Just ordered MIT Terminator 2 speaker cables. Did I do O.K.?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Dec 31, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Audio Advisor has MIT Terminator speaker cables on clearance. For the past couple of days, I have considered buying a couple of pairs, and I broke down this morning. I just bought two 12-foot pairs of the Terminator 2 cable, which is the best one of the Terminator line, for my biamped stereo system. The savings are very significant. The MSRP for a 12-foot pair is/was $312, but Audio Advisor has them priced on their web site at $187/pair. On top of that, Audio Advisor is offering a 10% discount on clearance items (enter coupon code "DISCOUNT"; offer ends midnight tonight, 12/31/02), so I got them for about $168/pair. I then bought ICONN banana plugs that screw on the ends for about $13.50 per pack of four. So, for $390 I got the two pairs of speaker cables and the banana plug connectors. I feel as though I got a good deal, but what do you think? Is anyone out there using MIT speaker cables? How do you like them? If I am not happy with them, I can return them for a full refund within 30 days of receipt, so I have nothing to lose.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

All comes down to you Keith and what you think. Good luck.

4. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

I don't have any personal experience with MIT's, but I would be interested in hearing your impressions. It does sound like you got a pretty good deal.

5. Chris Strnad

Chris Strnad Auditioning

Front L/R: Definitive BP2000TL
    Center: Definitive CLR2000
    Side (rear) L/R: Definitive BPX
    Receiver: Denon AVR5700
    I have them on my front channels & subs, and after doing a simple a/b with standard 14ga speaker wire, I was only barely able to hear a nearly imperceptible difference in the vocal range and high end. I'm not sure how the black box affects the low end, since I didn't try to make a comparison there.
    I really don't have an opinion for or against using the MIT wires, since I've had them on my system since I purchased it.
    My only advice is to be careful with the ends. I had to take one back for replacement as the threaded end pulled out--it is only held in with what I could only describe as crimp-clips, not solder.
    --
    http://www.geocities.com/majerror

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chu said:

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

You 'might' find this of interest...
    MIT Terminator 2 capacitance: 249.5 pf/m resistance: 0.049 ohm/m inductance: 3.2 uH
    Monster Cable M850 capacitance: 118.4 pf/m resistance: 0.053 ohm/m inductance: 0.9 uH
    Monster Cable M350 capacitance: 137.2 pf/m resistance: 0.122 ohm/m inductance: 1.2 uH

I've no idea for the values of the BetterCables product.

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chu, I am not an electrical engineer. Could you please give me a layman's view of the significance of these values and how they might influence performance? For resistance and inductance, are there threshold values that I should be aware of that might serve as an indicator of superior or inferior performance? For example, the rule of thumb is usually to avoid amps that have a THD greater than or equal to 0.1%. Finally, where did you obtain the data for these cables?

9. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

obtained from usenet although some companies, like cardas and i think audioquest publish #'s too. some companies you need to ask what their values are, which they really ought to have if solely from the point of view of running periodic quality checks. if you've got oodle and oodles of inductance, it just might drop the top portion of the frequency response down low enough where it results in a just noticeable difference. the resistance is related to the effective gauge of the wires. capacitance is not really an issue unless it goes so sky high and you've got a problemeatical amp. if you want, i'll forward you other values on an FYI basis.

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chu, thanks for the information. Are the numbers you quoted for RCA interconnects or speaker cables? MIT makes a Terminator 2 interconnect as well as the speaker cables. Monster makes M350i and M850i interconnects, but I am not aware of such speaker cables.

11. Hank

Hank Guest

That is were I got my MIT T2 Bi-wire set along with MI-330II interconnect. These are great deals.

Keith,

You will love the sound of your system once the cables break in. Enjoy!

12. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hey keith -
    i know you know your gear...so i would love to hear your thoughts once you give those bad boys a test run!
    if you post a separate review, be sure to update this thread so i'll know!
    [​IMG]

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Hank,
    Thanks. I hope you are right. [​IMG]
    Ted,
    Will do.