What's new

just ordered tempest parts one last question (1 Viewer)

zane

Stunt Coordinator
well i hope this is my last question, i just ordered my tempest and ava250 from ampmanaudio and i have all assembly parts except for the wood and i'm just wondering what options I have when putting together the enclosure using butt joints, the person i'm building this with has a table saw but no clamps so am i stuck with using wood glue and screws or is there another option? if I do have to use screws how far apart should they be to clamp effectively

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
in the past, i always used screws and it is a pain in the ass. I use glue/clamp now and it is way easier..

Craig

Aaron_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Clamps are a lot easier than just screws. But with only a few clamps, it will take you a long time to get it all assembled. I highly recommend a pocket hole jig (I have the Kreg but there are others) with 2 long (>24") bar clamps. That way you drill the pocket holes, glue the edge, use the clamps to hold the joint temporarily, tighten the pocket hole screws, and you can use your clamps for the next joint. It's pretty much foolproof if your panel cuts are accurate.

Aaron_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Oh yeah; check Harbor Freight for clamps. Their tools are generally of inferior quality but for something like clamps it doesn't matter too much and you can save a bunch of money.

zane

Stunt Coordinator
is there a semi-cheap pocket hole jig thats worth a crap, if so could you possibly post a link

Aaron_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I saw one at the local woodcraft store for around $30, it looked like it would do the job. Can't remember the brand name. You can also get the Kreg rocket pack, which I think is about $70 for all the stuff you need.

zane

Stunt Coordinator
is there anyway that using 1 3/4 inch finishing nails to hold the wood while drying would do the job

zane

Stunt Coordinator
aren't finishing nails a bit too small to predrill the holes? if i do use finishing nails how many inches should i put between nails to hold the wood properly during the drying process, if i do use the 1/8" dowels how big do you drill the holes for the dowels to fit snugly into the hole, would you use a size smaller than the dowel

zane

Stunt Coordinator
come on guys give me a bit more feedback I wanna make sure the finishing nails will be a suficient way of holding the box during the drying time

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
i just got the sides, top, and bottom of my sub done, today. Freaking rock solid.

What i did is used butt joints, with buscuits an gule blocks, that i sunk some drywall screws into. I will post some picks tomarrow, and it should be done and ready for a test run. All i need to do is cut out the driver holes, port holes and the amp holes and i will worry about finishing it some other time.

zane

Stunt Coordinator
sorry i'm not a woodworker whats buscuits an gule blocks, also can someone also answer my question about the finishing nails, i'm thinking of using both finishing nail and 1/8" dowels

Randy Noel

Stunt Coordinator
I personally wouldn't think finishing nails would hold securely enough to give you good, tight joints. Biscuits are thin, football shaped pieces of wood used to secure the pieces of wood together, but you would have to buy a special tool to cut the slots. I would think you'd be best served by investing in a few bar clamps. Jusy my $.02

zane

Stunt Coordinator
this is probably the only wood project I'm gonna do anytime soon so I don't wanna buy $50 in clamps plus I'm in college and don't have all the money in the world, how bout this idea, use 5 dowels per 21" side and in between the dowels nail in finishing nails, as an alternate plan I could just use 7 or so screws per side

StuartL

Auditioning
Finishing nails will work fine... Use one of the finishing nails as a drill bit. Trim Nails Work great.

Stu

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
what do you mean by "use one of the finishing nails as a drill bit"?
You can place one of the finishing nails in the chuck of the drill. This allows you to use one of the finishing nails as a drill bit. The nail is appropriately sized for the hole - provided, you don't drill too deeply. Also, this saves a few $$ because you don't have to head to the store to purchase an additional drill bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks