Just ordered an RP-82. Advice anyone?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RANDY FISHER, Nov 14, 2002.

1. RANDY FISHER

RANDY FISHER Second Unit

Ok, I just ordered an RP-82 from Onecall.com for $206.10 delivered. What should I look out for when setting it up next week. I currently have a Sony 700p hooked up via component to my 36" Sony XBR400. Does progressive but I am dying to try out a player with no chroma bug and the Faroudja chip, and the price was right.
    thanks Randy[​IMG]

2. DougR

DougR Second Unit

Me Too....me too !!!!
    I just order one from them this morning .[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

Set "transfer mode" to Auto 1 and "picture" mode to Normal to start. After you've viewed a few DVDs, you might want to try the Cinema 1 or 2 picture modes, but always leave the transfer mode on Auto 1 to use the Faroudja deinterlacing. Make sure the progressive light is on (on the front panel if your using that output (seems simple, but I've seen a lot of people think it's been turned on when in fact it hasn't).

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

You also have to enable progressive mode in the player setup menu in order for the button on the front of the player or the progressive mode menu item in the "display" menu to work. It ships with progressive mode disabled.

5. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

If you haven't already done so, fix the red push on your XBR400. The RP82 seems to push a little red itself:
    http://homepage.mac.com/mscott/xbr400.html
    Otherwise, it's pretty much set and play. Just leave it in Auto 1 and Normal picture mode...

6. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

Can't say that I've experienced this. My RPTV was calibrated to 0% on red, blue and green with another DVD player (JVC), and the RP-82 is right on with those settings. I have had to kick up the black level (brightness) a bit though.

7. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

The RP82 definitely pushes the red more than my previous player, the Panny DVD-RV31. I have the 36" XBR450...

8. RANDY FISHER

RANDY FISHER Second Unit

Thanks for all the posts so far guys!
    Randy [​IMG]

9. AndyN

AndyN Agent

Sorry to ask this in your thread, but what is everyone using for their video settings, specially the block and mosquito noise stuff. Also where is the rp82 "accurate" on its brightness and contrast settings?

Andy

10. RANDY FISHER

RANDY FISHER Second Unit

I haven't touched the block noise settings. Does not seem to need it. Also, I use the "lighter" black level setting and I have settled on the "Cinema 1" instead of "normal" picture setting. I did not adjust the internal picture sttings of the player otherwise. Anyone else care to comment.

Randy

11. mike_snazzy

mike_snazzy Extra

just ordered 2 yesterday from onecall.com. Will be here tuesday.