Just ordered my first SVS!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Dan_J_H., Mar 25, 2005.

1. Dan_J_H.

Dan_J_H. Stunt Coordinator

After many months of reading great things about SVS subwoofers, I finally pulled the trigger.

I ordered the pb12-plus/2 subwoofer (in textured black). I originally was going to buy a pair of cylinder SVS subs but decided the dual 12" woofers in this sub would be great and a bit less expensive. I have never had a subwoofer before. My (11 year old) 3-way Cerwin Vega main speakers have 15" woofers which I felt had incredible bass. Now that I'm building a dedicated HT in my basement, I am buying all new speakers.

I recently bought the KEF Q11 (mains) Q10c (center channel) and Q2ds (dipole surround speakers).

My receiver is a Pioneer Elite VSX-36TX and DVD a Pioneer Elite DV-37. I will be buying a front projector shortly before my HT room is done. For now, I would probably go with the Panasonic AE-700.

This subwoofer weighs about 140lbs in the box! How does the UPS guy bring it up to my house? Do they send 2 guys with a bigger truck?

Click on the link to view my HT construction progress.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/danjh38

2. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Excellent choice! [​IMG]

3. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Your start is what many end up with. Think of all the $$ you just saved[​IMG]

4. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Great choice for a new sub and will probably be your last for quite a while.............I have one of the original PB2+ and YES, they are really monsters!
    When mine was delivered, the driver was a pretty old man (retired I think) and he called and asked me to meet him. We simply loaded the huge box into my truck and I had to get it into my house by myself. Not only heavy, it is BIG too. My only suggestion is to have some good neighbors, friends and begin taking vitamins NOW......

The downside to the SVS PB2+ is that you will become very demanding about your LFE. It will kick your butt and you will begin to refuse to visit anyone who doesn't have a SVS. You could very well end up like another member here named Frank!.........a real bass-a-holic..... kinda like a lot of us!

5. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Dan,

I'm fairly sure Donny's experience is unusual ;^)

The PB12-Plus/2 won't go by UPS, it'll come via Bax Global or one of the other freight companies we use for regional coverage. Typically this is via a lift gate truck and the driver should have a cart that'll wheel it right to your garage or front door.

I actually recommnend a garage first so you can unbox the sub and not clutter your room with the carton, foam inserts etc.

From there it's definitely a two-person lift operation with the big SVS PB's -- though I've moved plenty of them my 14yr old son, a Hollywood executives eager to hear his (an even heavier Ultra/2), and in at least one instance my wife, who was just sitting around looking way too rested one day ;^)

You can call the company indicated on your shipping notice and arrange a time that's good for you, and your help.

Ron

6. Mark Danner

Mark Danner Stunt Coordinator

Congrats!! I bought a PB12-ISD/2 a few months ago and it is awesome. I cant imagine one of the plus series subs. The guy that delivered mine didnt have a lift gate on his truck because he did mostly commercial deliveries. It was interesing to say the least helping him lift it off of the truck. Luckily I still had my parents dolly because the driver couldnt get his truck all the way in to my complex (the driver didnt have a dolly with him). I also was fortunate in that the driver helped me get the sub inside. A little tip for you....leave the sub in the bottom part of the box and slide it close to where you want to position it. Then you can lift it out of the box from there. I positioned my sub all by myself this way. I lifted the back end of the sub out of the bottom part of the box and then tipped and slid the box out from under the sub. Pretty simple actually. Anyways enjoy!!! [​IMG]

7. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    At 140 lbs. I guarantee that you will need some good friends over to put this puppy in place.

Great choice on a great sub.

Parker

8. PeteZ

PeteZ Extra

From all the comments here, it sounds like these subs are fantastic for HT use. How do they perform in music applications? Also, do they make loud booming bass, or are they more of a tight, quick response bass?

9. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

Dan,
    Congrats on the purchase. You will love it!!!
    Since my first SvS purchase it is extremely difficult tolerating movies at my friends house. When there subs barely hit 35hz there is so much missed.

I am running out of excuses and will have to start going over their houses again.

Maybe I can put a couple of handles on my PB10isd.

10. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Pete:

I have not had an SVS mated with my Maggies (soon.....very soon), but I used to own Paradigm Studio/100s - very good speakers, as you may agree. The best compliment I can pay the SVS with regard to music is that I never really knew how much it was contributing until I turned it off. If you properly calibrate it to your mains, I think you'll find it's musical properties are excellent. If you read some professional reviews on the SVS products you'll find that they will concur. Good clean bass is good clean bass.

11. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Congrats on a great purchase. Personally, I can't wait to see the completed theater pics, as it looks like it's coming along nicely.

12. Clint

Clint Stunt Coordinator

Purchased the PB12-Plus/2 a while back and I love it!!! You will not be dissapointed. I was lucky to have a big friend and a cart help me haul that behemoth. Hate to admit that I have become a bass snob (thanks SVS). [​IMG]

13. MikeNg

MikeNg Second Unit

Welcome to the next level dude. You'll never listen to bass the same again.

Mike

14. Eric Ha

Eric Ha Stunt Coordinator

Remember to calibrate it, and use a parametric eq if necessary. My PB2+ didn't drop my jaw until I had a flat frequency response from it, then [​IMG]

15. Dan_J_H.

Dan_J_H. Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the comments! I really hope I get delivery this week.

Dan