged with the LP is extreme: the drums hit harder and the vocals jump! Without the standard amount of compression used in today’s recordings, you can take the original master tape with you or burn it onto you iPod! This is Warner Brothers' tribute to audiophiles everywhere!"

Thanks a lot, Warner Bros...don't you think there's some out there that expect this kind of quality anyway when we're already paying heard earned money for disc in this day and age when they can easily be downloaded for FREE online somewhere??? I don't have a turntable and would love to hear this CD uncompressed, but no, you won't give that to me?! Ridiculous!

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, why aren't all CDs like that? It does seem like a slap in the face.

As for this album, when most of the guys are already in the Heartbreakers, it seems more like a labeling thing than anything else.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

IMO, it is.

Well, I think 3/5 are, but if you listen to it, these tunes are a lot more rootsy/folky than anything the Heartbreakers have put out.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I enjoyed the first album and I just picked up the new mudcrutch 2 which is also a good one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yacubjkc
Recent bookmarks