Just passed up a new Servo-15 for $999

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Clinton McClure, May 14, 2005.

1. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    This is how bad I want a SVS! My local Audio Express was having their semi-annual invitation only sale today and they had Servo-15s marked down to $1k. I could have easily financed one but I'm so hell-bent on getting a SVS this summer. [​IMG]

2. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

*smack*

3. Clinton McClure

Clint
    Ow! [​IMG] It took some strong willpower to pass up the sale but it would've taken a Sawsall to make it fit in the corner of my HT. [​IMG]

4. Ryan Tsang

Ryan Tsang Second Unit

v1 or v2?

5. Clinton McClure

Clint
    v2 I would guess. What's the difference between them?

6. Ryan Tsang

Ryan Tsang Second Unit

v2? can't be! If it is then......SMACK! Those retail for $2200!

obvious differences:
    new 15" driver
    1200watt amp instead of 400
    XLR
    built-in full featured crossover, the original need the outboard X-30 x-over.

seriously, if the deal is still available for a v2 go (no, RUN) back and buy it. SVS is good but not that good. You could get 2 for less than a PB12-Ultra/2.

7. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

If you want the SVS that bad, get it. It's the only way you will be happy.
    However, I hope your desire is based on something substantial.

8. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

You could always buy the Servo-15 and turn it on ebay or other for a few extra $'s.
    ebay just had a $0.10 listing sale last week on fixed sales. You would have only been out the $0.10 if it did not sell, and you can always have the sale with the offers option.

9. Clinton McClure

Clint
    Looks like it was the v1. I was considering a Servo 15 last year but after thinking abou tit for a while, it would be serious overkill for my HT room. Besides the footprint is quite a bit bigger than my current sub (Paradigm PDR-10) and it simply would not fit.

10. Ron T

Ron T Stunt Coordinator

For $999 go get it. Smacks most subs clearly in the woofer.

11. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

which SVS has a footprint as big/small as a PDR-10?

12. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

The Servo-15 is a very good sub. SMACK!

13. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Which SVS are you looking at?

Personally, I would have gotten the Paradigm at that price.

14. Clinton McClure

Clint
    The SVS I'm considering is the PB10-ISD. My HT room isn't that big (roughly 9x13 with 7' ceiling) and I think the Servo-15 would be a bit much. Besides, the corner area in which my sub sits (between the wall and a/v rack) is only about 16" wide and the PB10 is about the same dimensions. The Servo would take about 18", 2" of which I don't have. Although I could afford it, I'm a bit hesitant to drop $1k on a sub this time of year, especially 3 weeks after my wife bought a new car. (Ouch!) $500 would be a bit easier on the pocketbook.

My wife is working hard to try to get me to abandon my HT room and move all my equipment out into the living room (23x13 with a 10' vaulted ceiling). My airspace would go from 800³ ft. to almost 3000³ ft. If I decided to go that route this summer then I would wait on the SVS and get a v2 Servo at their sale this fall. My guess on price would be around $1800 at sale time.

15. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Ahh, but see you *do* have additional considerations that would seem to remove the Paradigm anyway, at least for the HT room.

If it was straight up, the SVS vs the Paradigm, I'd say go with the Paradigm in a second. But for the $$ and space in the HT room, the SVS is the better choice.

Now if you do get to the bigger room, I would heartily recommend the PB12-Plus/2. Or if you can stretch it, the PB12-Ultra/2. [​IMG] For the money, I personally would take either of those subs over the Servo 15 v2. (And, in fact, I did. I got the PB12-Ultra/2 last fall, and have never been happier. And ... I did have a Velodyne HGS-10 and HGS-12 in the past, and I am a big fan of servo technology. I looked at Velodyne and Paradigm at that time, but for the money, the 2x12" SVS subs will simply push more air.) FYI, the Servo 15 is up to v3 now.

16. Ron T

Ron T Stunt Coordinator

The Servo 15, which I would take over any SVS, is up to V2 not 3.

17. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Yup, looks like the Servo 15 designation is one rev behind the speakers.

18. Clinton McClure

Clint
    After working on me for the better part of a year, my wife finally got me to move the HT gear from the HT room (small bedroom - nothing fancy) to the living room when we rearranged a few days ago. The open area of the living room actually creates a much better soundstage than the crackerbox I was using for a HT.

Anyway, I had an unexpected windfall and saw a price today which I couldn't pass by on a Servo 15 v1 with X-20 unit. The time and price were just right so I shifted from an SVS jones back to Paradigm.

I finished recalibrating my HT and EQing the servo about an hour ago. Now I know what people mean when they talk about true LFE. It's not boomy or distorted. It's kinda subtle then kicks you square in the ass with a 92dB shot at 18Hz.

One question...What's the best way to set the volumes of both the Servo 15 and the X-20?

Right now I have the volume maxed on the Servo itself and am using the volume control on the X-20 as the actual volume adjustment. Is this correct?

19. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Whats the new one they have out.. just saw it in a HT type magazine... It has a remote control for gain adjustments and also seperate buttons for music/movies? Maybe it was a velo not para... oh well still happy with my SVS PB2+ and for the money I have been pleased for over two years now!