Just Ordered My Axiom's : )

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jason F., Jun 29, 2003.

1. Jason F.

Jason F. Stunt Coordinator

Well I finally pulled the trigger and I have to say that Axiom has AWESOME customer service!!! I called them this morning and Joe called me back in under 5 minutes. He was very knowlegdable and wasn't pushy. I ordered the VP150, M22's and 3 QS8's. I ordered the QS8's in the custom eggshell white (wife made me)!! It will take about 6 weeks b/c of the custom finish but that OK b/c we don't close on the new house till the end of August. I just wanted to say thank you to all the friendly people here, if it weren't for you I would've probably gotten Bose[​IMG] Now if I could just decide on Receiver's!

2. Jeffrey R

Jeffrey R Stunt Coordinator

Congrats Jason on the Axioms. You should love them. I own the M22's, VP-150 and QS8's as well, and am extremely happy with the performance. If you have any questions on setup when you get them, feel free to post here or on the Axiom forum. My M22's and VP-150 are black, but I ordered the QS8's in the maple to blend into the wall, and they really do blend in quite well. I'm sure the new custom finish will look great as well.

3. Dan_Jones

Dan_Jones Stunt Coordinator

Joe's great. He was very helpful with me after a horrible dorm move in day that left the cabinet for one of my M3's mutilated. Was very helpful, offered to service it himself for simply the cost of shipping, then after finding out how much shipping was going to be ($50 through FedEx) he just sent me out a new cabinet and I just had to cover their shiping which was much less.

Axiom's great. I can't say enough about them. Oh, and the Speakers are fantastic as well (2xM50, VP100, 2xM3)

4. Jason F.

I am communication with Tom from SVS right now and there customer service is top notch also! Just trying to decide between the 25-31pc+ or the 20-31pc+....decisions decisions....

5. Albert Damico

Albert Damico Stunt Coordinator

As you won't be getting your speakers for a while, I might suggest you calling Axiom back and just having conversation with them regarding using a third M22 as a center rather than the VP-150. I had both. Timber matching can be more important than you think, especially across the front. Three exact same speakers can be superior to to mains and a different speaker as the center, even it comes from the same company. It won't hurt to just discuss it with them. You will find that Alan Loft and quite a few other Axiom users prefer three M22's rather than the VP-100 or 150. It took me 3 years of struggle to get it right, 3 seperate centers, different mains, calibrating, etc. etc. etc. It wasn't until I went with three speakers the same that I realized how important timber matching was and why THX standards require the same speakers. The QS speakers rock, you will love them! [​IMG]

6. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

Albert,

A most interesting experience about your CC. I have an Axiom setup with M60Ti/VP100/M3Ti/SVS 20-39CS+. Although I am generally happy with the VP100 as a center channel, there are times when I feel that it has somewhat of a pinched or tinny sound. That may be a funcion of location (on top of my DV set inside an armoire).

IAC, I've wondered if I would benefit by moving to the VP150. I am cautious because it uses the same drivers as the VP100 and I wonder if I would still have the timbre problem that I sometimes perceive. I certainly can't use another M60 for a CC!

I am now beginning to wonder how the QS4 or 8 would sound compared to my M3ti surrounds too.

My HT room is a compromise with one surround in a corner and the other in an opening to another room (both on stands).

I've heard that I should expect a significant improvement with the VP150, but am loath to try it and incur the shipping costs if it's just more of the same.

7. Jason F.

I never thought about that Albert. I would have the lay the M22 on it's side, would that be possible?

Rick I did alot of research here and at AVS forum and I was going to go with the VP100 but EVERYBODY told me that the 150 was WAY better! I would highly recommend it just from reading countless post on the two centers.

8. Brian Pokosh

Brian Pokosh Agent

Albert - thanks for the advice on having three identical speakers for the front. Axiom is the brand I've been leaning towards for my new 7.1 setup, but how important is it to have all three front speakers at the same height? I know I'd want the left and right to be at or near ear level, but that won't be possibile with the center since the screen for my projector takes 52" of my 7 foot tall room.

Has anyone heard both the QS4 and QS8? The QS8 seems a bit too expensive for me right now. Or with this type of speaker would I not need 2 speakers for the surround back? 3 QS8's wound cost about the same as 4 QS4's.