What's new

Just ordered The Doors Collection - opinions (1 Viewer)

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Just wondering if I've chosen wisely or should cancel my order now. It looks really cool.
I'd like the movie too but it's non-anamorphic, despite what some reviews say. :angry:

SteveRS

Stunt Coordinator
If you are a Doors fan it should make you happy. A lot of nice stuff.
I am a bit disappointed with the audio.
It is DD 2.0 192kbps Dolby Pro Logic encoded. Lacking the dynamics that a PCM track would have provided.

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Doors fan? Have you seen the Bright Midnight collection then? As Larry Wild Man Fischer would say, http://www.thedoors.com/gamma/bmr/index.html
hollylive_cd_lg.jpg
detroit_cd_lg.jpg

The above link is for Bright Midnight, the outfit responsible for the Doors cds. Somehow, they're affiliated with Rhino Handmade, but the actual Rhino Handmade site is here.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Ben,

Thanks for that link. I didn't know about these releases and I think I am going to pick up that Detroit show pretty soon. These CDs look great!

-Dean-

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
It is DD 2.0 192kbps Dolby Pro Logic encoded
No wonder you're disappointed, this disc is NOT Pro-Logic encoded, it's only in STEREO. By decoding it you're sucking everything into the center channel. Shut off the Dolby & enjoy the excellent stereo separation on this disc (however, the Laserdisc DID have much stronger sound than the DVD does).

SteveRS

Stunt Coordinator
Larry,
I have the Sony TA-E9000ES pre/pro set to auto format decode mode.
The display shows Dolby Digital 2.0 192kbps Dolby Pro Logic.
I have listened in stereo also.
I would prefer 1536 kbps PCM over 192 kbps Dolby Digital any day.

SkiingNinja

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Ries
I have the box set as well and I do like it a lot. I am also a bit disapointed in the audio...I was hoping for more. I also don't exactly what this is, but on a few songs of the eponymous album, there is some sort of crackling noise in the high end...you guys probably know what im talking about...it did this on the standard CD release too...what is that noise?

-but don't let that keep you from getting it. I was playing that disc today and I love the music...

Sean

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
The display shows Dolby Digital 2.0 192kbps Dolby Pro Logic.
There is no such thing as an automatic flag for Dolby Pro Logic (which there IS for Dolby Digital, DTS or HDCD). Therefore, any receiver set to auto decode would decode ANY 2 CH source into Pro Logic, regardless if it was recorded in mono, stereo, or Pro Logic---it just doesn't know what's being fed into it. If you look at the pacaging on the disc it only says "Stereo" with NO Dolby Pro Logic logo--that's the clue that it's stereo only---also, these videos are so old, that Pro Logic wasn't regularly used at the time, we were happy just to get anything in stereo!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks