What's new

just ordered SVS 25-31PCi (1 Viewer)

Ben Jordan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben
After many many hours (30+... whew!) of research online, I've decided on this sub to go with my Axiom M50 mains, and Onkyo 787 receiver.

If anyone has any ideas on setting this SVS up with my config, I'd be glad to hear what you have to say. It'll be in my apartment living room of about 14x12 (has a funky shape, but almost a rectangle), in a corner, behind the M50's. Could relocate it to beside the couch, or beside the love seat.

Can't wait to get it - you guys have me really excited about this!

(btw - its replacing a JVC 10" 100W that came in one of those HTIB setups.)

Dylan Savage

Stunt Coordinator
If you're putting an SVS in an apartment I hope you either have deaf neighbors or a good lawyer. :)

Ben Jordan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben
Got my 25(22)-31PCi yesterday. Ordered on Sunday night, it arrived Wednesday. Incredible for only $20 shipping!

Jason Co

Second Unit
Ben,
I have the same mains as you and I am considering the 25-31 PCI. Did it cost you any extra for the 22? How do you like it? Pretty sure that's my best bet, just looking for some reassurance.

Jason

MatthewK

Stunt Coordinator

Funny I ordered the 25-31PC+ and the invoice stated: "Shipping: Ground: $45.73".

Wonder why the difference in shipping? Does UPS vary by delivery location (SF Bay Area) OR is it that the PCi amp is a LOT lighter than the PC+?

Little confused.... but can't wait for the 25-31PC+.

Matthew

Ben Jordan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben
Jason,
The 22Hz port is free, if you e-mail them as you order. (very nice of them) Ron from SVS replied to my email almost instantly, even though it was like 1 am or something, Sunday night! :)
I haven't had a complete chance to thoroughly test out the system with the new sub, but just running through the Iron Giant scenes, and with some CD audio music, I and my fiance are very impressed. It was neat when I first started it up, and my fiance comes into the room and says "wow that sounds really nice!" ! And she seems to like how it looks too. (bonus!)
It blends in very well with the M50's. My receiver's crossover of 80Hz is enabled and the SVS's crossover is disabled. The gain on the SVS is at about 1 o'clock or so. Playing with phase, I can hear the difference, but the output seems to be about the same.
For $29, you could get the original 25Hz port and change them out incase you wanted a little more dB, and a little less low Hz. I'm thinking about getting one since it's pretty cheap.
I'm looking *forward* to having some of my friends come over and critique my system. I really recommend it with the Axioms!

Ben Jordan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben
Matthew,

I'm not sure about that... the PCi was 66 lbs, and was shipped to upstate South Carolina.

Chris James

Stunt Coordinator
Matthew, the PC+ uses a different subwoofer than the PCi. I am sure the increased weight of the driver had something to do with the rise in shipping cost. Also, if they use UPS WorldShip (like I do), then different areas (UPS Zones) do cost more than others.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
I imagine the increased weight of the driver, heavier amp, possibly increased box size pluse the destination all factored into the higher shipping costs.

Sean_B

Stunt Coordinator
I was up in the air about which model to get. I went for the 20-39 PCI model because I wanted more low bass. What was the reason you guys chose the 25-31 PCI? Size, WAF, ???
I also felt for just $50 more it was worth it. Can't wait, I've been reading the hype ever since SVS became a company and put it off until now. The order is in and now its just a matter of the UPS guy coming to my door.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I picked the 25-31 mainly because of the WAF. Just no way could I put a large WaterHeater looking sub into the Family Room.
The 25-31 is really large as it is.
It also does the job well enough. Combined with a Velo CT-120, the two subs put out plenty of low bass.
Anymore and wife and kids would probably move! :)

MatthewK

Stunt Coordinator
Matthew, the PC+ uses a different subwoofer than the PCi. I am sure the increased weight of the driver had something to do with the rise in shipping cost. Also, if they use UPS WorldShip (like I do), then different areas (UPS Zones) do cost more than others.
I suspected it probably was a combination of my location and the increased weight from the subwoofer and built in amp. Since the model is the same I doubt the package size is much different though!

I guess I just found it odd how much of a difference there was in shipping but I know those guys at SVS do the best they can!

Matthew

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Matt,

Yes indeed UPS varies their rates based on shipping location. San Francisco, CA is a good bit further away from Ohio than South Carolina. The PC-Plus subs are heavier as well (bigger amp, bigger driver, beefier end caps).

FWIW we only charge the UPS rates. There is no added "shipping and handling" fees rolled in there. Whatever the UPS rate calculator comes out with that's what we charge. Sometimes the rates are shockingly good (or not), but generally UPS costs have been a big attraction. Very reasonable most of the time.

Ron

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Love the 'flash' SVS annimation / sound clip Ron!!!!!!!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
:laugh: :laugh:
:p)
:emoji_thumbsup:
... San Francisco, CA is a good bit further away from Ohio than South Carolina. ... Very reasonable most of the time.
Considering the shipping weight and size, I thought your UPS Shipping cost was extremely reasonable!! Fortunately, my UPS guy was up to the task to carefully place the box in front of my porch! My son helped me bring in the package - it's definitely the 2nd heaviest opject I've ordered on-line!! The 1st was my Toshiba 50H81 (Aug. 2001).
Phil

Ben Jordan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben
Dylan,

My fiance and I went upstairs last night and gave our phone number to our neighbors above us, informed them of our new subwoofer (in which they replied "wow, sweet!"), and invited them to watch a movie sometime.

In return, they invited us up to watch a movie with them sometime, and gave us their phone number in case they were ever too loud (I've NEVER heard them before - our apartments have awesome insulation apparently).

We then proceeded to watch The Iron Giant at a shakingly and delighting volume, and I am totally in love with this new sub!!!

Manny_S

Stunt Coordinator
Ben, maybe you should ask your neighbor upstairs to listen while you play something like Jurassic Park III at reference levels. It would be interesting to know how much they can actually hear and/or feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks