Just ordered Grado SR-60 Headphones!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Bob Kavanaugh, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Bob Kavanaugh

Bob Kavanaugh Second Unit

I just ordered the Grado SR-60 headphones from nax.com
    They were only $67 shipped, so I pounced on them. I did a little research before I bought, and these and the SR-80 headphones seemed to have the most "bang for the buck". I decided on the smaller ones mainly because of the price.

I do have some questions though. I've seen varied thoughts about these "cans" all over the net, but I trust you guys the most.

1) Have you noticed any improvement by using a dedicated headphone amp? I never intend to play these loud, I just want clean music. If yes what amp?

2) What portables do YOU drive these with? I've heard that older portable cd players sound better since anti-skip and battery conservation hurt the output of newer players.

3) Any experience using these with your HT receiver? I have a Sony STR-DA2ES, and I know nothing about the headphone out on it.

4) Ear pads. Most call the stock ones uncomfortable. Are they unbearable? Where do you find replacement foam?

Thanks.

2. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

My local high end audio store just gave me a set of softer ear pads. I then (after getting advice on this forum) cut a hole in them about the size of a quarter and I couldn't be happier. They sound the same but are now very comfortable.

As far as the amp, you don't need it. I have the sr 80's and I found that the amp made a very small difference when I used it with my walkman. I could not tell a difference when I used it with my receiver (Yamaha rxv 3000). The 60's are said to show even less of a difference with a headphone amp.

One word of warning, buying Grado's has made it much harder to enjoy listening to music on my main system. I will soon be upgrading my main speakers.

3. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I have owned my pair of SR60 for at least 5 years. I have always used them with my Panasonic portable CD player (PCDP) sans amp. Sound quality was very good, even with the 10 second anti-shock buffer switched on. Sound quality does improve a little with the buffer off, not a major difference. I recently purchased a pair of Sennheiser PX100 lightweight headphones, which were highly rated by those at Head-Fi.org, but even after extensive listening, the SR60 still tops the PX100. I suggest you check out the site for more opinions about "head-fi" issues.

I recently started looking for a replacement for my 5 year old Panasonic PCDP, and after long searches on the internet and in B&M stores, followed by auditioning some of the current players, I am totally disgusted at the state of players. No more defeatable anti-shock buffer. No more beefy headphone outputs. Sound quality, in general, sucks. Very disappointed.

So I drag out my old component Sony CD player (about 13 years old) which featured a headphone jack with its own volume control. Now, this is not any Sony ES series CD player or anything like that. With the combination of Grado SR60 and the Sony, my CDs (and CD layers of hybrid SACDs) sounded much better than even my old Panasonic PCDP. I am surprised I didn't have this setup sooner.

Now, flirting with the idea of a headphone amp for the Sony CD player....

The pads?? I am still using the original pads and they're OK. But that's just me.

4. Bob Kavanaugh

Bob Kavanaugh Second Unit

5. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

i use SR-80s. i dont mind the pads, love the sound, dont use an amp (with receiver, computer, or ipod). i do listen to a lot of mp3s though, so keep that in mind.

6. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

I've owned a pair of Grado SR-60s for the past 8 months.

2) What portables do YOU drive these with? I've heard that older portable cd players sound better since anti-skip and battery conservation hurt the output of newer players.

- I've used my Sony MP3 player on occasion. The sound is quite good with this portable. [​IMG]

3) Any experience using these with your HT receiver? I have a Sony STR-DA2ES, and I know nothing about the headphone out on it.

- I currently own the H/K AVR-7200. I owned the Sony STR-DA4ES before that. The Grados did quite well with both systems.

4) Ear pads. Most call the stock ones uncomfortable. Are they unbearable? Where do you find replacement foam?

- I've never found my stock pads to be uncomfortable. When I first got the headphones, I explanded the headband a bit - so it didn't fit quite so tight. They are quite comfortable now. [​IMG]