just ordered wharfedale wh-2 bipoles for $62!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by JesseBro, Feb 24, 2004.

1. JesseBro

JesseBro Stunt Coordinator

ecost.com has the wharfedale wh-2 bipole surrounds on sale for $62 with free shipping!!!

my poor boy college student system is coming together!

so far ive managed to get:

-Yamaha RX-V440 receiver (good entry level receiver if anyone is looking)
    -Dayton 10" powered sub from parts express
    -Wharfedale WH-2 bipoles
    -Vidsonix MG-S84 mini towers for mains (will be upgrading)
    -JBL computer speakers wired up for center (very pathetic, still deciding on center)
    -Sharp 32" C231
    -Hitachi DV-P302

2. Ken.L

Ken.L Stunt Coordinator

I got my WH-2's last month for $60, then the price jumped to $99 , now they're back down again, that's the ecost roller coaster cash register for ya!
    Those bipoles work great placed in the corner of the room and what a great price.

3. JesseBro

im definately excited..... i also ordered some knu konceptz 10 gauge 462 strand clear blue speaker wire that was on sale for $.60/foot and ...and picked up U-571 to really give the whole system a test..... im waiting til the surrounds arrive before i play the movie

4. JesseBro

i just received the speakers and hooked them up.... overall im very pleased with the sound and they do fill the rear surround quite well. On the other hand im a tad bit disappointed with the construction overall.... the drivers and tweeters are not mounted squarely as the screws are cock-eyed.... now i know this doesnt effect sound, but its the principle of it.... the vidsonix speakers i have are constructed beautifully and are not nearly as well known as wharfedale. there is also glue on the outside of the drivers.... inside, they look well dampened and the wiring is indeed the monster xp wiring that they advertise, but without the covers a quick glance can notice the poor construction... my girlfriend agreed completely with me and said my "cheap" vidsonix speakers are much better looking.

im considering writing wharfedale with my disappointments in the construction.... but i guess thats what happens when you contract out your designs to china....

on a side note, i have been auditioning and comparing major brands as i plan to upgrade my vidsonix mini towers, but they are an UNBELIEVABLE value for the price i paid for them.... give vidsonix a try, they have auctions on ebay all the time... or check out their website www.vidsonix.com

5. Ken.L

Ken.L Stunt Coordinator

JesseBro,
    Just leave the grills on and forget about it. Close your eyes and just enjoy the nice sounds coming out of them.
    I told my friend RR about the price drop and he ordered a pair yesterday. Got him to buy a center channel couple of weeks ago after he heard my BIC DV-52si. Now if I can just convince him to get a sub.
    Jesse, have you checked out the BIC DV-62's? For $120 or less, they put out some very impressive sounds. My V-62's should do me for long while. Check out their top ranking on audioreview.com

6. JesseBro

yeah dont get me wrong about the sounds..... they are a good sounding speaker, but they do lack the depth that my vidsonix and others put out... perhaps its the volume of the cabinet or the lack of a port... like i said, overall im satisfied, but i think a reputable speaker company should have better construction and sense of quality....

im running these vidsonix as my main speaker:
    http://www.vidsonix.com/vidsonixnew/info_mgs84.htm

7. larry mac

larry mac Stunt Coordinator

Whadaya want for $31 each + free shipping (LOL)?

Actually, I thought mine were constructed pretty well. I didn't notice any of the defects you mentioned. They are made with heavy wood, mine are nice looking with a Cherry or Rose finish. You get two woofers and two tweeters in each speaker, mounted upside down in their cabinets for high rear applications. I think they work well for surround duty only (the manual even states this as was posted previously) in a small room such as a bedroom.

That being said, I'm sure they would be even better with a higher quality woofer and possibly a ported design. Of course then they would be more expensive.

8. Ken.L

Ken.L Stunt Coordinator

Jesse,
    Do you have them in the corner of the room? That's the position bipoles really shine.

9. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat? $70 for a pair of tower speakers? now i was a little unsure of what to expect quality wise from my fluance sv10's, but a pair of tower speakers for $70? how good are the vidsonix really?

10. JesseBro

regardless of what i paid, the quality should be there from a well established company

the vidsonix speakers are NOT a tower, they are a mini tower.... look at the dimensions, i think they are only like 22 inches high, they do sound very warm, but the highs need to be tuned down a little

11. JesseBro

i emailed wharfedale and im waiting to hear back.....

does anyone out there agree with me? or am i being foolish?

12. larry mac

larry mac Stunt Coordinator

I don't think you are being foolish. If they sent you a shoddy product, maybe a replacement is in order. As I posted before, mine were OK as far as construction goes. You might consider contacting ecost and asking for another pair. I bought mine from Amazon.com for $99 and free shipping and am happy with the product and price. They were the only Company that had the Cherrywood units at the time.

As far as the sound, well I wouldn't try to compare them to regular speakers because they won't measure up. They are probably OK for their intended use, surround only. And even then only in a smallish room. IMHO of course, others may disagree.

13. JesseBro

thanks,

im still waiting to hear back from them.... ive just rearranged my living room and now have them on the sides of my sofa facing the sofa..... sound is just beautiful in that position