What's new

just ordered my B4 Plus Sv sub.... (1 Viewer)

John Doran

Screenwriter
well, just put the order in for the B4 Plus, Crown K1, Rane PE17 package. now the wait...

i'm pretty pumped.

if i survive my first set of test-DVD's the day i get it, i'll post my thoughts.

- jd

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
John congratulations. How did you order the B4-PLUS? Did you just send them a mail?

John Doran

Screenwriter
yeah - i emailed tom regarding the details of the order (finish, amps, etc.), and then called erik directly to place the order.

now all i have to do is tell my wife...

- jd

John Doran

Screenwriter
it's about 27x17x8, but it's open on the side into the dining room and kitchen.

i'm sure it's (way) more power than i need - in fact, i'm counting on it; it's all about the headroom...

- jd

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Absolutely John. I agree 100%. I am in the same situation. Not quit as big but 10FT ceilings. Living-room__Dinning-room situation. Two entrances and a opening on each side of the main entrance. All that headroom and knowing what you have just waiting to be unleashed, should really put your mind at eas when it comes to bass.

Cam S

Screenwriter
John, your a lucky man. I'd hate to see the shipping charges for that sub though!

TommyL

Supporting Actor
I wonder if that sucker would be overbearing in my 11x13 HT room? I use a 2039pci currently, and love it...I'm thinking about one of the 2 myself...just don't know if the wife would be as curious to ask me "how much" it was...:) THere is another step up from that one correct? hmm...decisions:) Let us know how it goes!! tom

BrianKR

Second Unit
john d,
nothing will prepare you for what you are about to hear/feel! :emoji_thumbsup: One question though, are you on speaking terms with your neighbors?

John Doran

Screenwriter
cam,

i agree about the shipping. but it's a necessary evil, and a price i'm ultimately more than willing to pay to get something like the B4...

brian,

actually, we just moved to a new apartment and the only adjoining walls in the living room are the ceiling and floor, and despite my efforts to find the upper limit to the volume my new neighbours will find acceptable, i have yet to get any complaints...

this just might do it, though - i've watched movies at about 106db peak, but i can't go higher without my subs distorting, and since reference level is about 10db above my current high-volume, and since that's twice as loud, and since the B4 will be doing (very) appreciable volume between 10hz and 20hz, and....

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
This just in. Apartment building in Toronto has just collapsed. Witnesses say just before the building fell they saw John Doran running from the entrance with a large grin on his face.

I'll let you know if I can hear it from Oakville.

John Doran

Screenwriter
john,
i currently have def tech bp2000tl's, which have built-in powered 15" subs, which are ok - fast and accurate bass within their range - it's just that their range isn't low or loud enough; during the khazad-dum scene in lotr, they audibly distort at around 106db, which is just unacceptable for me. also, who knows what i'm missing between 10hz and 20hz?
still don't know what shipping's gonna run me - when erik lets me know (this is one of, if not THE, first B4 they're shipping to canada), i'll let you know. probably be pretty pricey, though...maybe it'll be classified as an acoustic weapon and i'll have to buy a license or something... :D
- jd

Seth_L

Screenwriter
John,

You must be nuts buying that sub and living in an apartment. You either have deaf neighbors, or you're going to get a slew of complaints within minutes of powering it up. You will get complaints from adjacent neighbors from a PE DLS 10. This thing will get you complaints from everyone in the building.

Seth

John Doran

Screenwriter
you may well be right, seth - you may well be right.
we'll see...
it's interesting, actually - there are train-tracks that pass by across the highway from my building, and even 15 floors up, when a train passes by in just the right way, there's an occasional and brief pressurizing of the room and subsonic vibration that resembles the LFE effects of some of my dvd's when i play them loud; i think that during those passages of the movies, when i'm really firing it up, my neighbours feel their apartments shake in the same way they do when trains pass, and thus assume that a train is, in fact, passing by. and thus don't associate it with me....
other than that, i can't understand my not having already received complaints - we moved into our current unit from a smaller one two floors up in the same building, and the lady above me there would complain if i cut a loud fart.
maybe it's just that my new neighbours are reasonable people and don't expect complete silence from the apartments around them (as i neither expect nor receive from those around me)....nahhh...that couldn't be it - i might have to review my belief in the basic unreasonableness of the average (wo)man....
but i'll let you know.
- jd

A

Anthony_Gomez

who knows what i'm missing between 10hz and 20hz
I think to truely experience this, you need a sealed system. Ported systems with their natural roll off and HO filters leave out a lot of the sub 20hz info (maybe 18 or 16hz for EBS or special case drivers).
I know that you can tune this particular sub by plugging ports, but they you loose headroom with port compression. Plug two ports up, and you approximate the venting capabilities of a single tempest system. also, the lower you tune, you will either create a shelf, saddle, or "straignt angled" roll-off (assuming that 25hz is flat with a well behaved rolloff)
..but for about 20hz you will be fine. above 25hz, and you crack plaster :)

A

Anthony_Gomez

John, invite your neighbors over for a movie night some time. Chances are they will want to come over again...and you gain some "respect and leeway" with those envious neighbors:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks