Just picked up an NAD 773... a question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Adnan, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Adnan

Adnan Auditioning

I have my DVD connected to the reciever via an optical link only. I tried playing a DTS disc (X2), but for some reason I could not select a DTS playback. The reciever would only give me the choice of "Dolby Digital" or "Downmix (Stereo)". I have my DVD player and the disc set up properly. Can anyone with experiece with NAD's give me a hand?

What exactly is the difference between DTS and Dolby Digital anyway?

Thanks in advance!

2. Steven_N

Steven_N Extra

I have a NAD 762 and have no problem with DTS playback. I don't know what DVD player you're using but you should check that it's set for DTS playback. Most DVD players require you to do that. Go into your DVD menu set-up and you should be able to find it. DTS has better separation and clarity than Dolby Digital although it can depend on the quality of the tracks on a particular DVD. I have The Ultimate DVD Platinum and it has several comparison tests you can try to see the difference. I found quite a big one.

3. Adnan

Adnan Auditioning

Steven,
    Thanks. I have made sure the DVD player (the new Samsung w/DVI connection) is set up for DTS. I'm not sure why the NAD will only pick up "Dolby Digital". I wonder if there's a setting or something that I've missed.

Thanks.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You have to set your player to bitstream not PCM, in you digital audio setup, or you will only get stereo.

The difference between DTS and DD varies from material to material, and sound engineer to sound engineer, so nobody can really say one is equivocally better than the other. Having said that, I always check for a DTS track and start with that.

5. Steven_N

Steven_N Extra

Adnan...........Have you tried contacting NAD directly to discuss your problem. The suggestion by John is a good one, too. If that fails I would call NAD or Samsung directly for advice. They usually have the solution. I haven't dealt with Samsung but I can tell you that the Tech people at NAD were very helpful. Good Luck!

6. Adnan

Adnan Auditioning

Hi Steven,
    How do you get ahold of NAD tech? I tried contacting their support # on the website, and they insisted I talk to my dealer (who is only open for 10.5 hours a week). They said they didn't offer phone tech support.

The DVD player is set to bitstream.

Thanks,

Adnan

adnan1976 at hotmail.com

7. JohnnyCasaba

JohnnyCasaba Agent

Did you choose the DTS soundtrack in the X-2 setup menu?
    X-2 has both DD and DTS tracks. Sounds like you are trying to change the surround format thru the receiver.

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Does toggling the audio selection during playback work? I have this problem with my player and one particular disc (Diana Krall: Live in Paris) that has a Dolby stereo menu system, so it auto detects this and switches back to Dolby after selecting DTS from the disc's setup menu. It's the player that causes this in my setup, becuase my previous player did not have this problem. The odd thing is, it only happens on that disc.

9. Adnan

Adnan Auditioning

You guys were right!

I thought for sure DTS was set on the actual DVD, as it looked like it was set as default, but I had to manually do it. You'll have to excuse me, I'm used to a 2-channel tube amp running my maggies... this is a whole new thing :).
    Anyway, all's well.

Thanks!

10. JasenJ

JasenJ Agent

My player's remote (Panasonic A110) has an AUDIO button that switches between the available audio tracks. I can use this to swap between DD, DTS, and any other tracks that are on a disc while it is playing . My receiver (HK AVR230) detects the switch and resyncs to the new stream. I expect your setup should work the same.

The DVD player is what dictates the digital audio stream. The receiver figures out what the player is sending. So if the receiver doesn't say DTS, the player isn't sending DTS.

- Jasen.

11. Dave-Z

Dave-Z Agent

Just curious: After having the 773 for about a month now, would you care to describe your experience with it?

Pro's, con's, anything else relevant...

Very interested as I'm in the market to grab a new receiver (or possibly a pre/pro, though I'm not sure I can reach that price range adequately yet) to drive my PSB Stratus line, and NAD is at the top of my list at this point. There just isn't much hands on experience as of yet.

Thanks much!