What's new

Just ordered my SVS box sub... (1 Viewer)

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Well I told the lady if it is too big we can discuss it and maybe return it...we will see...

Bill Polley

Second Unit
Congrats, Chad! My wife looked at the 16-46PCi and just shook her head. That was 6 months ago. Now she decorates it. It sits in the corner with a seasonal wreath (now it is a flowered wreath) and vines hanging down. anyone who sees it thinks it is a plant stand. The wreath allows the top port to be wide open and completely free to "let off steam".

By the way, spend the cash ($120 from Zzounds) and get a BFD. Using it correctly on the SVS will make your sub sonically invisible. No boominess or muddiness, just what you are supposed to hear.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Well it looks like I won't get my 25-31pci until Monday/Tuesday because I was able to get a B-Stock at the last minute...Thanks to SVS and there quick response. Great service. I wish I would have it for the weekend to play with....

Bill Polley

Second Unit
Well, Chad...now you get to play the UPS tracking game! It's something most of us SVS owners played :)

Jaydee, guess I don't know what the Big F'ing Deal is.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Yes that is true but it has not shipped yet because I switched the order at about 4pm yesterday when I saw that they had a b-stock in. If I would have stayed with my original order I would probably have it friday but hey $50 is $50 ...I can wait but I have nothing else planned this weekend besides maybe a little house hunting and now I will need to keep busy so I don't think/dream SVS...

jaydee

Stunt Coordinator
Bill Polley says:

By the way, spend the cash ($120 from Zzounds) and get a BFD. Using it correctly on the SVS will make your sub sonically invisible. No boominess or muddiness, just what you are supposed to hear.

Well...Bill Polley, what is the BFD you mention in the post above mine.

jaydee

Stunt Coordinator
Found out what the Big F'ing Deal was through your link following my post. Thats real geniuse DUDE!

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
That is a great link for understanding the Behringer Feedback Destroyer, alias BFD. I've read it many times and it's been a wealth of information.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Well it looks like monday it will be delivered. NO I will not be taking off of work. UPS usually delivers after 5:30. This is from past experience when I ordered all my speakers.
So my guess is between 5-6:30 which is late but at least I don't have to take off of work.
Which do demo first...blue man group, toy story 2, Star Wars
Episode 1.....Monsters inc the sock scene.
Any other suggestions.
WOW I still can't believe I ordered one....

Bill Polley

Second Unit
In Monsters Inc...when the giant chicken steps off the curb on the way to work...WOW!

I really like the chopper scenes in "We Were Soldiers". The whole house shakes the entire time the helicopters are hovering.

jaydee

Stunt Coordinator
I never hear anyone mention Blackhawk Down. Any reason why?

I know I'm a little crazy, but I think this is a great HT movie for bass.

Justin H

Stunt Coordinator
The first thing I did was pop in LOTR Extended, a movie I have watched a number of times with my SA-WM40. I had difficulty swallowing how much more bass mas pumping out of the SVS than the little Sony, not in volume but in extension and accuracy. There is so much more deep stuff in the Moria scenes to hear. It was a totally new experience. That would be my first suggestion. I then went through the Toy Story 2 intro, Ep I and II, Monsters Inc. etc....They will all do you just fine. Pick stuff you are familiar with so you can really hear the differences.

That scene in Monsters where the whole electrical system in the building blows is an awesome tester too.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
One scene I will test is in MI II with the whole dance thing. Lots of bass there.

DavidLC

Agent
Been slowly upgrading my system so I am really interested in your opinion of the SVS PB1-ISD box. I am going to audition the Def. Tech. Supercube I & II (which are getting tremendous reviews) this weekend. But at half the price, the SVS box may be the way to go. Please post your impressions ASAP. I'll hold my purchase up for another few weeks (hard to do) so keep us informed.
Thanks!

Current system
Amp Yamaha RX-V620
Def Tech SM 450's Main
Def Tech 2000 Center
Bose in the back (last to be replaced after the sub purchase)

Leif Wall

Second Unit
I only have a 20-39cs, but I found Blackhawk Down to be severly lacking in bass. I had to check to make sure my sub was on. :confused:

I would go with Titan AE (DTS) or The Haunting (DTS) as your first disc to test out.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter

Here's something I copied from one of Tom Vodhanel's posts on the DT "Super"cube.

DT supercube II($899)

25-63hz~96.9dB/25hz~85dB

Some alternatives close in performance,

Klispch KSW10($199 on line?) - 96.9 / 25hz~85
PHASE tech power8($249?) - 98 / 25hz~84
Energy S8.2($199?) - 97 / 25hz ~82
VELODYNE CT80 - 97.0 / 25hz~81

The data speaks for itself.

Chris James

Stunt Coordinator
I only have a 20-39cs, but I found Blackhawk Down to be severly lacking in bass. I had to check to make sure my sub was on.
Black Hawk Down has some serious bass levels. Chapter 4 (Irene) has extreme subsonic frequencies, probably 15Hz or so. When the screen shows the glass bouncing, you walls should be also.

(Played through a 16-46PCi) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks