Just out of curiosity

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Steve_-_K, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Steve_-_K

Steve_-_K Auditioning

I am still learning and haven't actually purchased the first piece of equipment yet. We are looking to buy within the next three months and right the sanyo z2 looks like a good enty level projector for us. I got to wondering though. When I go to the movies, what do they use? Not that I could afford what a commercial theater uses, I just wondered what technology do they use and why?
    Steve K

2. John S

John S Producer

They use film cameras as far as I know....

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

There's a few that now use digital projectors for some movies but by and large its still a film based projector system

4. Thomas Willard

Thomas Willard Stunt Coordinator

Yes, only a few theaters have converted to digital technology. Most still use 35mm optical projectors to show the film. Commercial digital projectors are extremely expensive even compared to 35mm opticals. With many theater chains barely making a profit, with a good number that are not (too many screens from over building), it will be some time before 35mm film based projectors go away.

There are a small but dedicated group that actually collect 35mm prints and have installed 35mm projectors in their home theaters. If you look you might find some web sites devoted to this.