Just ordered an SVS!! Quick question...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AndrewW, Oct 25, 2001.

1. AndrewW

AndrewW Stunt Coordinator

After countless hours reading reviews, downloading manuals, begging the wife [​IMG], getting diagnosed with an ulcer (no kidding).. etc, I just ordered a 25-31PC..I also ordered the 3M Better Cables interconnect. Should I use that cable, or purchase a Monster Cable sub cable? I can use the BC for my DVD cable if the Monster would do the SVS more justice.
    Also, I have some old JBL LX800's for my mains which have a port in the back. Because of my limited space, the sub will be placed behind (less than a foot)the right JBL speaker..will the port on the JBL hinder the performance of the sub any?? Silly question probably.
    Well, I hope this sub will be all it's cracked up to be..it's replacing a 6yr old YST80 70 watt Yamaha sub that just can seem to keep up with The Phantom Menace. Anyway, Thanks.

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Hi Andrew, I doubt you'd notice any difference between the BC cable and the Monster unit...as long as both were shielded well enough and used proper construction methods...there's nothing I can see to pick one from the other(performance wise).
    TV

3. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Andrew,
    Thanks for the order. If that sub doesn't prove to be the single best upgrade you have ever made, I'll eat my keyboard here!
    As for the cable, I think I'd use the Better Cable for the sub. It certainly is the equal of any Monster cable I know of. I would just make sure you use the most appropriate length for the location (if one cable is too short, swap in other words).
    And don't worry about that port on your main speaker. As long as it isn't right up against the wall it's not a problem at all.
    Ron

4. JerryIII

JerryIII Stunt Coordinator

AndrewW,
    Congrats on the new purchase.
    "I also ordered the 3M Better Cables interconnect. Should I use that cable, or purchase a Monster Cable sub cable? I can use the BC for my DVD cable if the Monster would do the SVS more justice."
    I don't think that the Monster cable would be any better than the Better Cables one.
    "Also, I have some old JBL LX800's for my mains which have a port in the back. Because of my limited space, the sub will be placed behind (less than a foot)the right JBL speaker..will the port on the JBL hinder the performance of the sub any?? Silly question probably."
    I don't think that the proximity of the port on the JBL to the SVS is going to be an issue. Do you plan on setting the mains to small?
    "Well, I hope this sub will be all it's cracked up to be..it's replacing a 6yr old YST80 70 watt Yamaha sub that just can seem to keep up with The Phantom Menace. Anyway, Thanks."
    I put together a HT for a friend of mine that included an SVS 25-31PC. The SVS arrived before the rest of his gear so I was permitted to audition it in my HT. Needless to say, my current sub would no longer due. Shortly after,I ordered and received a CS Ultra that I am just thrilled with. The pod race scene from The Phantom Menace WILL rock your world. I think that you will quickly forget the Yamaha sub.
    Welcome to the SVS club!
    Jerry

5. andy_brehm

andy_brehm Stunt Coordinator

I really want to get a SVS now after hearing all the rave reviews and testiments. The only problem is, Im broke, and I already bought a new sub. oh well, i guess I have something to look forward to if my sub ever shoots craps.

6. AndrewW

Jerry, yes, I was planning on having all speakers set on 'small'. That is what I should do, right??
    Andy...that's what the Visa's for [​IMG]
    Patiently [​IMG] waiting for the delivery.

7. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

8. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Andrew,
    I have 2 25-31's and I can say for a fact you WON'T be dissapointed. Welcome to the SVS club!!

9. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

10. Brian Fineberg

Brian Fineberg Second Unit

I just orederd mine yesterday!!! and wouldn't you know it, they shipped same day!!! It will be here tomorow and I CAN"T WAIT!! I don't know how you people who used to wait months for these things could stand it. Anyhow if youre wondering I got the 25-31cs customed to 22Hz. I am now part of the SVS "family"
    -B

11. KimR

KimR Auditioning

i recieved the 25-31PC on Monday and havn't been disappointed one bit. My expectations were high and exceed them. U will love it when u load TPM!

12. AndrewW

Holadem, what's so funny?? [​IMG]

13. JerryIII

JerryIII Stunt Coordinator

AndrewW,
    I have all my speakers set to small and crossed over at 60hz. You are going to be very happy with your new addition.
    Jerry

14. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Andrew,
    I think Holadem thinks it's funny because you compared the svs to a yamaha sub. There is no comparison. When you hook yours up and calibrate it, you will know exactly what holadem was laughing about. [​IMG]

15. Shanthi

Shanthi Stunt Coordinator

Andrew,
    Welcome to the SVS club...enjoy the sub.

16. Myram

Myram Second Unit

Got my 16-46PC Tuesday and this thing is great. I can't believe all the stuff that this thing rattles in the house.
    The Phantom Menace is awesome at reference level......louder the better!!
    I highly recommend SVS to anyone looking for a real subwoofer.
    ------------------
    Home Theater Page

17. andy_brehm

andy_brehm Stunt Coordinator

how many of you are running only 1 SVS? It seems there are several that are running 2 of them, that should give some good bass! [​IMG]

18. Mark_R

Mark_R Agent

I'm saving up for one of these (20-39pc) myself... unfortunately... it'll be a little while. I don't even have 5.1 speakers (just got the receiver). I think I'll get the other speakers first... then the sub (if I can resist). I hear this voice..."You will be assimilated; resistance is futile!"

19. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

I think bettercables uses or used to use canare GS-6 guitar cable for their sub cable. This is a coax design. Monsters cable is a twisted pair design and IMO would be a better choice between the two. Bettercable makes really good video cables but thier audio can be bettered by other brands. Try Rhinocables.com or DIYcables.com for a better sub cable than either. Both use Belden 89259 Teflon cable which is superior in this role. Better pitch definition and tightness.

20. Dave Vaughn

Dave Vaughn Stunt Coordinator

I have had my SVS 20-39PC since October 15 and have been nothing but pleased with it. I upgraded from a Velodyne CT-150 which I thought (at the time) was an excellent sub. A difference of night and day is all I can tell you. My nieghbor came over and listened to it and now he is going to order one as well. I am hoping he will let me borrow it for a couple of hours to hear what 2 of these bad boys will sound like!!! WELCOME TO THE SVS CLUB!!!! (BTW I used a bettercable (subwoofer cable) and it works great!)