Just ordered online for the first time, kind of worried!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ShaneH, Aug 21, 2002.

1. ShaneH

ShaneH Stunt Coordinator

I just ordered some car speakers from sounddomain.com. I live in Canada and am a little worried about the what if's. I have heard the horror stories of packages being left on the door step, and of shipping damage problems. They ship "United States Postal Service Air Parcel Post" to Canada, is this a good shipping service? I used Visa but the total was just the cost of the speakers plus shipping. When are the other costs applied such as provincial tax and brokerage fees etc, etc? Is this added on to the Visa as well? Thanks for the help.
    Also has anyone dealt with absolutecaraudio.com before?

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

There's no tax involved if you buy it elsewhere. That's one of the best parts in buying online.

There's nothing to worry about, worst case scenario is the package doesn't arrive. Postal services track their packages... though there are cases like in "cast away" when the fed ex plane goes down on a desserted island and Tom Hanks has to use your driver as a toilet. j/k

If the company is fraud you could contact your bank to get your money back.

But remember, once you start buying great deals online, it gets harder and harder to buy at local resellers.

3. Andy Hardin

Andy Hardin Stunt Coordinator

Haven't ordered from there personally, but I know it is a very highly regarded retailer from those that order online. I have heard great things from them at www.caraudioforum.com. I don't think you will have a problem.
    I have heard of delays in shipments from Canada due to increased security from Sept 11, so you might want to build a few extra days before you get worried.
    I don't think you will have any problems though

4. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

The only advice I can give you is use a credit card NOT a debit card & always check the feedback ratings of the sites you order from. The reason is that a credit card will go to bat for you if there is ever an issue. Banks will say "well you authorized the debit so we cant do anything". American Express is what I use when ordering online (If its accepted) since they back you completely and often times extend your warranty.

Taxes will not happen but your shipment could go through customs and assigned brokerage fees its kind of hit and miss in my experience. What happens is that they stop and search your package then forward it on to you. Then about a month later you will receive a bill in the mail. Lucky for you I have only seen brokerage fees when using UPS or FedEx and not USPS.

KyleS

5. Daryl Furkalo

Daryl Furkalo Second Unit

Actually US to Canada USPS shipments have been extremely speedy lately. You will have to pay GST & PST when the post office notifies you of the delivery. There may be a $5CDN charge for Canada Post handling the brokerage charge too if the items declared value is high enough. That you will have to pay at the post office, it will not be billed to your credit card. If the item is under $20US then usually you don't get billed anything, over then the above charges.