Just ordered parts for new sub! Opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Chris Brock, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

ok I just ordered a 15" Dayton DVC from PE. I already have an enclosure built that is 6 cubic feet and is tuned to 21hz. I also ordered a Nady XA900 power amp from www.musiciansfriend.com. The Nady amp is rated at 675wrms x 1 @ 4ohms. for both items including shipping and the materials to build the box it came up to around $375. How do you think this setup will perform? do you guys think I did good for the money? this is the largest HT sub project I have done so far so im very excited!!

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Chris,

Your ordered the Nady!! Congrats! Actually, I found out Musicians Friend is shipping my Nady out of Kansas City - and I will not receive it until the 27th. [​IMG] - However, for the great price, I'll willing to wait.

I had the 15" Dayton DVC driver. I had it installed a in 3 Cu. ft. box. With that being the case, I know the driver was not reaching its full potential. Also, I had a 200 watt plate amp driving the sub. However, it provided a nice amount of bass - and at levels that I didn't use on a daily basis.

I think the combo you picked is a good one and will serve you well.

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Looks like it's going to roll off around 25hz w/out considering room gain. Seems like if i were sacrificing the low end I would go ahead and go sealed which gives ya a F6 of 27hz w/ a much much softer roll off and would probably sound tighter and more responsive for music. Also, that size box w/ a single 4" port or dual 3" ports is probably going to cause some chuffing due to port compression because the air-speed in the ports will be very high.

Also, you may want to consider that with no rumble filter on your pro amp the driver will unload very quickly below the tuning point so any sub-sonics in movie soundtracks could possibly cause the sub to bottom out. The 15" DVC has a fair amount of x-max, but some demanding scenes at reference levels have information all the way down to 5hz.

If you don't mind building another larger box then 9.5 cu ft tuned to 21hz will get you really close to a 20hz F3 which is very desirable for movies. If you're set on cabinet you have I'd probably seal it and consider a BFD or Linkwitz Transform to boost the low end since you're going to have plenty of power headroom at your disposal.

Even just the sealed sub with plenty of power and good room placement is going to sound really good and go fairly deep. I don't think the extra 2hz extension you gain by porting are worth it, especially since you're risking the driver unloading below the tuning point and sacraficing some speed/accuracy because of the increased group delay. The shallow roll-off of a 6 cu ft sealed cabinet and that driver means there'll still be plenty of output down near the 20hz range.

Good luck [​IMG]

4. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

Stepehn,thank you for the input! i truly have no problems building a larger box and honestly my long term plan is that when my wife and I get our new house built i want to get another 15" DVC and build a beast that woudl be up around 20 cubes and tuned to 15 - 16hz, but that wont be for a while. the port is actually a slot port design that is 3" x 14.5" so hopefulyl i wouldnt experiance any airflow probelms. this box was actually originally intended for a Shiva.
    I had not even considered going with a sealed box until now. I will definitly be taking a look at that route though because you make a good point about the lack of a rumble filter.

Wayne, yeah I couldnt wait man! I was thinking of going with the 1100 but being in the middle of new home construction im trying to save some cash. We will definitly have to report back about our impressions of these amps after we get to play with them some!

5. David_P

David_P Stunt Coordinator

I really like to hear opinions/reviews on how the Nady amp works out... a detailed review like the Behringer 2500 review by Tom Roshawk (sp?) in thi forum would be great to see.

Dave

6. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

I will definitly do my best to post my impressions of it. I am actualyl not the only one on the forum that jsut bought one. Wayne Ernst just bought the XA1100 model so we should both be able to give some insight.

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

David,

That's Tom Rosback! [​IMG] I think I still owe him a meal for giving me a ride back to my hotel that cold September night during CEDIA 2002. I have no desire to go to Minnesota this time of year so he'll have to come down to GA! [​IMG]

8. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Like Chris, I'll also make every attempt to give my best impressions. Tom did a great job of reviewing the Behringer - with lots of great details.

Chris:

Don't let the tracking system from Musician's Friend frustrate you. My amp has been on the truck for over 24 hours now - and I do have a tracking number, but the info. on my order at the M.F. site still says "being packed." Crazy.

David:

Hopefully the Nady does provide what I'm looking for. 47 Lbs. of "beast" is heading my way as we speak. I guess I can't keep it on the same shelf as my 63 Lb. H/K receiver. [​IMG]

9. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

do you realize that is well over 100 pounds of amps? that is really kinda crazy when you start to think about it.

10. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Stunt Coordinator

My 90lbs of amp cost me $800 [​IMG] beat that with a sub grand stick [​IMG]

NAD 314
    NAD 912
    HK225
    NAD 704