JUST picked up a Kenwood HTB-504...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Harnish, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

I realize I've posted before regarding a better audio system, but I've discovered a lot of other things I'd like to do with $2,000.00 (upgrading my computer, furthering my education, etc.). So, I picked up a Kenwood HTB-504 tonight and so far I love it...it's appearance is gorgeous and matches my WEGA KV-32FV27 perfectly. However, I'm having a problem.

I've connected all the speakers and sub correctly. Then I finally connected my DVD player's audio outputs to the receiver's DVD/CD audio input. BUT...no sound is coming out! Well...sound is being played but it's just static (but at least it shows that my system is working!) I changed the settings in my DVD player's setup menu but that didn't work. Then I discovered instructions in the manual that say I need to connect my DVD player to the 6-channel audio input on the receiver. Sounds fine, then, right?

Wrong. It turns out that my Pioneer DV-545 only has left and right audio out; there are no other audio outputs. So does this mean I have to upgrade my DVD player? If so, which models would you folks recommend that have the 6 channel outputs required by the receiver?

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

6-Channel Analog Input: DVD Audio-Compatible

Digital Analog Input: 4 (2 Coaxial, 2 optical)

Use the digital 1-wire hookup.

The 6 channel you mention is for an outboard 6 channel processor.

Optical or coak, no diff, but you can get away with a 'yellow' RCA cable on the cheap and use the coax connection (Orange?)

Nice system...

Good Luck-

3. Jeffrey R

Jeffrey R Stunt Coordinator

You should definitely be able to get sound from your DVD player through the Kenwood receiver, so try these options, depending on what outputs your DVD player has. If your DVD player only has 2-channel analog outputs, connect analog audio cables to any of the analog audio inputs on the receiver (except Phono I think), and set the receiver input to "Analog". With this set-up, make sure your DVD player is set to output 2-channel analog. If your DVD player has coax or optical digitial outputs, connect either a coax or optical digital cable to one of the digital inputs on the receiver, set the receiver input to "D-Auto", and make sure the DVD player is set to output Bitstream, or digital audio, however it refers to it. Then, of course, make sure you select the appropriate audio track on the DVD player for a particular DVD. That should do it.

4. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

I agree with Colin. According to this page, the DV-545 does have digital audio output, so connect it to the appropriate digital audio input on the receiver.
    I can't remember if the "DVD/6 ch" selection automatically detects digital input. Check the manual to be sure you don't need to tell it you're using digital input.
    Hope this helps.

5. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

It's funny - I copy/pasted that from the e*tronics site, and it says 'digital analog inputs'.

Should be Digital only...

6. John_E

John_E Stunt Coordinator

I have a VR-509. If you are using an optical audio connection, use the CD/DVD input. If you are using a coax audio connection, use the DVD-6Ch input. That should solve your problem. The input name DVD-6CH is very misleading.

7. Brian Harnish

Argh...sorry guys...I have the 525...not the 545. Man, I *WAS* tired when I made that post.

8. Brian Harnish

Got it working!!! YESS!!! It's awesome! [​IMG]